August 3rd, 2001, 6:12 pm #21

Yep, it's true....there's gonna be a webcast of the races in Philly this year...It will be interesting to see if the site holds up to the amount of traffic that will probably tune in.

The races will be up on the website 30 minutes after the actual race.

oh yeah, here's the address....www.phila.gov or www.phila.gov/dragonboat/index.html
Did you see the size of German drummer? Compare with the size of Canadian drummer :)
And Jeff, my RealPlayer is also blocked. Damn LAN Admins...

Long Mike
Long Mike

August 3rd, 2001, 7:38 pm #22

Yep, it's true....there's gonna be a webcast of the races in Philly this year...It will be interesting to see if the site holds up to the amount of traffic that will probably tune in.

oh yeah, here's the address....www.phila.gov or www.phila.gov/dragonboat/index.html
Don't bemoan missing the video too much. It's blurry, the size of a postage stamp, and mostly just a bunch of 3 seconds shots of people walking around, stretching, occasionally paddling, etc... Looks like a human interest piece on a local newshour. There are no lengthy race shots or finishes.

August 3rd, 2001, 8:16 pm #23

any further updates on results and how Canada did.

swm
swm

August 3rd, 2001, 8:29 pm #24

silver & bronze in senior open!!

GS
GS

August 3rd, 2001, 9:53 pm #25

Does anyone have a roster list for team Canada so that they can be acknowledged and congratulated (at least on this forum)?

Paddlehead
Paddlehead

August 7th, 2001, 2:19 pm #26

C'mon guys, let's here some noise! Canada wins the World Dragon Boat Championships and I haven't heard a peep about it yet on this forum. Let's whoop it up!

I agree with CS, we should have some way of congratulating those who represented us so well in Philly. Perhaps a party is in order? (TCBA/GTDBC, are you listening?)

Now, all we have to do to win this thing again in 2003 (Shanghai, China) is work on our Senior and Junior programs. The Seniors are good, but could be better. And why no Junior Open team? That would have only taken, what, like 6 more junior guys? And lastly, let's make sure that next time Toronto, or Eastern Canada, get's the Women's team entry. I'm kind of disapointed in the False Creek Women, to be perfectly honest.

But all that aside, what a great day for Canadian Dragon Boating!

swm
swm

August 7th, 2001, 3:40 pm #27

Congrats to our Canadian reps in Philly!!!

RTS
RTS

August 7th, 2001, 4:01 pm #28

Hey paddlehead... I wouldn't be too quick to judge the False Creek women's crew... they have consistently been world class for many moons... you should know how dragon boat racing works... every race is different and the results never predictable.

Paddlehead
Paddlehead

August 7th, 2001, 4:26 pm #29

RTS - you may be right. I guess that looking at our Mens & Mixed team results, I would have hoped that they could have done better than Silver, Bronze & 4th. You're right that every regatta is different. And since I wasn't there, it's not fair to judge them.

However....

If you knew how badly they had slanted the Toronto/Vancouver competition last year in order to get the women's team entry in the first place, you might not be so charitable. (there were some dirty dealings there) I think that the Toronto women were/are the better team, and should have represented us in Philly. That's all just wind in sails I realize, but it's still what I think.

And besides, yesterday's performance is just that. In the world of sports it's very much "what have you done for me lately". It's cruel, but true. I think that False Creek had better step up their efforts, or step aside.

Hopefully next year the various Canadian Dragon Boat authorities will have the team selection process better established, and ensure that absolutely the best team possible represents our country. Maybe it will be False Creek, maybe it won't.

RTS
RTS

August 7th, 2001, 5:00 pm #30

I realise that this particular forum string is to congratulate the Canadians on a fantastic festival... CONGRATS CANADA.. but, I was in Vancouver for that festival. Now I am not sure what you mean by 'slanted' in favour of the False Creeks races last year but I do know there was a huge disagreement regarding the final result...in fact Fred Heese carried the photo of the finals around with him to show everyone that the Toronto crew should have won...HM

There is certainly a history of disagreements etc between the organisers here in Toronto and Vancouver and politics has certainly tainted relations however ,as far 'racing' was concerned False Creek did win... whether it was truly a win or not racing is racing and no matter at what level or sport the outcome is not something anyone person can control. If the Toronto crew is that much superior than False Creek's then there would not have been even a close call in the finals.

Having read a few comments about 'Ontario' verses western techique, talent etc. I get more annoyed about what I read. Someone actually stated that False Creeks' style is 'old'! OLD!? anyway obviously it didn't come from someone that knows what he/she is talking about.

My point is, False Creek has consistent history of great paddlers. Don't get me wrong... I am a Torontonian to the end... I would love to see the Toronto crew take over the helm from their team but, until they perform at a superior level, on and off the water we have some work to do here. Our reputation out west certainly precedes us... and as far as I am concerend has no place in sports.

GO CANADA GO!