Our Rankings ...

Our Rankings ...

August 1st, 2001, 8:08 pm #1

Based on numerous request the following is the rationale as to why we did not include the Welland Regatta in the rankings:

1. The Toronto Woman's Dreagon Boat team compete in the women's division, whereas only 4 other ranked teams were in the mixed division (no head-to-head).

2. The limited field (only 11 or so teams in Mixed) meant that last place scores 11 pts. This seems ridiculous....there is no negative for teams that ranked higher than #11 in this type of field.

- It can be argued that we can make an exception based on strength of field since Women in Canoe, DCH and Philly were also there. If they were all in the same division (mixed) that would be true and likely we would have included the festival. However, the limited number of teams would still be a problem.

What we are trying to avoid (in an extreme case) is for a 5 boat festival consisting of our #31-35 seeds scoring major points since the lowest result would be 5th.

- Furthermore, like Montreal, we factor EVERY festival into our power rankings. They normally do not hold much weight though - except for Montreal due to strength of field.

- In terms of the Shogun Warriors, we believe it is an oversight on our part and we apologize. You folks will likely be in the power rankings in our next update, however the age old question arises......its easy to say who got snubbed, but who are you going to take off?

- The Dragon Boat Rankings Team

http://www.geocities.com/dragon_boat_rankings

Demon
Demon

August 2nd, 2001, 3:15 am #2

The only thing I am not sure of is what 20 does the 5 teams need to come from?

Is it one of your ranking lists or any top 20 finishes in previous races?

I think identifying this will help with some of the confusion. That's my confusion nobody elses, just me, I know you all know what's going on, in fact forget I said anything.

Cheers

August 2nd, 2001, 8:52 pm #3

Based on numerous request the following is the rationale as to why we did not include the Welland Regatta in the rankings:

1. The Toronto Woman's Dreagon Boat team compete in the women's division, whereas only 4 other ranked teams were in the mixed division (no head-to-head).

2. The limited field (only 11 or so teams in Mixed) meant that last place scores 11 pts. This seems ridiculous....there is no negative for teams that ranked higher than #11 in this type of field.

- It can be argued that we can make an exception based on strength of field since Women in Canoe, DCH and Philly were also there. If they were all in the same division (mixed) that would be true and likely we would have included the festival. However, the limited number of teams would still be a problem.

What we are trying to avoid (in an extreme case) is for a 5 boat festival consisting of our #31-35 seeds scoring major points since the lowest result would be 5th.

- Furthermore, like Montreal, we factor EVERY festival into our power rankings. They normally do not hold much weight though - except for Montreal due to strength of field.

- In terms of the Shogun Warriors, we believe it is an oversight on our part and we apologize. You folks will likely be in the power rankings in our next update, however the age old question arises......its easy to say who got snubbed, but who are you going to take off?

Suggest Rogers gets bumped in favour of Shogun. I know there racing series results look good, but they are borrowing from other teams. I have been informed that they really only have 14-16 paddlers, and that at future events they are attending will be drawing again from other teams. I know lots of teams do that on occassion, but the Toronto Island, where they were in D division, is there original team.

Paddle Geek
Paddle Geek

August 2nd, 2001, 10:07 pm #4

I'm not trying to sound like a prick about this, but let the site moderator determine who gets bumped. This could get very, very ugly if we start throwing our two cents in about how we feel teams should be ranked. If we don't like our team rankings, four words,

Paddle better next time!

Most of the people posting here have demonstrated the camaraderie of the Ontario dragonboat community; let's not spoil this by sniping at each other's rankings.

As for the rumours that Rogers AT&T are using paddlers from other teams, does it really matter? For the most part dragon boat is a friendly competition. Let's not get petty about whether a team is short.

Demon
Demon

August 2nd, 2001, 10:46 pm #5

I have helped out and paddled for two additional teams so far this year and we have had people help us out as well.

It's part of what is and will make the DB community strong, fun and competitive.

Besides, I can't get enough of racing.

Cheers