Dragon Boat Dryland Fitness Training

Larry Cain
Larry Cain

October 2nd, 2003, 1:44 am #31

Hi Paddlers,

Thought I'd invite those living in the west end (Oakville, Mississauga, Burlington) to a meet and greet type open house at my gym in Oakville for the dragon boat fitness training program I am running this winter.

The gym has been very cooperative and their knowledgeable instructors are helping me run it and test/monitor all the athletes. I'll be getting some of the men and women on the National Team to help out as guest coaches as well.

We'll be running from October to April and hope to be able to announce shortly that we are also going to include weekly technique sessions - initially in the pool and on the water in the spring. I am just working on getting that solidified.

Please feel free to email me for more information or you can call the gym - Body Wise Health Club - at 905-849-1021 and ask for Michelle. We are having the open house this Thursday (Oct. 2) from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Happy training.

Larry
I think whatever drag is caused by the bottom hand being in the water a little is negligible compared to getting a good connection by going a little deeper. I also think it is good to choke up the paddle a little. As I said in, I think it was my last post, there is a practical limit to everything. The guys in our boat probably have their hands a little higher than those in many other crews might. I think the important thing is to find what is the best for each paddler based on their strength capabilities.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 2nd, 2003, 1:58 am #32

Hi Paddlers,

Thought I'd invite those living in the west end (Oakville, Mississauga, Burlington) to a meet and greet type open house at my gym in Oakville for the dragon boat fitness training program I am running this winter.

The gym has been very cooperative and their knowledgeable instructors are helping me run it and test/monitor all the athletes. I'll be getting some of the men and women on the National Team to help out as guest coaches as well.

We'll be running from October to April and hope to be able to announce shortly that we are also going to include weekly technique sessions - initially in the pool and on the water in the spring. I am just working on getting that solidified.

Please feel free to email me for more information or you can call the gym - Body Wise Health Club - at 905-849-1021 and ask for Michelle. We are having the open house this Thursday (Oct. 2) from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Happy training.

Larry
Moving the hand too far up adjusts the fulcrum point and changes the leverage force.

Having the hand in the water only increases the pull resistance, more surface area (like a tiny blade).

We've done the video analysis stated by Larry on Dragon Boat. Last 3 years we were doing this, no one has ever pulled themselves past their paddle entry, especially when we are doing row by row paddling.

We were able to accomplish that only by having the entire crew paddle.

I think it's an easy experiment to do, next time you are in still flat water and doing 1-3 seats paddling at a time, have someone throw over a life vest or a paddle as a reference point and see if any of your crew mates can pull themselves where they have just "planted". If anyone can come back and report they did we should get a picture of him, because he's overcome the laws of physics.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 2nd, 2003, 3:01 am #33

Hi Paddlers,

Happy training.

Larry
I am not sure it is relavent , but there is a video of the Clinton 70 mile pro canoe race . I noticed that the top finishers all had kept a low bottom hand until the end of the race , the guys further back had a higher bottom hand by the end ( 7 hr. or so ). The very best guy , Serge Corbin , is known for dipping his baby finger every stroke .
When marathoners want to sprint they drop the bottom hand , and they can sprint ! ( Supisingly , spint speed wins long races much more than cruising speed ) . A slightly higher bottom hand is useful to keep the rate down during slow cruises and wash riding , but drop the hand to hammer .

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 2nd, 2003, 3:06 am #34

Hi Paddlers,

Happy training.

Larry
I guess if the paddle exits ahead of the entery point it means:
- good catch with very little slip
-a fulcrum point below the water level
-requires a low resistance boat , such as an ICF boat and large Paddle , as well as unbelievable power and technique , way beyond most of our wildest asperation

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 2nd, 2003, 6:26 am #35

Hi Paddlers,

Happy training.

Larry
where can we get a copy of the video?

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 18th, 2008, 8:31 am #36

Hi Paddlers,

Happy training.

Larry
ya

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 18th, 2008, 12:30 pm #37

Hi Paddlers,

Happy training.

Larry
Hey administrators, ban this guy who bringing up these old posts! This like that "bump" guy from last year.

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 19th, 2008, 1:55 am #38

Hi Paddlers,

Happy training.

Larry
This old post is Awesome! Keep them coming!

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 19th, 2008, 12:34 pm #39

Hi Paddlers,

Happy training.

Larry
This is actually a useful bump. Wish I read this during the summer.