Sober second look

Rob Chang
Rob Chang

August 7th, 2001, 8:08 pm #21

Perhaps the Power Ranking should be updated to reflect Madawaska's dominance of the NorAm Championships in Philly...a review of their times might suggest they are the fastest mixed crew in the world.

While the TCBA and GWN races seemed to be covered quite well the Ottawa race seems to be ignored. Ottawa is one of, if not, the best organized and competitive races in North America and don't take my word for it...talk to some of the knowledgable Toronto crews that have given up the Island to attend Ottawa for the last few years.

Thanks for the forum.
Last year the U.S. held nationals to determine the representitives. If memory serves me correctly it was also held at Philadelphia.

DCH and Philly were the big winners.

Cajunblue
Cajunblue

August 7th, 2001, 8:32 pm #22

Perhaps the Power Ranking should be updated to reflect Madawaska's dominance of the NorAm Championships in Philly...a review of their times might suggest they are the fastest mixed crew in the world.

While the TCBA and GWN races seemed to be covered quite well the Ottawa race seems to be ignored. Ottawa is one of, if not, the best organized and competitive races in North America and don't take my word for it...talk to some of the knowledgable Toronto crews that have given up the Island to attend Ottawa for the last few years.

Thanks for the forum.
I can't believe that I'm hearing rumblings of disappoitment over some of Canada's races.

THE WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!

They beat the Germans that all the naysayers said couldn't be beat and even better they creamed the Yanks on their home turf!

YaHOOO!
(this of course is not an endorsment of any search engines or service providers Yada, Yada, Yada)

Paddlehead
Paddlehead

August 7th, 2001, 8:41 pm #23

Thanks for the forum.
I think that the US teams were actually selected a little differently than the Canadian teams, Rob.

For instance, the Premier Mixed and Men's entries went basically uncontested to the GTDBC. Vancouver could have sent over teams to compete at Toronto Island for the Men's entry, but did not. The Mixed team went to Vancouver, but was not challenged there. So maybe in theory the selection processes were similar, but in reality it was different. Only the Women's and Master's entries were contested. As some have pointed out, perhaps the last minute nature of the team selection prevented some teams from the Ottawa area from being able to participate. The US selection process brought more teams to a single regatta to race for the right to represent their nation. It would be great to see that happen here. (fun to watch, eh?)

But despite not having our act in gear organization-wise, we were saved by the great quality of our athletes.

Cheers to them!

August 7th, 2001, 8:42 pm #24

Thanks for the forum.
Everyone on this board is very proud of the accomplishment of the Canadian Teams, men and woman. I think everyone just wants to ensure we dominate continually. The current format probably does not ensure that. Let's face it if we did not walk away with a top three finish everyone would be calling for the heads of TCBA and the way they picked the team. like i said WAY TO GO CANADA, I just want to be able to say it year after year.

Raphael
Raphael

August 7th, 2001, 8:52 pm #25

Thanks for the forum.
Can someone enlighten me on who was chosen to represent us for the Juniors, and how? And of course, there's same question with regards to the Senior women, and the senior open and mixed teams. who were the A's, and who were the B's?

Thanks.

Cajunblue
Cajunblue

August 7th, 2001, 10:25 pm #26

Thanks for the forum.
I'd like to know how those teams are chosen as well. I think I'm well past the junior stage but there's no limit on senior is there?

JP
JP

August 7th, 2001, 11:46 pm #27

Thanks for the forum.
OPEN MEN'S TEAM

DBRCC (Toronto franchise controlled by TCBA) through GTDBC (who won the men's race on the island last year) appoint someone, usually the coach (Doug Tutty this year) to select the team. There may be some form of try-out to make things appear open but the basic goal is to retain some of the experienced team members (Larry Cain, Derek Schroder, Kevin Stott, Blake Herra etc...) and wait until the CCA National Team is selected (in Montreal this year) and then pick from the remaining elite sprinters not going to Europe to compete. These athletes say yes or ask for cash/expenses to race at the Worlds. This system works and is transferable.

Result - 3 Gold Medals
Suggestion - don't change a thing

SENIOR MENS OPEN

This year's team was primarily a product of the Burloak Canoe Club with a few late additions from east and west... most noteably Albert McDonald, Hugh Fisher and Don Irvine (both Olympic medalists). They were the only entry at the Nationals last year so automatically qualified for Philly. Again all sprint racers except for one dragon boat purist who recently took up C-1.

Result - 2 Gold, 1 Silver
Suggestion - don't change a thing but encourage other crews to compete at nationals.

August 8th, 2001, 12:33 am #28

Thanks for the forum.
You dragonboaters kill me. You do well at one tournament and suddenly your system works great. How have you done in the past, always dominated, NO. What happens when a core group of these SELECTED paddlers retires. You did amazing but you cannot say you sent your best team. Look at rowing and how well they do, and how organized they are. You have two organizations fighting for money and not growing the sport. Get a grip on your sport and you can dominate like no other sport. You can be like Michael Johnson of the US, unbeatable. Until then you had a great tournament, congrats, but you can hardly rest on your laurels. Grow up and act like a real sport, hold some championships. Christ you sent a junior team, anyone from Mowat on it, not that I no of, but for as well as they are doing there could probably have been one or two of them. What are you going to do if there best paddlers go away to university and there isn't a team. They stop paddling, and stop paddling,and that is the core of your sport to build on. These guys should be approached to train next year during summer, to train, build. It was a great team, but you no what is scary, no one here can say it was our best. Remember how we were all amazed about the 4 second lead Imperial Life did on the Island, imagine if we did that in Philly, it would strike fear into the world community any time Canada Raced.

JP
JP

August 8th, 2001, 12:59 am #29

Thanks for the forum.
Canada has more paddle-sport depth than any country in the World. Our past failures are due to the inability/unwillingness of our sanctioning body to develop an appropriate and timely process to properly select our national team. The result was one thrown together Junior mixed team and some questionable senior mixed talent. Philly was a great overall result for us all... but it could have been incredibly better. A junior men's crew from Canada would have won us additional gold, no question.

Jason
Jason

August 8th, 2001, 1:12 pm #30

Thanks for the forum.
You sound as if you're talking about 'dragonboaters' as if you weren't one of us.

If you are from outside the sport, well, thanks for the haughtily expressed observation.

If you aren't, don't try to disassociate yourselves from "the rest of the dragon boaters" because you ahve incredible insight that none of us have.

A few people from the board said they believed the system worked great. But not all "dragonboaters" said so.

Before you get militant, I think you should know that many people within the sport probably feel the same way you do. So stop urinating on everyone.