How to teach dozens

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

6:34 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #1

This is how I introduce a person to dozens: 

I first count to 20-z for them and have them repeat.  One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve (they always find this first part simple) followed by twelve-one, twelve-two... twelve-ten, twelve-eleven, twent-ze. (most people can do this, if they can't I have them repeat me one number at a time) 
Then I show them how to write the numbers and introduce what other bases are while giving the examples of computers using base 2. 

The next step is the count all the way to gross.

What input is there from others here?

SenaryThe12th
Regular

8:00 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #2

richard.chasen wrote:    This is how I introduce a person to dozens: 

I first count to 20-z for them and have them repeat.  One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve (they always find this first part simple) followed by twelve-one, twelve-two... twelve-ten, twelve-eleven, twent-ze. (most people can do this, if they can't I have them repeat me one number at a time) 
Then I show them how to write the numbers and introduce what other bases are while giving the examples of computers using base 2. 

The next step is the count all the way to gross.

What input is there from others here?
How did you come up with that method?  Did  you try several ways and this one was the best?  How did you measure that?

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

8:14 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #3

I have a gift for teaching. When I teach I communicate with a person's subconscious. And this method has worked with several different people. 

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

8:24 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #4

I would not teach them any new words, not at first. I would point out to them that they already know how to count in dozenal, such that any native English speaker would perfectly understand them, without any need to explain:

one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, one-dozen

one-dozen-one, one-dozen-two, one-dozen-three, one-dozen-four,one-dozen- five, one-dozen-six, one-dozen-seven, one-dozen-eight, one-dozen-nine, one-dozen-ten, one-dozen-eleven, two-dozen, ...

and so on up through

eleven-dozen-one, eleven-dozen-two, eleven-dozen-three, eleven-dozen-four, eleven-dozen-five, eleven-dozen-six, eleven-dozen-seven, eleven-dozen-eight, eleven-dozen-nine, eleven-dozen-ten, eleven-dozen-eleven, one-gross,  ...

And then I'd explain how they already know how to count this way up to eleven-gross eleven-dozen-eleven.... At which point they need some new word. Then I'd come up with some possibilities... 🙂
As of 1202/03/01[z]=2018/03/01[d] I use:
ten,eleven = ↊↋, ᘔƐ, ӾƐ, XE or AB.
Base-neutral base annotations
Systematic Dozenal Nomenclature
Primel Metrology
Western encoding (not by choice)
Greasemonkey + Mathjax + PrimelDozenator
(Links to these and other useful topics are in my index post;
click on my user name and go to my "Website" link)

SenaryThe12th
Regular

8:24 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #5

richard.chasen wrote: I have a gift for teaching. When I teach I communicate with a person's subconscious. And this method has worked with several different people. 
How would we know that this method would work for somebody who was less gifted than you are?  

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

8:34 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #6

SenaryThe12th wrote:
richard.chasen wrote: I have a gift for teaching. When I teach I communicate with a person's subconscious. And this method has worked with several different people. 
How would we know that this method would work for somebody who was less gifted than you are?  
Richard has a gift for just knowing facts that are not actually in evidence. Particularly if it's about himself and his many amazing abilities.🙄
Primel Metrology

richard.chasen
Casual Member
richard.chasen
Casual Member

4:21 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #7

Kodegadulo wrote:

Richard has a gift for just knowing facts that are not actually in evidence. Particularly if it's about himself and his many amazing abilities.🙄
    Do you want to hear something really amazing? 
Imagine someone with above average intelligence studying and training just to stay alive for 30 years and not developing abilities. 

I remember a story of an old man practicing martial arts in the park in China. People were in awe of his talents and said this was amazing for an old man. His reply was that to train all his life and not have this level of skill would be even more amazing. 

My forced spiritual path started when I was in Army intelligence basic training at age 18 in 1983 as a young man ignorant of spirituality and psychology who was also a complete idiot with women. A couple of days before I left the Army I had 200 men in formation chant the theme to the Twilight Zone to me while I was in a stressed stupor, after 2 weeks of being called Twilight. 

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

6:29 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #8

richard.chasen wrote:Do you want to hear something really amazing? 
What does this have to do with mathematics? (Real mathematics that is.) Or dozenal base?  Or teaching it to people?
Primel Metrology

icarus
Dozens Demigod
icarus
Dozens Demigod

11:56 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #9

My method is simple. People are already dozenalists.

one-two-three-four-five-six-seven-eight-nine-ten-eleven-dozen.

one dozen-one, etc.; two dozen. Three dozen, four dozen, ... ten dozen, eleven dozen, disgusting. I mean gross. Terry Gross. Fresh air. Which is a dozen dozens. Hella donuts, hella eggs.

7 + 9 = one dozen four which is sixteen. Four times seven is two dozen four which is twenty eight. (the "which is" comes from Gene Zirkel, a professor; very handy).

We are simply regrouping and stating in dozens versus tens.

For fractions I have them think of a clock. What number do we land on when we are at half past? 6. So 1/2 = .6 uncially. The quarter hour? Yes. 3. So 1/4 = .3 dozenally. etc. A third of an hour is on the 4, so 1/3 = .4 How is it in decimal? .33333... Convenient? And we can talk about what to do with eighths, that we divide the space between the numbers on the clock in twelve (since it's dozenal) rather than five. So if 1/8 of the way around the clock lands exactly between 1 and 2, and we have twelve divisions, we know 1/2 = .6, we can say 1/8 = .16 in base twelve.

They already understand these things. We compare it with tens when they accept they already know these facts.

---

The Twilight Zone.

"Help I'm steppin' into the Twilight Zone
Place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned
My beacon's been moved under moon and star
Where am I to go, now that I've gone too far"

Richard you are so brilliant. Why do you need to grandstand? It's puzzling. Why does it have to do with subconsciousness? I guess when I submit to a person they already know this stuff, that's reaching their subconscious. "What you don't have you don't need it now / What you don't know you can feel it somehow". That's just mystique, some extra spice that eventually gets in the way. I would just say there is a logical reason for people's familiarity with dozens. They've used them all their lives because the dozen is very useful, and all I am doing is helping them realize it and more consciously state things in terms of the dozen to tap its power. Nothing metaphysical.

I guess you just want people to identify with you, or you want us to marvel. Marvelous. But we all talk about dozens (or similar things) with other people.

As for any gift of teaching, I'll let other people tell me that.