Good Morning

Post here to introduce yourself and say hello.

Good Morning

Einmaleins
Casual Member
Einmaleins
Casual Member

Feb 13 2018, 07:08 AM #1

Hallo and Good Morning!
I am Hans-Rudolf, from Germany, and I am looking into dozenal. i have been visiting for some time as 'Guest'.
My nickname is "Einmaleins", which for those here who do not understand German, is translated in English as "Times Table". I have some ideas which i shall present later.

Shaun
Dozens Disciple
Shaun
Dozens Disciple

Feb 13 2018, 10:34 AM #2

And good morning and welcome to you!

I look forward to reading any ideas you can suggest for suitable dozenal counting words in German.
I use the following conventions for dozenal numbers in my posts.

* prefixes a dozenal number, e.g. *50 = 60.
The apostrophe (') is used as a dozenal point, e.g. 0'6 = 0.5.
T and E stand for ten and eleven respectively.

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

Feb 13 2018, 10:50 AM #3

Hmmm, I suppose if there can be languages whose word for "character-list" is just the first entries in it -- alpha-beta ... 'a-b-ja-d --- then it's fair to say that there could be a language whose word for "multiplication table" is just the first entry in that -- "one-times-one".

Willkommen im Forum, Hans-Rudolf! :)
As of 1202/03/01[z]=2018/03/01[d] I use:
ten,eleven = ↊↋, ᘔƐ, ӾƐ, XE or AB.
Base-neutral base annotations
Systematic Dozenal Nomenclature
Primel Metrology
Western encoding (not by choice)
Greasemonkey + Mathjax + PrimelDozenator
(Links to these and other useful topics are in my index post;
click on my user name and go to my "Website" link)

Einmaleins
Casual Member
Einmaleins
Casual Member

Feb 13 2018, 01:50 PM #4

Shaun @ Feb 13 2018, 10:34 AM wrote: I look forward to reading any ideas you can suggest for suitable dozenal counting words in German.
Yes, I think it is an important topic. I have looked at that old Teliosadik post and realised no-one has really delved into this.

Einmaleins
Casual Member
Einmaleins
Casual Member

Feb 13 2018, 01:54 PM #5

Kodegadulo @ Feb 13 2018, 10:50 AM wrote:

Willkommen im Forum, Hans-Rudolph! :)
Thank you; and it is Hans-Rudolf with f not ph.

I have also looked at your many linguistic contributions and creations; almost your own thesaurus! Many hours of work.

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

Feb 13 2018, 05:53 PM #6

Einmaleins @ Feb 13 2018, 01:54 PM wrote:
Kodegadulo @ Feb 13 2018, 10:50 AM wrote:

Willkommen im Forum, Hans-Rudolph! :)
Thank you; and it is Hans-Rudolf with f not ph.
Apologies, corrected it.

Amazing what tricks the mind will play when one is trying to type on a narrow cell-phone screen, and a name one has read only moments before has scrolled out of sight. And it's an apt demonstration why it's best to leave the translation of an idea to a native speaker of the target language -- it's hard to escape the habits and patterns of one's own language.

No one here has tried to tackle "Dozenal Deutsche" because we just are not native speakers. But we'd encourage you to try.
As of 1202/03/01[z]=2018/03/01[d] I use:
ten,eleven = ↊↋, ᘔƐ, ӾƐ, XE or AB.
Base-neutral base annotations
Systematic Dozenal Nomenclature
Primel Metrology
Western encoding (not by choice)
Greasemonkey + Mathjax + PrimelDozenator
(Links to these and other useful topics are in my index post;
click on my user name and go to my "Website" link)

icarus
Dozens Demigod
icarus
Dozens Demigod

Feb 13 2018, 11:13 PM #7

Welcome Hans-Rudolf!

Double sharp
Dozens Demigod
Double sharp
Dozens Demigod

Feb 14 2018, 04:08 AM #8

Kodegadulo @ Feb 13 2018, 10:50 AM wrote: Hmmm, I suppose if there can be languages whose word for "character-list" is just the first entries in it -- alpha-beta ... 'a-b-ja-d --- then it's fair to say that there could be a language whose word for "multiplication table" is just the first entry in that -- "one-times-one".

Willkommen im Forum, Hans-Rudolf! :)
And similarly, the traditional Chinese name for the multiplication table is the "nine-nine" table.

Likewise, welcome, Hans-Rudolf! ^_^

Einmaleins
Casual Member
Einmaleins
Casual Member

Feb 14 2018, 06:48 AM #9

Kodegadulo @ Feb 13 2018, 05:53 PM wrote: it's hard to escape the habits and patterns of one's own language.
English has so many little quirks - with names and 'ph' you have Ralph and Rolf, for example. Why should the ph not change to f? Language usage is fascinating.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Ruthe
Regular
Ruthe
Regular

Feb 18 2018, 12:27 AM #10

Willkommen Hans-Rudolf, wo kommen Sie in Deutschland?
Ich bin Engländer, aber lebte in Hamburg seit 5 Jahren als Kind.

Thats the last time I'll try my meager repetoire of German.
Why a Roman pocket abacus? They used dozenal fractions as their main form of fractions, 12 inches per foot & originally 12 oz per pound (inch=ounce=uncia=1/12). Columns 1 & 2 of the abacus are for dozenal fractions, column two for twelfths and column one, dozenal fractions of a twelfth. Columns 3 through 8 provided a decimal place value system with values from 1s to millions where each lower bead counts as 1 & the upper beads count 5 of a column's base 10 power, Is, Vs, Xs, Ls, Cs ,Ds, Ms etc.

Einmaleins
Casual Member
Einmaleins
Casual Member

Feb 24 2018, 11:54 AM #11

Thank you Ruthe.
I donot know Hamburg. I am originally from Vienna, but now travel around working in the south of Germany.

Ruthe
Regular
Ruthe
Regular

Feb 24 2018, 09:51 PM #12

Einmaleins, what is you business. It would be interesting to see if that has any reason for you becoming interested in base 12. I also know there was a large following in Bavaria for weights and measures based on twelve, a rod of 6 feet, a foot of 12 inces, an inch of 12 lines and a line of 12 points.
Why a Roman pocket abacus? They used dozenal fractions as their main form of fractions, 12 inches per foot & originally 12 oz per pound (inch=ounce=uncia=1/12). Columns 1 & 2 of the abacus are for dozenal fractions, column two for twelfths and column one, dozenal fractions of a twelfth. Columns 3 through 8 provided a decimal place value system with values from 1s to millions where each lower bead counts as 1 & the upper beads count 5 of a column's base 10 power, Is, Vs, Xs, Ls, Cs ,Ds, Ms etc.

Einmaleins
Casual Member
Einmaleins
Casual Member

Feb 26 2018, 06:55 AM #13

I am a delivery driver. This morning I am in Prag - the job takes me out of Germany itself some days.
Yes, I have heard of the old measures, but I heard about dozenal from my math teacher who had a document (in German) about dozenal; I cannot tell you any more of that but it was from an Englishman. Which we laugh about as it is said 'the English do not learn foreign languages' and it was uusual.

wendy.krieger
wendy.krieger

Mar 1 2018, 09:04 AM #14

Welcome aboard, Hans-Rudulf. 

My great grandfather came out from Sachen-Anhalt before the 1866 war.  My grandfater was Otto Krieger.  But mother's side was shipped out from Lancaster, where the name 'sturzaker' is found.  During the wars, they were called germans, although the name is still found north of Bolton.

I'm largely a twelftyist, but there are lots of useful things I have learnt of 12 and measures from being here.  I used dozenal back in 1184 (1972). 

Einmaleins
Casual Member
Einmaleins
Casual Member

Mar 1 2018, 05:22 PM #15

Krieger is certainly Germanic name - so you are a fighter?
Twelfty is not one of my interests; just the twelve-system.

wendy.krieger
wendy.krieger

Mar 2 2018, 12:57 PM #16

So I have been told, that it is actually a rendering of Kruger (one who pulls a Krug or beer-jug).    Also family lore is that some fore-elder was some gardener of Otto Bismark.

Einmaleins
Casual Member
Einmaleins
Casual Member

Mar 5 2018, 07:09 AM #17

Perhaps one should not look too deep into family roots; who knows what lies there!