TO THE WEBMASTER - RE: Homepage Update for 07/25/01 - Who really won Montral?

It's Just Me Everyone!
It's Just Me Everyone!

July 26th, 2001, 7:09 pm #1

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just wondering why you would make a point on you're hompage page (07/25/01) of congratulating Mowat on getting 2nd at Montreal and make NO mention of the Scotia Spifires placing 1st overall?!@#$!

Quote: "Congratulations also go out to Mowat for placing second in Montreal. It seems youth led the way over the July 21-22 weekend."

This doesn't make sense to me. The youth did not lead the way, the Spitfires did, and it is disrespectful to only acknowlege the second place winner, when both teams are from Ontario and are part of your dragon boat ranking site. (BTW - I'm not a Spitfire, believe it or not). The Spitfires did an excellent job, as did Mowat and both deserve their kudos!

IMO - Maybe you should restrict your homepage updates to data and statistics and keep the editorial-type comments for the forum until you can deliver the news impartially and accurately.

So why Mr or Ms. Webmaster, oh why do you shun the Spitfires glory???

Don't you like the Spitfires? :o)

Just an oversight? :o(

Maybe you're from the Mowat team? ;o)

You're definitely not from the Scotia team... LOL!

Just curious...

Paddlehead.
Paddlehead.

July 26th, 2001, 7:27 pm #2

Leave the stats for the bean counters. Keep the editorials, I find them entertaining.

July 26th, 2001, 7:45 pm #3

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just wondering why you would make a point on you're hompage page (07/25/01) of congratulating Mowat on getting 2nd at Montreal and make NO mention of the Scotia Spifires placing 1st overall?!@#$!

Quote: "Congratulations also go out to Mowat for placing second in Montreal. It seems youth led the way over the July 21-22 weekend."

This doesn't make sense to me. The youth did not lead the way, the Spitfires did, and it is disrespectful to only acknowlege the second place winner, when both teams are from Ontario and are part of your dragon boat ranking site. (BTW - I'm not a Spitfire, believe it or not). The Spitfires did an excellent job, as did Mowat and both deserve their kudos!

IMO - Maybe you should restrict your homepage updates to data and statistics and keep the editorial-type comments for the forum until you can deliver the news impartially and accurately.

Just curious...
you ever think it was because it is just great to see youth taking up the sport and succeding. Scotia is an experienced respected team, I am sure no feelings were hurt, and if so two words, grow up, we no the Mowat youth has to but they have been forgiven do to lack of experience in the community. I think it is great to see a high school team come out of no where, and shows what can be done with good coaching. Imagine if the sport caught on with a lot of high schools and they started training in grade 9. In four years there go our medals. We would all be sitting back in our retirement homes weezing away and talking about when those service charging, bad service, give me a damn loan banks dominated(tirade of the day, guess it should really go on a whole other board) but hell what a powerhouse Canada would be and we would probably have fully dedicated Dragon Boat athletes.

July 26th, 2001, 8:06 pm #4

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just curious...
We thought it right to recognize Mowat AND the University of Toronto Piranhas because both are teams with young paddlers (under 25?) that have placed second and first in their respective regattas (Montreal and Waterloo).

This is something that never would have happened even a year ago.

Don't you think it deserves special recognition? We do.

Furthermore, if you wanted to really give it to us? How about CIBC for Sudbury? Canada Life and Sinai for Toronto? The Colorado Avalanche for the Stanley Cup? The .... (I think you can see our point here)

Seriously though, we are thinking of putting up a seperate page that lists the historical champs for all festivals for as far back as we can go. What do you guys think? We certainly don't have all the data so alot will depend on people giving us that info.

- The Dragon Boat Rankings Team

http://www.geocities.com/dragon_boat_rankings

I'm a proud Spitfire
I'm a proud Spitfire

July 26th, 2001, 8:38 pm #5

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just curious...
As a Spitfire, I appreciate the kudos on our accomplishment in Montreal. But I can assure you that no feelings were hurt because the webmaster did not mention our winning the event. The word is out that we won, and recognition of that from our fellow paddlers is what we seek. The hardware is nice too! :-)
I think it's great that Mowat is doing as well as they are, because I for one can tell you that I would die paddling at their rate of speed!
I can't believe how much this sport has evolved since I joined and look forward to the rest of the season and the years to come.
And...I'd just like to give a high 5 to the webmaster of this site....I spend at least an hour a day on this forum checking out all the updates! Any offers for me to join your team when I get fired from Scotia for spending my day on the internet! :-)
Keep up the good work.

Long Mike
Long Mike

July 26th, 2001, 8:50 pm #6

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just curious...
I am a Spitfire and I noticed the congrats going out to Mowat from the homepage. I wondered at the lack of mention of Scotia's first place finish too, but after some thought realized that the webmasters were encouraging the admirable performance of an up and coming team, not discouraging that of an established one. I realized that it was all in good fun and kept my big mouth shut.

That said, Just Me is correct in that the webmasters of this site actually are betraying a bias in saluting teams that are doing well IN THE OPINION OF the webmasters themselves. This kinda blows away the claim of alleged impartiality that the maintainers of this site profess. I don't think that it's a bad thing to have an opinion, but it is questionable to give a 'just the facts' speech and follow it up with 'and this is what the facts mean'. To be fair, the blurb might have said something like, 'Hey great for the Spitfires, but how about those kids from Mowat?' Courtesy and all. (I like the historical results idea too. Go for it.)

One other thing, before we become completely dazzled by the stellar performances of young teams:
1) They're young and healthy - shouldn't they be outgunning us old 'corporate bitches' all the time anyway? I think we'd die if we tried to paddle 90spm for more than 30 seconds.
2) They have almost as much paddling experience as a lot of older crews. 2/3rds of the oddly successful Spitfires have no more than 3 years experience in a boat, which is probably about as much as Mowat's A crew has too.
3) They may not be as strong as more mature boats, but I'll bet their team weighs in about 25% less than mine. :) (See point 1.)

I always expect these young crews to win. Why is everybody so surprised when they do well? :)

I'm not offended at all by the Spitfires not being mentioned with Mowat on the front page, but I think Just Me makes a point that editorial content should be presented in the forum, or perhaps in a dedicated editorials sections. When such comments are thrown out, without context, they can be misconstrued by the less-thoughtful reader.

I will now go back to work. :)

(Disclaimer: these are nobody's thoughts but my own. These views are not those of the Spitfires organization, sponsors, or old, lazy crew.)

July 26th, 2001, 8:59 pm #7

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just curious...
I just do not get this current complaint. On the rankings page does it not say 1,2,1 Scotia has there eye set on 1st overall or something like that. Editorial, as in all newspapers or columns is opinion. Youth did rule the day, a University Team won for the first time ever an overall competition, and a highschool team for the first time placed top 3 overall in a major event with over 100 boats. Scotia knows they are a respected and feared team. You have to give Kudo's to teams that have an amazing placing, which doesn't always mean first.

Cajunblue
Cajunblue

July 27th, 2001, 3:48 am #8

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just curious...
Hey, maybe if we can get the sport sanctioned we can get all these youngin's to contribute to some sort of pension plan to keep us in beer for life. You know...build us a little Retirement Marina where we can all sit around and bitch about the unfair starts and wake riding of yesteryear.

I say go kids go!

RTS
RTS

July 27th, 2001, 6:34 pm #9

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just curious...
Yes recognition is rewarding but, modesty is far more admirable. Winning comes in many forms and I certainly don't mean the hardware around your neck. The Spitfires have been around for awhile and have always been contenders but, I am surprised that this particular topic has even come up!

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 27th, 2001, 7:23 pm #10

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

Just curious...
RTS:

Don't assume the original post was authored by a spitfire.