I've been daydreaming FOR Steve....

I've been daydreaming FOR Steve....

April 13th, 2017, 9:28 pm #1

...trying to think of fun adventures for the future since he finished his bike trip.

Here are my ideas thus far:

Six months in Alaska, working as a counselor in a quirky town and doing a vlog about it.

Steve creates an awesome coffee table book of all the places in Colorado that he has visited, experienced, done stories on or about. Lots of fun pictures. Sell them to tourists.

Steve delves into the world of ASMR and makes eating videos on YouTube.

Steve buys a tee pee that he lives in and takes up a nomadic lifestyle. Sets up tee pee in walmart parking lots as needed. Makes money by painting portraits.

Steve takes a break from it all and becomes a coffee barista in Arkansas.

Last edited by KansasKelly on April 13th, 2017, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2017, 10:49 pm #2

First of all, on a serious (and probably annoying) note, adjusting to normal life has been hard. I'm generally doing OK, so no major worries. However, I do kind of feel like the way missionaries sometimes do when they return home after a long outing on the field. Is it counter-culture shock? All I know is, I need time to decompress... to process everything that happened... the trip seemed to end abruptly and I still feel sad about it.

Now, about your ideas:

1) I like the Arkansas barista idea, but you know, I think I'd rather be a barista in northern Louisiana. Did you see when I was practicing my accent?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZBoq3m7J4

2) ASMR? I had to research it. That sounds weird. :p

3) The tipi idea isn't too shabby. Awww, I miss my tipi!

4) Doing counseling in a quirky town in Alaska (or some other interesting place) is a GREAT idea. And yes, I could do a vlog, or write a second book.

5) The coffee table book idea is blah. That's something Lars Leber would do -- and I support him with that. I'm just not that into it.

P.S. It's great to see you on the Friendship Board, Kelly!!!
Last edited by stevegarufi on April 13th, 2017, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2017, 4:25 pm #3

...trying to think of fun adventures for the future since he finished his bike trip.

Six months in Alaska, working as a counselor in a quirky town and doing a vlog about it.

Steve creates an awesome coffee table book of all the places in Colorado that he has visited, experienced, done stories on or about. Lots of fun pictures. Sell them to tourists.

Steve buys a tee pee that he lives in and takes up a nomadic lifestyle. Sets up tee pee in walmart parking lots as needed. Makes money by painting portraits.

Soooo much better than my ideas!! These ideas are so totally Steve. I love the first one. I can see all of these being a potential fit - albeit it for only a time. Because as we all know, Steve needs a constant refresh of new adventures!

April 16th, 2017, 4:31 pm #4

First of all, on a serious (and probably annoying) note, adjusting to normal life has been hard. I'm generally doing OK, so no major worries. However, I do kind of feel like the way missionaries sometimes do when they return home after a long outing on the field. Is it counter-culture shock? All I know is, I need time to decompress... to process everything that happened... the trip seemed to end abruptly and I still feel sad about it.

Now, about your ideas:

1) I like the Arkansas barista idea, but you know, I think I'd rather be a barista in northern Louisiana. Did you see when I was practicing my accent?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZBoq3m7J4

2) ASMR? I had to research it. That sounds weird. :p

3) The tipi idea isn't too shabby. Awww, I miss my tipi!

4) Doing counseling in a quirky town in Alaska (or some other interesting place) is a GREAT idea. And yes, I could do a vlog, or write a second book.

5) The coffee table book idea is blah. That's something Lars Leber would do -- and I support him with that. I'm just not that into it.

P.S. It's great to see you on the Friendship Board, Kelly!!!
It is actually a phenomena called 'Re-Entry.' Missionaries, ex-pats, military, international business persons, etc... go through this all of the time. It really is an understudied, not understood reality of returning to one's "normal" life. When I was living in Colorado, I had a referral to do couple's counseling with a missionary couple returning from the field. Massive struggle with transition back to the states and huge marital impact. I ended up referring them to a private practice counselor in Denver who ONLY sees re-entry clients! That was his specialty - re-entry issues!

My sister returned to the states after living in China for 2 yrs. We took her shopping in Walmart like 2 days after she got back...HUGE MISTAKE! Major meltdown, crying tirade in the grocery section because of all of the overwhelming food choices. We literally had to walk her out of the store and just drive back to the house. It took months for her to really transition back.

April 16th, 2017, 4:48 pm #5

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I didn't know you had a sister and that she did missions work in China. Wow!

April 17th, 2017, 3:20 pm #6

Or even Alaska...but how about some place warmer? Maybe South America! They have mountains, right?