09/11/2001

Forum for serious discussion.

09/11/2001

Demon28
Major

Sep 11 2010, 09:05 PM #1

On this ninth anniversity of the September 11th attack on the Twin Towers, do you remember? Remember what you were doing? Where you were on that awful day?

Are you flying the Flag in remembrance of the innocent lives lost?

I was home, having called into work sick. My husband woke me, saying I had to watch what was happening. I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV, watching in horror and disbelief at what was happening. I couldn't believe; couldn't believe we had been attacked.

I remember going to work the next day and putting up with the assholes who wanted to know why they had not received their expected orders. Where the hell were they when the Towers fell? Didn't they know we had been attacked? That people where dead? Their stupid orders meant nothing on September 12th, not after September 11th.

At a memorial service hastily put together at work, we sang "God Bless America" with tears running down our faces. As we were dismissed to go back to work, several of us growled out "Let's Roll" in remembrance of the brave passengers of Flight 93. Cries of "Never Forget" echoed out....

Now, 9 years later, it seems as if we have forgotten. There are only 8 flags flying today on my street, sad to say. Eight.....

Every year since 2001, I've flown my Flag, the Flag that covered my Father's coffin. I wear my FDNY t-shirt to work in remembrance of the brave firefighters lost on that day. I pray for the families of those lost on that day.

Where were you on that day? Do you remember? Do you fly your Flag in remembrance?

Our parents had Pearl Harbor as the defining moment in their lives. We have 9/11. What will future generations have if we forget?
You improvise, You adapt, You overcome.
Semper Fi Carry On

Sep 18 2010, 02:49 AM #2

I was at work - it happened early afternoon, UK time. One of my colleagues had gone for a cigarette break and came back saying that a plane had flown into the Twin Towers. The porters had a telly in their little room and the news spread through the building. It was the sheer scale of the attack that hit most people, and we wondered how things would develop internationally from that point. News of the attack filled the Tv schedules that evening and I watched more about it.

I would say the attack was less of a shock to the British than to most Americans. After all, most adults then had grown up with IRA terrorist attacks in our towns and cities a regular feature of life. To this day there are no litter bins in British railway stations because the IRA used to dump nail bombs in bins and leave before they went off, causing devastation on crowded platforms.
Our news coverage in the papers and on telly has more international coverage than most Americans get. The idea of a suicide bomber/terrorist was less shocking, as we'd seen reports of many such attacks before, usually from the middle east.

The events of 9/11 were terrible, and were marked over here with a series of documentaries. I watched a fascinating one covering America's responses to the events as they unfolded, with interviews with everyone from firemen who entered the Twin Towers, to Condoleeza Rice. The programme really bought home what a stunning blow it was to America. I think your comparison to the impact of Pearl Harbour is very valid.
It was a terrible day for people of all religions.
"If you continue to map the Unknown Regions, you'll have to call them something else."

Durell
Commodore
Durell
Commodore

Sep 18 2010, 11:09 PM #3

Oh I remember that people over here went from unbelieving, meaning that they didn't really know how to process the events or just didn't understand the gravity of it yet. For them it was just some towers. And the days after people were in shock and some even out right paniced.

I still remember how I heard about it first, on the radio and then switching on the TV and see the second plane hit the second tower.

And looking back at it, it is sad to see how much support the US first got and then slowly lost the initial support by just going crazy.

Now, to the rememberance, I have to admit I don't do it. We even had a big family party once on that day. I'm personally not a big fan of having to remember something on a certain day. I still think about 9/11 and the consequences especially, but not just because everyone around me reminds of it and I feel obligated to it.

(I hope I'm making any sense right now, if not I blame my cold that closed of my head and with it my brain. :P)
Das Leben ist kein Ponyhof