CCWC vs WNC

June 19th, 2018, 1:34 am #1

I was hoping for an explanation as to why the best CCWC teams consistently post faster times than the national teams at the World Nations Championships. I'm fairly new to the sport (less than 3 years experience) but I was very surprised to see that national teams seemed to be slower than club teams. Is this really the case? If so, then why? I assumed that national teams would be able to stack boats faster than any club team. Or at the very least, it seems like they could simply send that year's fastest club team from nation X as X's national team. What am I missing?

June 29th, 2018, 1:41 am #2

The last WNC was in Kunming. Water was quite shallow there, hence the slower times.

July 2nd, 2018, 5:14 pm #3

Here is what your missing: water depth, wind, tides, water temperature, salinity, altitude.

These are the reasons why no official world records are kept for outdoor water sports.

For reference, an Open team from Taiwan at the recent Concord festival in Vancouver did the 500m course in 1:43. The tide was coming in (in the direction of the race course), their was a stiff tailwind, and the water is salty.