What is Philosophical mathematics?

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

Aug 21 2018, 07:05 PM #1

Philosophical mathematics is not numerology. 
Any person or group can assign any meaning to any number. For example a gang of thugs can say 2=beat up an enemy, 3=break a window, 4= rape someone, 5=spray paint a church, etc. Now this can have meaning within the group as a sort of code but it would have nothing to do with either mathematics or spirituality. 
Larger groups such as religions can assign meaning to numbers relative to a cultural experience. This may be spirituality, but it isn't mathematics. 
Secret societies that influence the world have "secret truths" that may include assigning meaning to numbers. But the advantage of having a secret society is that outsiders can neither evaluate or criticize the group truths. 

Philosophical mathematics has only one thing in common with numerology in that it shares the belief that either numbers have inherent meanings or that assigning meanings to numbers can cause numbers to have inherent meanings. But as I will explain Philosophical mathematics is mathematics. 
Vortex math is also mathematics, but when attempting to transform words in to numbers by adding and combining digits it fails. Change the base system and the results also change. An example of vortex math: (in decimal 938765=38=11=2, in dozens =32=5)

An example: Suppose that 2 is assigned meaning A, and 3 is assigned meaning B. 
If 6 isn't related to both A & B then the mathematics fails just as sure as if 2 x 3 were supposed to equal 7. 
If the meanings for either or both 2 & 3 fail to meet observations the theory also fails. 
If just one assigned meaning conforms to experimental and observed experience you then have something to base the arithmetic and math upon. I believe that we have this with the number one. Have you ever seen 2/3 of a person walk into a room?

Pythagoras tried to explain the whole of observed experience with the integers one through ten with ten being the perfect number. This was doomed to failure. Early in my research into philosophical mathematics I made a similar mistake with the numbers one through twelve. Trying to stuff infinity into a finite system is doomed to failure. 

Its also mathematics when assigning a meaning to a number. 
One has to study mathematical properties of the number carefully before attempting to assign a meaning to said number.
And one has to apply both mathematics and philosophy to define other numbers and the result has to conform to both the "defined" numbers and to mathematical logic. 

I have assigned meaning to the primes up to 30z, but most of these haven't been confirmed by experiment/observation. 
The periodic table of elements appears to have assigned meanings up to 100d. Change the atomic number and you change the element. Just move a few electrons and protons and you can change lead into gold. 

Another thing is to compare number of two different events. My birth was an event. Your birth was also an event. Both happened at specific times and places. In comparing two different people no two persons were born at both the same day, hour, minute, and second. And even if they were the places and dates of conception would be different. The intelligence required to catalog every event on Earth and to them compare them is almost beyond my imagination. I compare a few of the important dates and times in my life and sometimes compare to another's birth. Even that is a lot of data. 
The 2-day cycle of my birth is in part shared with every other person's birth except those born exactly 24 hours before or after me. The same applies to comparison of any 2 events. 

icarus
Dozens Demigod
icarus
Dozens Demigod

Aug 22 2018, 02:55 PM #2

What's the difference between this and cryptography? I mean, if we assign 1 = A, 2 = B, etc., we can encode a message. Regarding the periodic table, we are manipulating the electromagnetic qualities of the nucleus so we get different elemental properties. Nothing metaphysical there. The metaphysical significance of the numbers is associated with our subjective thought or meaning assigned to the numbers, be they primes or other. Therefore the "metaphysical" can perhaps be anything we wish. One of the things that gets me, regarding metaphysics, is this. What if we lived in an ammonia world with ten tentacles, daily life swimming in a murky 100 atmosphere gas giant. So metaphysics associated with "walking" or "talking" or any human action, any sort of consideration of "our" normalcy is completely relative. Wouldn't metaphysics be universal? Suppose it isn't. Is it yet true? True for "just here"? "Just here" is in motion! How does it know where "just here" is? Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex. So I personally have a hard time with anything but simple assigned definitions to number. If that, then we get combinatorics, etc. Just my thoughts.

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

Aug 22 2018, 07:45 PM #3

icarus wrote: What's the difference between this and cryptography? I mean, if we assign 1 = A, 2 = B, etc., we can encode a message. Regarding the periodic table, we are manipulating the electromagnetic qualities of the nucleus so we get different elemental properties. Nothing metaphysical there. The metaphysical significance of the numbers is associated with our subjective thought or meaning assigned to the numbers, be they primes or other. Therefore the "metaphysical" can perhaps be anything we wish. One of the things that gets me, regarding metaphysics, is this. What if we lived in
an ammonia world with ten tentacles, daily life swimming in a murky 100 atmosphere gas giant. So metaphysics associated with "walking" or "talking" or any human action, any sort of consideration of "our" normalcy is completely relative. Wouldn't metaphysics be universal? Suppose it isn't. Is it yet true? True for "just here"? "Just here" is in motion! How does it know where "just here" is? Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex. So I personally have a hard time with anything but simple assigned definitions to number. If that, then we get combinatorics, etc. Just my thoughts.
Assigning meaning to a number is spirituality and is also numerology. I'm trying to explain that philosophical math is something different. I've developed it to the degree that it has applied uses. Philosophical math is a math based philosophy and has the potential to become a science. 

And I like your ability to imagine life in conditions where humans couldn't possibly survive. 

I believe that metaphysics is a natural set of laws from God and/or the universe. They apply in different ways to different situations. I think that these laws are all math based. There are known physics equations and the periodic table is an example of numbers dictating the reality of the natural world. 

If I were an expert or master on this topic I'd be God. I've just glanced into the table of contents of a book describing what's next in human evolution. Its like a 1st grade student looking at the inside cover of a calculus textbook. Mastery would be to fully understand the book in this analogy. 

icarus
Dozens Demigod
icarus
Dozens Demigod

Aug 24 2018, 12:49 AM #4

Even spiritually, we believe man cannot be perfected. We can't be gods, we are limited. Not to say we can't try, but I would imagine perfecting man would have a severe sort of curve of diminishing returns such that it is asymptotic.

SenaryThe12th
Casual Member
SenaryThe12th
Casual Member

Sep 13 2018, 01:38 PM #5

My son (I'm assuming I'm older than you are, as I'm getting up there)  I can reveal to you the true and hidden meaning of the numbers.  I must warn you, however, that this truth is so astounding that you might not want to not see it.  Because once seen, it cannot be unseen.  Therefore, before I reveal it, I'll leave some space in order to give you a chance to hit the back-button on your browser, should you not feel ready for the revelaton.....

Are you sure you want to know this?

Are you really ready?

Last chance to turn back......

Ok, I warned you.  The truth is that through the ages, there's been two types of mathematicians: those who were rich enough to be able to do math without begging for money, and those who weren't.  

Those who were not independently wealthy needed to sucker kings, common people, etc into funding their hobby.  A good example of this pair was Tycho Brahe and Johannes Kepler.  Brahe was a rich noble, who could afford to build himself observatories and spend time working in them.  Kepler was a peasant, and had to pay the bills somehow.  So he was an astrologer and made his living casting horoscopes.  

Good, honest, toil, like digging ditches or janitorial work, is tiring, and at the end of the day you don't have much energy left to devote to math.  What's more, it doesn't confer much social status.  How much better to be a priest, an astrologer, a philosopher.....and there is an endless supply of credulous marks who are willing to give you their money in exchange for some mystical knowledge.

You'd think that being able to predict the seasons, or being able to fly to the moon, would be enough to justify this activity.  Alas.  For some reason, people are much more willing to give you money if you claim to have some hidden, esoteric, supernatural pipeline to superior knowledge.

I confess, I'm actually one of these types myself.  Albeit a very modern version.  I'm a financial programmer, working for a company which, for a healthy fee, claims to be able to give you special knowledge about where the stock market is going.  The Dow Jones Industrial average is now $26114.12.  But WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THAT NUMBER?

The truth is that stock prices are pretty much completely random.  Nobody can predict where they are going.  But there is an endless stream of very rich people who want to believe that they can.  And it is easier to rationalize buying millions of dollars worth of stock if you have a stack of calculations you can point to to say it was a good idea.  In reality, we just think its fun to program computers.  I actually used to be a janitor, and programmed after work.  That was fine in my early 20's, but as I said, I'm getting up there, and being a financial programmer has more social status than being a janitor.  

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

Sep 13 2018, 05:26 PM #6

That hidden and special knowledge that wealthy people want to pay for does exist. While humans have a degree of intelligence that appears to be based on mathematical laws, there most probably exists higher knowledge. 
    I claim to have a piece of this knowledge that transcends human intelligence and understanding. I want to share and develop this to benefit humanity and be remembered several hundred years into the future. My intelligence isn't enough to fully use what I have stumbled upon but I try. 
     We are living in a time when basic human needs such as food and shelter are almost considered a human right in some nations such as the USA. Even unemployed I can manage to obtain my basic needs so money doesn't motivate me in this case. 

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

Sep 13 2018, 06:55 PM #7

richard.chasen wrote:      That hidden and special knowledge that wealthy people want to pay for does exist. While humans have a degree of intelligence that appears to be based on mathematical laws, there most probably exists higher knowledge. 
    I claim to have a piece of this knowledge that transcends human intelligence and understanding.
Pure assertions for which you have presented not one shred of evidence.
Even unemployed I can manage to obtain my basic needs so money doesn't motivate me in this case. 
Self-validation to the point of self-aggrandizement, on tge other hand, does not seem to be beneath you.
As of 1202/03/01[z]=2018/03/01[d] I use:
ten,eleven = ↊↋, ᘔƐ, ӾƐ, XE or AB.
Base-neutral base annotations
Systematic Dozenal Nomenclature
Primel Metrology
Western encoding (not by choice)
Greasemonkey + Mathjax + PrimelDozenator
(Links to these and other useful topics are in my index post;
click on my user name and go to my "Website" link)

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

Sep 13 2018, 07:11 PM #8

Kodegadulo wrote:
richard.chasen wrote:    
I
Last edited by richard.chasen on Sep 13 2018, 07:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

Sep 13 2018, 07:16 PM #9

Kodegadulo wrote:
richard.chasen wrote:      That hidden and special knowledge that wealthy people want to pay for does exist. While humans have a degree of intelligence that appears to be based on mathematical laws, there most probably exists higher knowledge. 
    I claim to have a piece of this knowledge that transcends human intelligence and understanding.
Pure assertions for which you have presented not one shred of evidence.
I have presented evidence and it simply gets disregarded. There exist number based laws in this galaxy that appear to humans to be "metaphysical". Just like it appears to my cat that my walking into a room and lights come on is an action of a god. The cat has no concept of the light switch. 

If there existed a culture using what I have begun to understand most people would be like the cats in my analogy. I just appear to have incredibly good luck with timing. 

Shaun
Dozens Disciple
Shaun
Dozens Disciple

Sep 13 2018, 07:33 PM #10

If the cat has indeed any concept of such cause and effect.
I doubt very much whether it considers its human companions as gods. We may treat them as gods, as in Ancient Egypt, or pretend they run the internet, but that's our way.

I have yet to be persuaded of any metaphysical attributes of numbers and number based laws; but each to his own; if I'd been an Ancient Egyptian it's more likely I'd be cleaning the litter trays for Pharoah's cats rather than runimating at leisure upon numbers and their properties ...

SenaryThe12th
Casual Member
SenaryThe12th
Casual Member

Sep 13 2018, 08:48 PM #11

Lets put this sentence:

and this sentence:
 I want to share and develop this to benefit humanity
together.  You realize they are mutually contradictory, right?  If something transcends our intelligence and understanding, you can't share it with us.  
 My intelligence isn't enough to fully use what I have stumbled upon 
Well, I wouldn't feel so bad about that; after all, none of us can fully use something which transcends our understanding.  

I guess my objection to your project is that it seems like its profaning something which is really sacred.  I mean, mathematics really does work.  Understanding the meanings of numbers really does let us solve problems we couldn't otherwise.  Its so powerful it can seem like magic.  But its not magic.  Quite the opposite.  Humans have made their biggest progress when they eschew the occult and mystical bullshit, and rather roll up their sleeves and calculate.

Numbers are already wonderful, exactly as they are.  Why lard them down like this?  Its like guilding the lily with fool's gold.

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

Sep 13 2018, 09:59 PM #12

SenaryThe12th wrote:
I guess my objection to your project is that it seems like its profaning something which is really sacred.  I mean, mathematics really does work.  Understanding the meanings of numbers really does let us solve problems we couldn't otherwise.  Its so powerful it can seem like magic.  But its not magic.  Quite the opposite.  Humans have made their biggest progress when they eschew the occult and mystical bullshit, and rather roll up their sleeves and calculate.

What you fail to understand is that quantity and measurement applications in applied math which works so well in engineering is not the only use of numbers possible. Theoretical mathematics involving prime numbers, base systems, Fibonacci, pascal triangle, sacred geometry, and recreational math has much less practical value in human culture and is a completely different form of mathematics than arithmetic, algebra, trigonometry, calculus, analysis, etc. And Philosophical mathematics involving numbers having meaning with applications in astrology and biorhythms  is very little evolved as there are few philosophical mathematicians in history. The only thing these three branches have in common is the concept of counting that may go back as far as early forms of Homo erectus. 
    There probably exist over 1000 forms of mathematics in addition to the three I have mentioned above that are far beyond my intelligence or even human intelligence to even imagine. There are axioms and rules to philosophical math. There are methods of determining number meanings. There are applications related to timing with philosophical math hence the use in astrology and biorhythms. Unlike numerology where meanings are postulated and agreed upon and then accepted. 
   And there are a lot of unsolved problems in philosophical mathematics. I have observed some things, but some things I cannot find any patterns that I can understand. For example in astrology there is something called progressions where astrological data applied to a number of days in age is applied to years old. Thus the astrological data when a person was exactly 30 days old is applied to his 30th birthday. I have noted that if I know my birth time to the nearest second that events happen in my life when the angle of a moving progression is exactly one over a whole number. I can predict the hour of the event, but I can't find the pattern or predict what kind of event yet. 

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

Sep 14 2018, 01:19 PM #13

richard.chasen wrote:What you fail to understand is that quantity and measurement applications in applied math which works so well in engineering is not the only use of numbers possible.
Every tool humans have devised has found multiple uses ... including misuse and abuse.
As of 1202/03/01[z]=2018/03/01[d] I use:
ten,eleven = ↊↋, ᘔƐ, ӾƐ, XE or AB.
Base-neutral base annotations
Systematic Dozenal Nomenclature
Primel Metrology
Western encoding (not by choice)
Greasemonkey + Mathjax + PrimelDozenator
(Links to these and other useful topics are in my index post;
click on my user name and go to my "Website" link)

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

Sep 14 2018, 05:08 PM #14

Kodegadulo wrote:
richard.chasen wrote:What you fail to understand is that quantity and measurement applications in applied math which works so well in engineering is not the only use of numbers possible.
Every tool humans have devised has found multiple uses ... including misuse and abuse.
    Interesting that you mention this part of my reply. 
When I take something someone else threw away I seldom manage to use it for its manufactured use. But I do usually use it or some of its parts for something within 6 months. For example my neighbor discarded a wooden table about a year ago because one of the legs was broken off. For a table it was useless.  It became a 3 leg folding saw horse, an altar top, a necessary extra leg to support something, and I still have a piece of the top the right size for a shelf. 

icarus
Dozens Demigod
icarus
Dozens Demigod

Sep 24 2018, 07:23 PM #15

Senary: one _could_ share something that transcends our ability to understand. It's just that it would be _futile_. They'd only be wasting their own time, like reading Shakespeare's sonnets to bumblebees. Sonnets that a monkey typed (and ha! Actually did type, if we consider that we are primates). But I digress. I have just out-profounded my own skull and have a migraine now.