Sober second look

Demon
Demon

August 8th, 2001, 4:16 pm #41

Perhaps the Power Ranking should be updated to reflect Madawaska's dominance of the NorAm Championships in Philly...a review of their times might suggest they are the fastest mixed crew in the world.

While the TCBA and GWN races seemed to be covered quite well the Ottawa race seems to be ignored. Ottawa is one of, if not, the best organized and competitive races in North America and don't take my word for it...talk to some of the knowledgable Toronto crews that have given up the Island to attend Ottawa for the last few years.

Thanks for the forum.
Apparently anyone can put a team together and then say we represent Canada and paddle in the worlds.

I know this at least for the Senior teams. If that's the case then perhaps Canada is not quite as disorganized as we think in comparison to the IDBF.

Imagine what the event would have been like if everyone knew that and we had all kind of teams jumping in with Canada on their backs. Or from any country for that matter.

Cheers

Rob Chang
Rob Chang

August 8th, 2001, 4:39 pm #42

Perhaps the Power Ranking should be updated to reflect Madawaska's dominance of the NorAm Championships in Philly...a review of their times might suggest they are the fastest mixed crew in the world.

While the TCBA and GWN races seemed to be covered quite well the Ottawa race seems to be ignored. Ottawa is one of, if not, the best organized and competitive races in North America and don't take my word for it...talk to some of the knowledgable Toronto crews that have given up the Island to attend Ottawa for the last few years.

Thanks for the forum.
For the seniors teams, additional entries were allowed since they did not have enough to round out the field (take a look at all those open lanes). Same goes for juniors, senior women, etc.

For other fully stocked categories (premier men, premier women and premier mixed) each nation had the right to send only one.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 8th, 2001, 7:17 pm #43

Thanks for the forum.
What the hell does any of what you say have to do about dragonboat. Who cares about highschool nicknames?

And by the way -- anyone can call themselves a "national team"...there is no athlete development program, open tryouts, or true and unbiased athlete selection.

Some countries (like Canada) can access a great deal of talented national level sprint paddlers -- many other countries cannot/will not/do not use sprint paddlers in their national d-boat teams. Some countries who actually invest money in their sports, this makes it difficult for top level sprint paddlers to find the time (or get a full-time coaches permission) to participate in "track-suit and ticket" events like the dragonboat worlds....our athletes are (sprint paddlers especially) talented but grossly underfunded...which helps us dominate in sports like dragonboat -- while USA national team sprinters are training and travellig to national competitions in their sport ours are dragonboating...

August 8th, 2001, 7:30 pm #44

Thanks for the forum.
while I agree with you that we should spend more money and develop our sports to call dragon boating a track suit and ticket event is ridiculous. It is the number one paddling sport in the world. It is a heck of alot more popular then any other flat water sport in the world, be it paddling or rowing. It is in it's infancy in North America and yet on a single day in June there are over 300 teams paddling on a single day in Ontario alone. Your right with some money and development maybe we can have dedicated dragonboaters like other countries may have. Let flat water paddlers concentrate on the events they do so well in and represent Canada at. For the time being though we will have to draw from them in order to send teams until some of the suggestions you and others have come to fruitation.

JP
JP

August 8th, 2001, 9:33 pm #45

Thanks for the forum.
Lots of CCA executive types in Philly last week. The sprint community thinks it should be governing the Canadian dragon boat scene. They just can't figure out how to get control. At the very least, they would like DBRCC to affiliate with CCA. It's a 'who needs who more' standoff at this point. If the status quo continues, the athletes may support a CCA direction. If a national organizing body can get up and running properly, then athletes may support that direction. Dragon boat needs to begin developing club programs for youth similar and separate from sprint. It's sort of like 5 and 10 pin bowling, baseball and fastball, football and rugby... you get my point?

RTS
RTS

August 9th, 2001, 1:31 pm #46

Thanks for the forum.
Well, unfortunately this is just another case of limited support of amateur athletics in Canada. Look at the last Olympics (for that matter look at the medal count of Australia), the recent World Track and Field event... no depth just two old guys limping off the field. The problem here goes well beyond the governing bodies of dragon boating. It goes straight to the top, our Government and private sector funding.
I have recently become acquianted with two brothers from Bulgaria...NO not the Hungarian Beduay brothers! They have now lived in Canada for a few years and have yet to see a strong paddling program that keeps the junior paddlers in the system. They too are experiencing the ultimate frustration of no funding and they are world ranked paddlers that will represent Canada at the next worlds and Olympics. The clincher was they recently attended the nationals in Montreal and almost didn't make it there because they had no way of transporting their boats!-- This is only one small point but even they were saying once the junior paddlers reach post secondary school age they all disappear. WHY... there's no financial support from our private and government sectors and no national pride in amateur sports.
Anyway enough of that. What we need is to improve all levels of amateur sports in Canada if we want to see our country create a future we need to support them than a few kind words from the sidelines.
BTW... HEY WHO INVITED THE KID... KEEP THOSE JUEVENILE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF.
hut

dumbass
dumbass

August 9th, 2001, 2:17 pm #47

Thanks for the forum.
RTS

I think the 2 brothers were both on the Canadian team that was in Philly this weekend...I know the bigger one (George, I think?) was there.

I think it's funny that some of our top paddlers are transported here from other countries...it just shows you the difference between the two types of government. The Eastern Europeans seem to pump more money into sports programs (maybe to keep people's minds off of economic problems).

I really think that Canada has to start throwing more money into our amateur sports...get the kids started early! I kow that if I ever decide to have a kid, he's gonna have a flatwater paddle in his hand the second he gets spit outta his momma!

Sprinter
Sprinter

August 9th, 2001, 2:24 pm #48

Thanks for the forum.
Just Canadians on our National Sprint Team...no bulgarians. Still a shame we cannot fund more athletes but the following athletes are THE ones who have earned the right to represent Canada at two world championships at least.. No other team selection has been completely finalized...bulgarians -- no -- only Canadians. Good luck...

Men's Canoe Team
Richard Dalton Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Stephen Giles Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kyle Jeffery Mississauga, Ontario
Mike Scarola Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Women's Kayak Team
Karen Furneaux Waverley, Nova Scotia
Marie Josee Gibeau-Ouimet Lachine, Quebec

Men's Kayak Team

Ryan Cuthbert Carleton Place, Ontario
Adam van Koeverden Oakville, Ontario

SPRINTER
SPRINTER

August 9th, 2001, 2:30 pm #49

Thanks for the forum.
The Nationals begin August 29 in Lac Beauport Quebec--which nationals in montreal did these guys attend -- and how can they say they are representing Canada at the next Olympics -- the team has not been chosen and they are not even on the radar screen...what are you talkin about!

dumbass
dumbass

August 9th, 2001, 2:41 pm #50

Thanks for the forum.
sprinter

I think he's talking about the time trial qualifiers that were held at the Olympic basin (in June I think).

Are the Budays no longer on the team?