No Tahiti at 2013 Worlds

No Tahiti at 2013 Worlds

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 18th, 2013, 2:12 am #1

...according to the latest IDBF bulletin.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 18th, 2013, 1:22 pm #2

Where is this bulletin?

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 19th, 2013, 11:39 am #3

Don't look for the last bulletin (bulletin #2).

Go to www.idbfregistration.org, there is an icon on the website for urrent entries. This gives you an idea of who is actually registered:

So far, for Premier Standard Boat:

Open
-----
Canada
China
Taiwan
Czech Republic
Germany
Hungary
Macau
Ukraine
United States

Women:
------
Australia
Canada
China
Czech Republic
Germany
Hungary
Macau
USA

Mixed:
------
Australia
Canada
China
Czech Republic
Germany
Great Britain
Hong Kong
Hungary
Japan
Macau
Poland
Puerto Rico
Trinidad and Tobago
United States

Teams racing small boat:
Australia Open
Taiwan Open and Women
Hong Kong Open and Women
Iran Open
Russia Open and Mixed
Sweden Open and Mixed
Thailand Women

Thus far, this isn't shaping up to be a more widely participated Worlds than Tampa. Are there political factors involved?

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 19th, 2013, 1:32 pm #4

Definitely more teams that Tampa overall, no? As for Premier, the Small Boat category is taking away some participation in the Large Boat category. But almost all of the Large Boat Premier entries are the top countries in the world, so the Small Boat category (for the most part) weeds out the weaker teams from the Premier category anyway.

I still don't like the Small Boat category.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 19th, 2013, 1:38 pm #5

Not sure if this is up-to-date, but Austrailia is not putting an Open team together? Or the Philipines... thats not good. Could be a funding issue,

this Tahiti factor would've been exciting to see. Lots of hype but noone can really draw any solid conclusions, because theres no head to head comparisons!

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 19th, 2013, 1:59 pm #6

You can derive head to head from Asian and Euro Championships results.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 19th, 2013, 3:16 pm #7

For an established country like Australia to enter Premier Small boat they would have needed to demonstrate financial exigency just as the Filos needed to do in Tampa when they lost their funding source. Anyone who has looked into it knows that the costs of going to Hungary is very high. I would assume travel from Australia would be hugely expensive same for Tahiti.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 19th, 2013, 9:42 pm #8

There's something really weird going on with the Australian entries. They entered Large Boats in almost every division EXCEPT Premier Open. Large boats in Premier Women, Premier Mixed, ALL Senior A's, ALL Senior C's and most of Senior B. Small boat in Premier Open.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 19th, 2013, 9:49 pm #9

They decided only 12 premier male paddlers are good enough to represent their country, sounds logical

anonymous
anonymous

June 20th, 2013, 1:04 am #10

I am an Australian dragon boater but I am not paddling at the world champs. I haven't spoken to every male paddler under 40 in Australia so this is only an educated opinion of why there is only a small boat crew in prem opens.

The main reason is just not enough guys wanting to take a few weeks of work for competing and training camps as well as spending the money on the campaign. It just happened to be in premier open rather than any other category.

Another reason is this and it also explains their poor performance in Tampa. The best male paddlers in Australia didn't do world champs in Tampa and only some did Prague. Generally speaking the best won't paddle for the current Australian coach who has been the coach since post Prague. I don't want to put forward negative opinions of the coach because not everyone feels that way about him. Many think he's wonderful. I don't.

The best male paddlers are mostly within a few clubs and they are not putting themselves forward for selection, again probably because of the coach. The guys who are doing it are mostly from other clubs and are mostly not up to the standard of the guys from the top clubs. Even though dragon boating has grown in Australia the number of males under 40 doing it is pretty small when you look at the total demographic. It's become somewhat of a 40s+ sport in Australia. That is another factor. The pool of guys under 40 is limited and even more limited is the pool of talented guys under 40.

The standard of the 10s crew would see them get smashed in 20s if they had another 10 guys of the same standard. Probably moreso than the Tampa crew even.