Dozenal Month Name Reform

Dozenal Month Name Reform

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

Nov 14 2017, 09:55 PM #1

Just a modest proposal for tweaking the names of the last four months of the year: It's rather ludicrous that September, October, November, and December are still named for their original positions as the seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth months, respectively, of the Roman calendar. But for centuries now they've occupied the ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth slots of the modern calendar, without ever being renamed accordingly. I propose we fix that, and at the same time give it a dozenal twist: Thoughts?
As of 1202/03/01[z]=2018/03/01[d] I use:
ten,eleven = ↊↋, ᘔƐ, ӾƐ, XE or AB.
Base-neutral base annotations
Systematic Dozenal Nomenclature
Primel Metrology
Western encoding (not by choice)
Greasemonkey + Mathjax + PrimelDozenator
(Links to these and other useful topics are in my index post;
click on my user name and go to my "Website" link)

Double sharp
Dozens Demigod
Double sharp
Dozens Demigod

Nov 14 2017, 11:34 PM #2

I remember Zenarchist suggested something similar a while back: ah, here it is.

As one of those people who keeps unconsciously writing "8" or "VIII" for October before correcting it to "10" or "X" respectively, I wholeheartedly support this proposal! ^_^

Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster
Kodegadulo
Obsessive poster

Nov 15 2017, 11:07 AM #3

Wow, I had no memory at all of Zenarchist's proposal, but I'm happy to acknowledge it! It felt to me like these coinages had a certain inevitable logic to them, so Zenarchist looks to have trodden the same path:

You don't want to reuse any of the old names, so you have to find entirely new forms.

You need something other than Latin novem to signify "nine", so going with Greek ennea yields "Ennember".

SDN gives leva for "eleven", and the resulting "Levember" rhymes with "November" in all but the first syllable.

"Dozen" abbreviates to either "doz" or "zen", and I toyed with "Zenember", but then realized that "Dozember" sounds much like "December".

I guess my unique contribution was to keep the tail of "October" and weld it into a portmanteau with "dec" to yield "Dectober".
As of 1202/03/01[z]=2018/03/01[d] I use:
ten,eleven = ↊↋, ᘔƐ, ӾƐ, XE or AB.
Base-neutral base annotations
Systematic Dozenal Nomenclature
Primel Metrology
Western encoding (not by choice)
Greasemonkey + Mathjax + PrimelDozenator
(Links to these and other useful topics are in my index post;
click on my user name and go to my "Website" link)