New Staff Members

New Staff Members

July 7th, 2014, 3:16 am #1

So I posted a thread where people could "apply" to be a moderator. I've said that I would add 2 or 3 new moderators--one would be a graphics and coding mod, and the other(s) would be involved with moving/closing threads and reviewing new apps, etc. So far we have 4 applicants:

1. Elsie
2. Hunter (for graphics/coding)
3. Mikyala (graphics and coding), and
4. Kat.

Elsie is, of course, the strongest candidate. But she's so tight with Corny, and Corny annoys the crap out of me, so I wonder if there will be a conflict of interest there. I think this should be discussed with her before we agree to let her in/

:Likewise for Hunter, I am afraid.

I trust Mikayla more and I know she knows her stuff with graphics and coding. But she's never here.

Kat is inexperienced, but she is ALWAYS here and I know she's got my back,.

Thoughts?

July 7th, 2014, 5:05 pm #2

I vote Kat and Mikayla for the reasons you gave, if only to avoid drama and a power trip.

sig by fabaa on Tumblr <3!

July 8th, 2014, 5:26 pm #3

I feel like Elsie already thinks she's staff and that I'll therefore choose her. And that's another reason to give me pause with her. But I do think she could be helpful... I don't know. I might have to PM her and outright ask her if she can be impartial where Corny is concerned.

July 10th, 2014, 6:28 pm #4

I notice that Mikayla has withdrawn her name for the position of graphics/coding mod. This means we'll have to go with Hunter, because he is the only one who applied for that. This means that Elsie is officially out of the running, because having one of the Trio on the team is potentially problematic enough, but two is out of the question.

Luckily, Rex has put in to be a mod and he is as good a candidate as Elsie, and more impartial. So I say we go with Rex, Kat, and Hunter.

July 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm #5

Mel--Any last thoughts on new staff members?

I basically want to add three, not two, because I think that Kat is not as strong when it comes to reading applications and such. I want her in her mainly because she is here all the time and can at least do something when neither of us are available.

I have asked Mikayla if she and Hunter can work together on a new skin. Not that I don't like this one, but I kinda like the idea of starting fresh with a new skin, and I feel that if Mikayla works on it, I will be able to ask her for help if something goes wonky. Both Mikayla and Hunter are good at graphics, but I trust Mikayla's coding knowledge more.

I feel like Elsie already thinks she's staff, and that it's a forgone conclusion that I will pick her. But I worry about her partiality to Corny, as mentioned before. Furthermore, since Hunter is our only option for an actual coding/graphics mod, I don't *really* want them both on staff, although technically as coding mod, I don't have to give Hunter access to the admin forum.

I'm basically on the fence between Elsie and Rex. I think Rex would do a good job, and certainly so would Elsie... I just worry about the Corny factor with her, yet I don't want to piss her off by turning her down.

I am too damn nice for this.

July 21st, 2014, 3:01 am #6

I sent this questionnaire to Elsie and Rex:

I am still deciding between two of you, so I've decided to ask you a few more questions to give me a better idea of what kind of moderator you would be.

1. Take a look at two recent apps (your choice) and tell me how you would respond to them. Would you accept them outright, or would you make them change anything? What would you make them change?

2. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep canon characters active?

3. What about regulars who post in the c-box constantly but hardly ever post? Do you have any suggestions for how to encourage them to post?

4. What do you suggest doing about members who keep making new characters while not keeping up with the old ones?

5. How do you feel about minimum word counts or minimum post counts per character per time shift?

6. Do you feel you can be fair and impartial to a regular member if they post an inferior app or if they are behaving in a way that is contrary to the rules of the board?

July 21st, 2014, 6:15 pm #7

I think Elsie ferreted out my reason for the "extra" questions. Here are her answers:

1. Take a look at two recent apps (your choice) and tell me how you would respond to them. Would you accept them outright, or would you make them change anything? What would you make them change?

First app: Charlotte Campbell

I would not approve it outright primarily because of the grammatical errors. Examples of this are: “Compliments” instead of “complements”; “3 feet 9 inches” instead of 3’9”; “times fashion” instead of “time’s fashion”.

The wording in the appearance section is strange; it just doesn’t flow.

The personality section shows a consistent misuse of commas; additionally, too many sentences start with the conjunctions “so” and “but”.

While I understand that Kitty was asked to elaborate more on Charlotte’s birth and the surrounding circumstances, I feel like the app focused more on the parents than it did on Charlotte. I want to know about Charlotte in this app, not Alexis. I didn’t read this application before it was edited, but the way it is now, it’s too wordy and hard to follow. That being said, I do understand that Kitty’s first language isn’t English. As a mod, I would weigh that and approve accordingly.

Second app: James Harkness:

I would accept this application outright. There are a couple of run-on sentences here and there, but it is very well-written.

2. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep canon characters active?

I believe that requiring characters to post once a month or forfeit is too long for canons. This is not to say that original characters can’t be crucial to plots, but our canons should drive the site. I suggest a shorter period of time within which canons must post.

What I have come to learn through running my own board is that nothing kills a board more than inactivity. There is no sense in keeping a canon character open if a member is not using the character because a guest could come in and say, “Well, I thought about joining, but X is taken” and leave. Take it from someone who very recently went board-shopping with another fandom – I looked for the character I wanted, saw that it was taken, and left, and all without going into the box to announce my intentions. I went through at least a half-dozen sites before I found a site that had an opening for the character that I wanted. We hold our canons forever with the one-month activity rule but it’s too long. Plots fall by the side, people get upset, people leave.

I also think we should have more group threads. The meal threads that we used to do got everybody posting and it was really nice to see everyone’s take on a situation. We also had some interesting moments/plots develop out of group threads. Additionally, they help keep all of the members united. The murder mystery plot should help drive activity because everyone will be under scrutiny.

I was also thinking that admins/mods need to take an interest in the new people that take canons (or even OCs). Many times new people join and the mods/admins talk to them but do not engage beyond that. We can start threads with them to help them get in the flow of things. I’m not saying that they’re ignored, but we can make more of an effort to not leave them to flounder.

It's also not enough to just show up at shift change and post that you're still active. Real life and lack of muse happen, but some people use that excuse way to much. If your real life is that busy and you have no muse for that long of a time, then you need to relinquish your character. Like I said above, people want to join but the characters they are interested in are taken and to top it off barely posted. Maybe someone needs to ask the new people what canons they are interested in, because maybe something can be done. I think it should be in the admin/mods discretion to take a canon away from people that do not post them frequently enough. A dialogue should be opened in the admin forum and all should weigh in.

3. What about regulars who post in the c-box constantly but hardly ever post? Do you have any suggestions for how to encourage them to post?

I have a huge problem with this and consider it to be the most frustrating aspect of DA-RPG. If a member has time to sit in the box and chat, then the member has time to post. As far as those members who do not have an actual computer and are chatting from their phones, they can also post from their phones. It’s annoying because of the small screen, yes; but if you have time to chat, you have time to post. (Side note: I completed my entire application for Regina on my iPhone; the screen is small and it was a long app, so I personally don’t buy the “I can’t write on my phone” excuse.)

My suggestion for these members is to gently remind them of the open/active thread going on and nudge them to post. The posting challenges that used to happen in the box can be fun, too. I’m not suggesting that we say “Post fifty times in this month and we’ll give you a badge” because you know that some people will take advantage of that and spam the playlist thread, but we should have incentives for staying active. While there are boards that go overboard with badges and awards, a few more contests could also motivate members to be active. We were swarmed with activity on our birthday. What I said in my response to the previous question applies here as well.

4. What do you suggest doing about members who keep making new characters while not keeping up with the old ones?

[/i]I don’t believe that a member should be permitted to make a new character if he/she can’t keep up with the character that he/she already has. I suggest PMing the member to say that they should focus on character X or Y before bringing character Z into the game.

We should have a trial period or time frame for 'unlocking' a new character. You must be on the site at least a month and acquired a total of X amount of posts. Second character will require post X times, and so on. I think there should be a cap set to limit how many you write and after that it must be with permission of the admins/mods if you are allowed another.

Take Corny, for example. She’s got five characters. She posts Ren frequently; Martha is somewhat active as well as Baxter right now, but she has not used Gwynne or Zahara all of the previous shift. Granted, there was nothing for her to really do with them, but she’s not generating anything to do with them either. She should not be allowed to make a sixth character until she gets Gwynne and Zahara going. If she showed within a shift that she can be active with them, then she should be allowed another character... but it's on the condition that she needs to keep Gwynne and Zahara going as well. She can't have the new character and then bail on those two. If she bail on them, the new character will be placed on hold or something.[/i]

5. How do you feel about minimum word counts or minimum post counts per character per time shift?

I don’t have a problem with a minimum word count or a minimum post count per character per shift; two hundred words can go by fairly quickly in two-three well-crafted paragraphs. As far as requiring a post count per shift, I think that’s a great idea, as it keeps stories going (and members active).

Or, another suggestion: maybe keep the post count to minimum and then a post count to canons only. Canons drive the site (some OCs do as well) but we are a canon focused site, not an OC focused site.

6. Do you feel you can be fair and impartial to a regular member if they post an inferior app or if they are behaving in a way that is contrary to the rules of the board?

I do, yes… see my comments above for proof.