missing paddler

JP
JP

July 31st, 2001, 2:23 am #1

Unfortunately I have bad news. A paddler with the Royal Bank is missing and presumed drowned in Frenchman's Bay. The individual was out in a kayak and co-workers noticed he was missing towards the end of the mornings activites. He was not wearing a PFD.

July 31st, 2001, 12:49 pm #2

Yes the unfortunate has happened. Appears the team was out DragonBoating, and some were kayaking alongside. No lifejacket on, and you know what, watch lifejackets become mandatory now and strictly enforced. There is an obvious need for them for some individuals. Don't want to wear a large clunky one, get one of those pouch style inflatable ones. TCBA should work with GWN to allow that style to be acceptable and both should see if they order large bulks from manufacturer if they could unload them at cheap cost. One would hope both organizations view paddler safety and enjoyment above profits.

got the jimmy eyes
got the jimmy eyes

July 31st, 2001, 1:00 pm #3

Unfortunately I have bad news. A paddler with the Royal Bank is missing and presumed drowned in Frenchman's Bay. The individual was out in a kayak and co-workers noticed he was missing towards the end of the mornings activites. He was not wearing a PFD.
This is awful news - is it in the media anywhere? are you sure? Didn't see anything about it on the tv news this morning...

Dragonlady
Dragonlady

July 31st, 2001, 1:04 pm #4

City TV's Breakfast Television has been running the story this morning. What a horrible thing to have happen.

Jeff Holubeshen
Jeff Holubeshen

July 31st, 2001, 1:07 pm #5

No offence, but this isn't the time to bring up the lifejacket issue again.

A kayak is not a dragonboat...racing kayaks can be extrememly tippy, and it can be dangerous if you're not the best swimmer & you're not in a controlled environment (ie, somewhere that you can be watched fairly easily)

To the Royal crew, sorry to hear about the accident

July 31st, 2001, 1:15 pm #6

and your right not the time to debate. However they were at a DragonBoat practice, some extra individuals were just kayaking, watching the practice and getting some excercise, so unfortunatley the mere fact it was taken place at the time will come into play.

s mann
s mann

July 31st, 2001, 1:55 pm #7

Very sorry to hear about the member of your crew.

Thoughts are with you.

RTS
RTS

July 31st, 2001, 5:07 pm #8

With my deepest condolences to the family and friends of the lost paddler.
Is there anything good to come out of such a tragedy. Too many lives have been lost to such fluky accidents.

July 31st, 2001, 5:19 pm #9

Their Cox is also ours, I know their pretty shaken up and the search is continueing today. Terrible when this happens, thankfully it is not often.

August 1st, 2001, 3:41 pm #10

They have found the body of the paddler. At least there is some closure for family and friends.