Nerd Corps Sold For $57 Million

Board and Show news.

Nerd Corps Sold For $57 Million

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Dec 4 2014, 10:24 PM #1

Nerd Corps, the company that animated Dragon Booster, was just sold to DHX Media for $57 million. This means that DHX Media, the owner of Teletubbies and other properties, will now own the rights to all of Nerd Corps original shows which include Storm Hawks and League of Super Evil among others. The deal does NOT include the rights to Dragon Booster since, to the best of my knowledge, Nerd Corps never owned any of those rights. They produced the animation for Dragon Booster on a contractor basis, and as such, never acquired any rights.

Nerd Corps co-founder Asaph Fipke and president Ken Faier will assume senior executive posts in DHX Media's kids and family division. "Nerd Corps has an outstanding reputation and track record for high-quality animation, and we believe this is a perfect fit for DHX Media, one that will add significant value and expertise," DHX president and COO Steven DeNure said in a statement Tuesday.

For more information, you can read the complete article here:

Nerd Corps Acquired for $57 Million

What does this mean for DB fans? Well, if the show were ever to be rebooted then it now seems unlikely that Nerd Corps would be available to animate it since DHX Media probably wouldn't want to provide animation services for a show that would essentially compete with it's own properties. I would imagine that DHX Media would want to share the rights in such a case and it seems unlikely that the DB rights holders would see a reason to share when they could just hire a different animation house instead.

An interesting question is where does this leave all the digital assets used to create the animation? For example, who owns all the CG models for the characters and sets used in the show? My guess is probably no one. I don't know if the current rights holders got copies of the digital assets after production on the show concluded. If it were my show, I would have insisted on that and would have had that in the contract, but who knows. A lot of people don't think that far in advance and I've read about other shows that lost all their digital assets over time because no one bothered to keep track of them. Kind of a shame really.

Dragon Booster was the first show Nerd Corps ever produced, in the fact the company was basically created specifically to make Dragon Booster. They definitely did good work and the fact that they grew to be worth $57 million in 10 years is pretty cool.

atomicnewt2552
Academy Racer
atomicnewt2552
Academy Racer

Dec 13 2014, 08:37 PM #2

I would argue that DHX wouldn't be opposed to animating a competing show whatsoever. They've already gotten a proven track record working on licensed properties, for example Hasbro's "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" and "Littlest Pet Shop", or Sony Entertainment's "Johnny Test". In fact, their list of co-productions is absolutely massive. The people there are insanely talented, and I absolutely love for them to work on any reboot or continuation of the series.

Thanks to Renesh for the amazing run animation ^_^

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Dec 16 2014, 12:47 AM #3

IbanezJFS pointed out to me as well that DHX Media produces MLP among other shows that it doesn't own, so you're probably right in that the sale of Nerd Corps probably won't affect their future involvement with DB should anything ever happen with it.

I still have to wonder if all the digital assets from DB were saved or not. Even though you could have much more sophisticated CG models and sets with today's technology, I think the originals would still be of use as a reference if nothing else.

Zexeos
Elite Class Racer
Zexeos
Elite Class Racer

Feb 27 2015, 02:07 AM #4

I would die if the models were released online for download. I need those in my life.

phoenix97
Street Racer
phoenix97
Street Racer

Mar 4 2015, 03:06 AM #5

I would die if the models were released online for download. I need those in my life.
I agree with you, that would be awesome. That sort of thing happening is prorably just something from the dreams of fans, but if, hypothesis, that did happen, I would download them all and try to animate the academy episodes. If only such a thing would happen ... :wub:

Release the dragon. For the dragon is the light before the darkness.

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Mar 7 2015, 10:30 PM #6

Zexeos @ Feb 26 2015, 06:07 PM wrote:I would die if the models were released online for download. I need those in my life.
Oh, that would be so cool if you could get all the models and all the other assets (backgrounds, music and everything else). It would be fun just to see it all, but then we could try our hand at actually animating a little something with it. I doubt I'd be very good at it, but it sure would be fun to try! ^_^ :dance:

Zexeos
Elite Class Racer
Zexeos
Elite Class Racer

Mar 8 2015, 02:49 AM #7

The Furox @ Mar 8 2015 @ 08:30 AM wrote:Oh, that would be so cool if you could get all the models and all the other assets (backgrounds, music and everything else). It would be fun just to see it all, but then we could try our hand at actually animating a little something with it. I doubt I'd be very good at it, but it sure would be fun to try!
Well, I'm going to start college animation courses next year. You never know what might happen. ;3

Confirmation of reply: