Paul Rapoport
Dozens Disciple
Paul Rapoport
Dozens Disciple

Mar 2 2018, 05:06 PM #25

I don't think that having one's birthday on a fixed day of the week is enough of a problem to deny the considerable benefits coming from easily knowing which days of the week go with which dates, especially when all the months have the same pattern. Moreover, even now, children's birthday parties are often held on a weekend, when all involved, especially the parents, have more time for them.

hotdog8
Casual Member
hotdog8
Casual Member

Mar 3 2018, 01:01 PM #26

Thankyou Paul for your support - I was going to suggest to Wendy the same thing about weekend parties myself. You mention "the considerable benefits" coming from such a calendar - one that I can see, coming from an economics perspective, is that the calendar offers the opportunity for an alternative to the present work-a-day week of 5 days work then 2 days off for those lucky enough to hold down a full-time job. What this current social custom is doing is creating an underclass of people who cant find full time jobs i.e. work a full five days, and who have to settle for casual work for 2 days on the weekend. As a result their average wage would in all probability be considerably less than the average wage of full time workers and as such would result in them living quite a frugal, basic socio-economic lifestyle just to make ends meet, probably relying on social welfare to get by. (Note: this may not be a fact - it is merely my opinion derived a priori before the fact from logical deductions made from observable premises.) With a 6 day week we may well be on the way to an improvement in social equality by having some workers working the first 3 days of the week (and of course having the last 3 days off) and some workers working the last 3 days of the week, so that each group of workers serves the needs of the other group to shop for goods and services. I can conceivably foresee up to 6 groups of workers working in a week but at staggered times during the day, just so consumers can shop at any time of the day and week that suits them!

Paul Rapoport
Dozens Disciple
Paul Rapoport
Dozens Disciple

Mar 3 2018, 10:25 PM #27

I make no assumptions about the 6-day week. How it's divided as to work isn't to me truly a calendar question. Most people may think that 4+2 makes more sense. Regardless, economic reasons may be based on western urban life, which is only one perspective.

Because no one is going to adopt my calendar, I simply use it the way I want to or can. I don't concern myself with how others may divide the week, although I find arguments for one sort of division or another worthwhile. I do as many things as possible in sixes or twos or threes but also must obviously do much in sevens.