Rainbow Falls (Off Serpentine Road) r/o

Rainbow Falls (Off Serpentine Road) r/o

February 11th, 2003, 2:13 pm #1

Here's my pictorial of Rainbow Falls...
http://www.stevegarufi.com/rainbowfalls.htm

Just curious, how many of you have actually seen Rainbow Falls off Serpentine Road? It's a really beautiful waterfall, but unfortunately, a few idiot engineers in the 1940's decided to build a huge bridge that travels directly over it. In the old days, guests at the Cliff House could take a burro ride up Manitou Avenue to visit the beauitful falls ... have things changed!

Now the area is most popular for adventurous teenagers with spray cans and other young gangsters. Call me an idealist, but I envision a beautiful park in that area with more historical signs talking about Ute Pass, some kind of well-manicured land and YES, the removal of that hideous bridge that tramples on the dignity of Rainbow Falls. (People needing to go westbound on Route 24 can take Serpentine Road.)

I ask, when is this community going to take back our local environment?

Someday...

Love, Steve

P.S. FYI - That Rainbow Falls area is actually just outside of Manitou Springs city border and is officially unincorporated El Paso county. It is owned privately, from what I hear, by a company in Denver.

Hey! That's me below!
Last edited by stevegarufi on April 28th, 2003, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 11th, 2003, 11:10 pm #2

...and, like Steve, envision the area reclaimed for use (not including defacement) by the public. I don't know about moving the bridge, but at least have the city buy the land and make a trail and park out of the area!

PikesPeakDenise

Jeff Christlieb
Jeff Christlieb

February 12th, 2003, 5:24 am #3

Just curious, how many of you have actually seen Rainbow Falls off Serpentine Road? It's a really beautiful waterfall, but unfortunately, a few idiot engineers in the 1940's decided to build a huge bridge that travels directly over it. In the old days, guests at the Cliff House could take a burro ride up Manitou Avenue to visit the beauitful falls ... have things changed!

Now the area is most popular for adventurous teenagers with spray cans and other young gangsters. Call me an idealist, but I envision a beautiful park in that area with more historical signs talking about Ute Pass, some kind of well-manicured land and YES, the removal of that hideous bridge that tramples on the dignity of Rainbow Falls. (People needing to go westbound on Route 24 can take Serpentine Road.)

Someday...

Love, Steve

P.S. FYI - That Rainbow Falls area is actually just outside of Manitou Springs city border and is officially unincorporated El Paso county. It is owned privately, from what I hear, by a company in Denver.

Hey! That's me below!
Steve,
I wonder what the possiblities are for making the falls a historic landmark. If we talk to the local congressman in your area, that could be one possiblity. I invision the bridge being taken out and the area being turned into a park with our "Colorado Lottery" dollars. Making it a historic landmark would at least stop any further damage. I've also investigated purchasing the land just west of the falls right across from the "Little Ute Chief Spring," they want 2 million dollars for the 27 acres. Too much money for me to buy.

--Jeff

February 13th, 2003, 5:26 am #4

Who's our congressman to write to, Steve? (Yes, I am aware that I am showing my political ignorance here!)

PPD

February 13th, 2003, 2:16 pm #5

love, steve

Sometimes I look like this...
<I>Life is too short not to live in Colorado!</I>

April 14th, 2003, 12:26 am #6

Someday...

Love, Steve

Hey! That's me below!
I took it today while on the bridge...

Love, Steve

Donna Ford
Donna Ford

April 28th, 2003, 6:39 am #7

Great picture, Steve!! I'm sure you realize that the "Falls" are in the county and not the city. That is one of the problems. HOWEVER, we (the council) have talked about talking to the county about our taking care of them and cleaning them up. I will bring this back up at a work session. I would think the county would appreciate our help.

DF

April 28th, 2003, 2:48 pm #8

...and that is a big part of the problem.

You have my full support in bringing it up at a work session. Clearly, that area needs to be taken care of, for it is the western gateway that tourists see when entering and leaving Manitou.

Love, Steve

March 4th, 2006, 3:13 am #9

Someday...

Love, Steve

Hey! That's me below!
ha! all of us that go to mshs call it stoner falls