BOM A Team

August 8th, 2001, 2:28 pm #1

Hey when was the last time you guys raced on native soil. I know you did amazing in Hong Kong but when will you race here again. For what it's worth I think when we line up the Canada Life, Spitfires and BMO A the winner in my mind is number one overall. That is no offence to the other great top 10 teams on this board(omitting the House and Madawaska) but just my personal opinion and belief.

James P. Haslam
James P. Haslam

August 8th, 2001, 2:48 pm #2

We last competed in Canada at Pickering, where we placed a rather humbling 4th overall. The competition was pretty good, Scotia, CIBC and Mowat "A". We had kind of a shit lane, but that's not meant as an excuse. We had a good race, but not a great one. The shore lane always seems slow at Pickering. Scotia won it in the outside lane, and seemed as surprised as anyone, but they raced well and they deserved it.

The only other Ontario race we have done this year was Wildwood, where we came 3rd overall (3rd in 250m, 4th in 1000m). Not bad, considering that we were training for neither of those distances. We were still putting our 500m race plan together. We tend to be very goal oriented, and were looking at the early summer races strictly as a warm-up to Hong Kong.

Now, I don't claim to speak for my whole team here. But I think that there are plenty of other teams in the top 10 that can beat us on any given day. However, I think our BMO team could also turn around and beat any other team in the top 10, when we're hitting like we can. There are just so many variables that I don't think that you can decide the results of any race before it's actually run. While I agree that Canada Life and Scotia probably well deserve the #1 and #2 spots respectively, I'm also impressed this year with CIBC and TTA Hammerheads. Watch out for those two at GWN.

I'm looking forward to the GWN race. Maybe BMO will re-establish itself as a contender, but maybe not.

Let the paddles do the talkin', eh?

Smüthe
Smüthe

August 8th, 2001, 3:13 pm #3

Hey when was the last time you guys raced on native soil. I know you did amazing in Hong Kong but when will you race here again. For what it's worth I think when we line up the Canada Life, Spitfires and BMO A the winner in my mind is number one overall. That is no offence to the other great top 10 teams on this board(omitting the House and Madawaska) but just my personal opinion and belief.
Very well written James P.

It seems in this sport you're only as good as your last race. With so many variables like boats, lanes, conditions, anything can happen on any day.

Last year the team to beat was BMO and Canada Life. This year Scotia and Hammerheads are making waves. Next year, maybe Mayfair. With corporate teams and athletes with ever changing real world lives and responsibilities, every year brings new contenders.

To say Imperial Dragons are the team to beat may be true this year, but next year it may be some one else, maybe not. Makes for a pretty exciting sport, doesn't it.

A SpitFire
A SpitFire

August 8th, 2001, 8:25 pm #4

Just those 3 teams is rather limiting. I agree with James that there are at least 10 teams that could beat the any top ten team if they put together their best race. Every time I get to a final race I think that anyteam in that race could win that race. That is what I love about dragon boating. Every regatta comes down to a little over 2 minutes. That is exciting, and it brings out the best in you every time.

I just hope that GWN has as little problems as possible so it will be a true test of who is the best. Damn last year sucked. No small craft advisory

August 8th, 2001, 8:48 pm #5

I through an e-mail up in regards to 3 teams I admire greatly. I figure there is some hatred there, kinda like the Leafs and hapless Habs, instead I get e-mails espousing all sorts of feel good admiration and respect. Wheres the hatred in this sport, next thing I'll here is Canada Life respects you guys and wants to buy you beers after next race. I don't no whether to cry or puke. In all honesty you guys are a joy to watch, best of luck in future races. I agree there are some great top ten teams there, Mercedes, Mayfair as well, but I stand by my evaluation of the top three in my stubborn mind.

Smüthe
Smüthe

August 8th, 2001, 9:02 pm #6

Hey, if Canada Life is buying beer then I'm in.

JP
JP

August 8th, 2001, 9:38 pm #7

Who were the teams in the final last year. Are they all coming back to settle things?

Rob Chang
Rob Chang

August 8th, 2001, 9:53 pm #8

Easy on the Canada Life buying beer comments...

Rumours such as those can somehow turn into expensive facts =)

Smuthe, last year's final had the following teams slated: Canada Life, BMO, Shaolin Monks, House of Lancaster, Canada-USA Free Trade 1 and Hunter Steel Dragons of Steel. There were reports that Madawaska's DQ would be ignored and that they would be put into a special lane 7 for the final.

From what I have been hearing, I think everyone will be back this year (dunno about Free Trade though).

It's gonna be a blast.

Rob Chang
Rob Chang

August 8th, 2001, 9:54 pm #9

I meant JP....

Stealth
Stealth

August 14th, 2001, 5:43 pm #10

I can't agree more. There is nothing better than watching the best crews go head to head.

Not sure if others agree, but I think last year's GWN Summer Sizzler was a great idea, and was sorry to see that it did not return in a similar format this year. The organizing was a bit rough around the edges, but the event had real potential.

Last year's event invited the top 8 GTA based crews to a match race double elimination competion. I believe invitations were based in some fashion on the results at the previous 911 and Island races.

The racing was exciting and very close, and provided some nice summer bragging rights to the winner (Cyberplex Monks).