Based on numerous request the following is the rationale as to why we did not include the Welland Regatta in the rankings:
1. The Toronto Woman's Dreagon Boat team compete in the women's division, whereas only 4 other ranked teams were in the mixed division (no head-to-head).
2. The limited field (only 11 or so teams in Mixed) meant that last place scores 11 pts. This seems ridiculous....there is no negative for teams that ranked higher than #11 in this type of field.
- It can be argued that we can make an exception based on strength of field since Women in Canoe, DCH and Philly were also there. If they were all in the same division (mixed) that would be true and likely we would have included the festival. However, the limited number of teams would still be a problem.
What we are trying to avoid (in an extreme case) is for a 5 boat festival consisting of our #31-35 seeds scoring major points since the lowest result would be 5th.
- Furthermore, like Montreal, we factor EVERY festival into our power rankings. They normally do not hold much weight though - except for Montreal due to strength of field.
- In terms of the Shogun Warriors, we believe it is an oversight on our part and we apologize. You folks will likely be in the power rankings in our next update, however the age old question arises......its easy to say who got snubbed, but who are you going to take off?
- The Dragon Boat Rankings Team
The only thing I am not sure of is what 20 does the 5 teams need to come from?
Is it one of your ranking lists or any top 20 finishes in previous races?
I think identifying this will help with some of the confusion. That's my confusion nobody elses, just me, I know you all know what's going on, in fact forget I said anything.