I WOULD PREFER ONLY MEMBERS TO VOTE ON THIS ONE! STAFF MAY VOTE IN THE STAFF BOARD!!!!
Vn and I have discussed this back and forth via AIM and then even discussed it mildly in the staff board as well to some fairly positive results. The majority of staff seem to be okay with moving; however staff doth a site make. Aka, its more important for us to know in the long run if you, the member, would be okay with a move in hosting.
For those of you who don't know(and don't feel bad; I'd never heard of Jcink until RPG-D), Jcink is more or less if Invisionfree and Proboards had a baby. It uses the same basic lay out as Invisionfree while being wildly more functional and user friendly. A few examples of its much nicer features would be:
- It makes swapping between skins wildly easier so Digital Dreams may actually get a few different skins instead of the same old one for a year or two.
- There is a repuation system that can be set up. I'm not sure of all the specifics of it but I'd like to try it out on our Test Forum?.
- It is possible to link up different accounts to a primary account. Admittedly, this is less of a biggy since Digital Dreams is an account by player board instead of an account by character. However, its really nice for the staff as we do a lot of swapping between accounts.
- This one I thought was pretty neat; Jcink will actually reformat the skin specifically for viewing on mobile devices.
- Members can make friend's lists on their profile.
- Jcink has amazing support so if anything should go wrong on the board, its very easy to get in contact with someone to help us out.
- It is possible for us to customize our BBCode via Jcink; what this means is that I can make actually function on it. You can also make pretty posting tables and things if you so wish to.
- Jcink is a lot more secure and allows for free back ups of the site; in other words, I or Vn could do daily back ups of Digital Dreams to ensure that if the site was ever hacked, we had copies of everything.
- A built in "Members Online Today" thingie; our current one is coded in and very glitchy.
... however, we must ask for it and they could charge us around forty to fifty dollars for it. Furthermore, there is the strong possibility that the link they send us to download said database... will not be accessible by Vn or I. While Vn and I are both the current admins of Digital Dreams, we aren't set as ROOT Admins. Therefore, we may be locked out of some features such as downloading the database.
This also leads into the fact that our current ROOT Admins are not active and most of our current staff know nothing about them. I know its not great to say it but we don't feel comfortable knowing that complete strangers have complete control over our beloved Digital Dreams. So even if we transfer our Database completely, we'd still have them as our ROOT Admins. Just to clarify, the pros of getting our database and transfering like that:
- All of our threads and posts would transfer over.
- All of our members would transfer over; nobody would have to reregister.
- Vn and I would still only be regular admins; we would not be ROOT.
- We may not be able to access the download link for our database due to the above.
- Two complete strangers would still be our ROOT Admins.
- All inactive member accounts would be transfered as well, giving as a skewed idea of how many active members we may have.
- It costs money; the amount of money it costs isn't certain as we have to wait on a quote from the IF Staff.
As for threads currently on going... just because we move to a new forum doesn't mean that the old DigiD will be deleted. I had the idea that should we choice to go this route, members could "restart" their own going threads by linking to the old on on the new board and simply continuing where the left off. Slightly less disruptive than simply telling members not to start new threads and/or asking them to finish up their current ones before the move.
This is all what if scenarios and possibilities however. This move will not happen if the majority of the members do not want it to. Your opinions matter greatly to the staff and if you're happy with Digital Dreams here on Invisionfree, the staff will accept that and no move will be made at all. We'll continue on at our current place of residences.
Before you vote, please note that there are three different Yes's on the Poll. The plain old simple Yes is for if you're okay with starting from scratch. The Yes, if we can take all our posts, threads, etc, is if you okay with it as long as we do the Database transfer. The final yes is for if you're okay with us moving but you think we'd be better off moving to a different hoster OTHER than IF or Jcink. Please say which one you think we should use below, keeping in mind that Vn and I work minimum wage jobs; expensive self hosting is pushing it!