February 27th, 2003, 4:27 am #11

Well, at least I have been a waiter for longer than any other position I have held in my life, considering I paid my way through three degree programs working as one. So no one appreciates the problems of being a waiter more than me.

I also know from experience when a waiter writes a table off as a "lost cause" so he can concentrate on the ones he thinks will give him a tip. We waited for 40 minutes on a slow Monday night to even be acknowledged by our waiter and another 10 before our order was taken. Then we didn't see him again until he delivered the check. Meanwhile he gave great service to the party right next to us--literally 4 feet away. Forgivable at Denny's but when it's a $100 meal that most people can do maybe once a year it's not forgivable.

We didn't ask for him to be fired, but the management was grateful to get our feedback and said they had had other problems with this employee. If there is anyone I have more sympathy for than waiters, it's restaurant managers. No one works harder with less appreciation (and less pay) than management in a good restaurant.

So, yeah, I feel ok about the whole thing. And I stand by my praise of the Craftwood as the best fine dining establishment in Manitou.
On a lighter note...

Hair Consultant candidate Marisa "Dancing Fool" Mosher goes after Manitou Springs citizen activist David Beers. You go, Marisa! You show the public that you've got a spine and you're willing to pick fights when needed! Looking back, when then-candidate Governor Bill Clinton stood up to Sister Souljah in 1992 over her controversial statements, it did wonders for his campaign! YOU GO, GIRL!

Hey, maybe this should go as a headline on the front page: Candidate Marisa Battles Citizen Activist! Hmmmmmmmmm!

On a serious note...

After reading Dave's explanation of what happened with this waitor, which was downright reprehensible and disrespectful to he and his wife, I trust Marisa would agree with Dave.

Hey, maybe you two will meet should Marisa win the election. Remember, she has made a campaign pledge to visit Manitou Springs if she wins the April 2003 Hair Consultant election! Click this link for details: http://www.stevegarufi.com/election2003storymarisa.htm

Love, Steve

Hey! That's me below...

February 27th, 2003, 4:59 am #12

hugs

VOTE MARISA FOR HAIR CONSULTANT 2003!!!

February 27th, 2003, 5:05 am #13

Well, at least I have been a waiter for longer than any other position I have held in my life, considering I paid my way through three degree programs working as one. So no one appreciates the problems of being a waiter more than me.

I also know from experience when a waiter writes a table off as a "lost cause" so he can concentrate on the ones he thinks will give him a tip. We waited for 40 minutes on a slow Monday night to even be acknowledged by our waiter and another 10 before our order was taken. Then we didn't see him again until he delivered the check. Meanwhile he gave great service to the party right next to us--literally 4 feet away. Forgivable at Denny's but when it's a $100 meal that most people can do maybe once a year it's not forgivable.

We didn't ask for him to be fired, but the management was grateful to get our feedback and said they had had other problems with this employee. If there is anyone I have more sympathy for than waiters, it's restaurant managers. No one works harder with less appreciation (and less pay) than management in a good restaurant.

So, yeah, I feel ok about the whole thing. And I stand by my praise of the Craftwood as the best fine dining establishment in Manitou.
I doubt that! From how you have responded to these threads, I'm not surprised he wrote you off because he didn't think you would tip him well! It is you that makes the manager's position so difficult! You're right, they are underpaid and overworked! Only because some people complain and complain to them about every stinking thing!

IF and let me emphasize IF you were ignored for 40 minutes, that does not only say something about that waiter, but the entire restaurant staff...in the restaurant I work in, we team greet tables...every table gets a greet within 60 seconds...if the entire restaurant let you sit there for 40 minutes, there are major problems there!

hugs

David Beers
David Beers

February 27th, 2003, 2:02 pm #14

Was I really so bad?

It was our first anniversary and we were just trying to enjoy each other. We didn't want to remember the night as "the time we got bad service at the Craftwood and had to go find the hostess." If anything I was trying to keep my wife entertained so she wouldn't notice we were being neglected. How would you have handled this, Marisa?

Wondering why I am answering this. I like the Craftwood--the chefs, the managers, all the other servers I have had the pleasure of waiting on me. It's a magical place.

David

February 27th, 2003, 2:19 pm #15

that did come across a bit more harsh than I meant it to. sorry.

hugs

marisa

April 29th, 2003, 1:54 pm #16

Okay, here are my choices. For some of these, it was really difficult to decide, so what I did last night in bed was ... I let the first restaurant that came to mind be the winner, instead of overanalyzing all the restaurants.

Nicest Place to Impress a Date

Adam's Mountain Cafe - The ambiance is delightful! The food has a gourmet-ish flare to it that's just a cut above!

The Best Among the "Ritzy" Ones

Briarhurst Inn - Oh they're so proper and formal there! The old home that you'll dine in is an experience in itself. The Cliff House Restaurant, the Craftwood Inn and the Mona Lisa are all pretty darn good too!

Best Place to Hang Out

Spice of Life Cafe - Oh you knew this was coming! What can I say? It's where all the locals hangout. Good coffee and drinks. Plenty on nice snacks. Right in the heart of downtown. This is definitely NOT Starbucks, people!

Tastiest/Best Food

Stagecoach Inn - Holy Goats Milk! Everytime I go there I am BLOWN AWAY by their food. Their buffalo is scrumptious. Everything is just wonderful there!

Most Overrated Establishment

The Organic Cafe - This place is WAY OVERPRICED! I think I paid nearly $5 for an average sized portion of soy bean ice cream. And I think it was $3 or $4 dollars for a coffee! Yeesh! Sure, if you're a hardcore vegan, this is a cool place, but uhhhhhh...

Most Underrated Establishment

Tajine Alami - I've never eaten there, but here's why it wins this category: Everyone tells me how great it is there and yet I'm too ambivalent to actually try it. Maybe I'm intimidated my Moroccan food. Maybe it's the idea of sitting on a floor with a pillow. Hmmmmmmmm... but for what it's worth, everyone I know loves in there!

There you go! What are YOUR favorite restaurants?

Love, Steve

Heh heh! I love this picture...
I've been back to the Organic Earth Cafe a few times since this post and no longer consider it overrated. I think it's a good restaurant ... a nice place to hang out with a very interesting non-alcoholic nightlife. Definitely a nice place to take a date as well!

-Steve

May 6th, 2003, 7:18 pm #17

Joy and I pondered heading there, due to their late hours, when the Loop was closing up that one night.

PPD

May 29th, 2003, 1:58 am #18

Okay, which restaurant do you think is the best in Manitou Springs? It may be best to categorize Manitou's restaurants into different categories:

[*]Nicest place to impress a date
[*]The best among the "ritzy" ones
[*]Best place to "hang out"
[*]Tastiest/Best food
[*]Most overrated establishment
[*]Most underrated establishment[/i]

Alrighty, I'm going to sleep on it and give me selections in the morning!

Love, Steve

Hey! That's me...
I'm not form there - but my sister says that the keg's salads are Greeeaaat! (read Tony the Tiger style)

May 29th, 2003, 3:58 am #19

...especially their berry chicken salad!

Love, Steve

David Beers
David Beers

May 29th, 2003, 5:34 pm #20

Ditto on the berry chicken salads.

BTW, nice pic of the Spa and Cliff House, Steve! Did you take that from the top of Red Mtn or were you just drifting in space above the town one day and thought you'd snap a shot?

David