Crossing in the winter!?

Crossing in the winter!?

June 9th, 2010, 10:01 pm #1

I'd like to cross the states (Philadelphia > Charlotte > Birmingham > New Orleans > Austin > Phoenix > San Jose) in my custom trike but I'd be leaving November 1st.

I believe if I stay south enough I'd be alright but I'm concerned about the elevations of NM and AZ. Has anyone done a winter traverse or know about southern winter conditions?

Whatcha think? Wanna join me?!

Lowell

Check out my team's website:

http://edge.rit.edu/content/HPV/public/Home

June 14th, 2010, 6:11 pm #2

You'll definitely encounter some winter weather, but like you said, if you stay as south as possible, you should be okay. AZ & NM mountains... yes, you'll probably encounter a snowstorm or two, or perhaps a brutal winter day or two. Go for it anyway!

-Steve
www.ColoradoGuy.com

June 17th, 2010, 5:00 am #3

I'm well aware of your expedition. I've read many of your daily accounts and your preparation page as well as the other pages. You were one of my original inspirations to thinking this is possible. It's good to get your support first hand. Look to facebook for a friend request from me and a message.

Cheers

June 18th, 2010, 6:18 pm #4

Friend, I'm so honored you read my trip report pages. Yes, yes, yes, you must bike across America... if that's your dream and your heart is set on it.

Facebook: I generally keep my personal Facebook list to personal contacts I knew in "real life." I may have turned you down. Don't take it personally!

I was thinking about making some kind of Bike Across America group on Facebook. Hmmmm.

-Steve
www.ColoradoGuy.com

December 20th, 2010, 7:15 pm #5

I'd like to cross the states (Philadelphia > Charlotte > Birmingham > New Orleans > Austin > Phoenix > San Jose) in my custom trike but I'd be leaving November 1st.

I believe if I stay south enough I'd be alright but I'm concerned about the elevations of NM and AZ. Has anyone done a winter traverse or know about southern winter conditions?

Whatcha think? Wanna join me?!

Lowell

Check out my team's website:

http://edge.rit.edu/content/HPV/public/Home
I'm from NH and was planning on biking to CA summer of 2011, but family plans have made it so that if I don't leave soon, I won't be making this trip for a long time. I'm planning on leaving at the start of February, so I have to take a southern route. I'll be starting in Jacksonville, FL and heading to San Jose. Do you recommend any particular roads or routes?