12(71%)
5(29%)

CURRENT format for standings and schedules is here:
http://w11.zetaboards.com/DiehardsOnlyF ... 581/1/#new

NEW proposed format is here:
http://w11.zetaboards.com/DiehardsOnlyF ... 313/1/#new

HIGHLIGHTS of NEW Format:
1. STANDINGS
Current format limits us to 2 games against each team in your own Conference(16 games). We cant even get 3 games inside our Conference since that would be 24 games in total...and our schedule only has 22 regular season games. There is no way to build any kind of a rivalry if you play someone 2 times per season...
Switching to 4 Divisions will allow us to play inside our own division much more!
Keep in mind NHL also has 4 divisions now and they dont all have same number of teams and it works fine...

2. SCHEDULE
We can get each team to play each team in its division 4 or 3 times with 4 divisions! This is more in line with the NHL(4 or 5). But more importantly, I believe it will lead to rivalries. I'm talking about friendly trash talk like the kind Phoenix GM dishes out. I'm talking about looking forward to playing a team that maybe beat you the week before, or 2 weeks ago...and wanting some revenge. I'm talking about really caring about facing a team in your Division because going 0-4 or 4-0 against that team can be the difference between making the DOFHL Playoffs or not!
It should foster more communication between GMs and more fun!

3. PLAYOFFS
A. BYE - Current format has us give a BYE to top 3 seeds in East and top 3 seeds in West (6 teams). That is extreme. Does a #3 seed really deserve a BYE?
As Phoenix GM pointed out to me, we need to have teams actually earn their keep and have to play in the playoffs to move on!
With NEW format, only 4 teams, the division winners, will get a BYE in round 1.

B. WILD CARD - Current format can allow for situations where the #6 or #7 seed in West ends up with more points than #5 seed in East but wont make playoffs, a concern that Philly GM expressed.
With NEW format we will have 4 wild cards who will get into Playoffs based on their point totals only in order to avoid the above mentioned problem.

C. 12 Playoff teams - Currently 10 teams make the playoffs. However, we have a lot of Parity in this league and so I feel that 12 teams will be more representative of what our league is about.
For instance, last season we had 5 teams with a 9-12 record, all ranging from 10th place to 14th place. Unfortunately, with our current format, only 1 of those 5 teams made it into playoffs. With NEW format, 3 of those teams will make it in.

I do understand that most of us do not like change. However, I feel that just like the NHL adjusted to improve rivalry play, we also need to make a similar adjustment to improve our own format. At end of the day, the best team usually does win it all as we saw last season with Phoenix. But how we get there can be improved I think..

PLEASE VOTE!

August 25th, 2014, 3:43 am #2

Love the new format based more closely on traditional rivalries! I'm all for this. We should not make a habit however to re-balance or re-jigger divisions and conferences, its unfair to GM's managing their teams for a certain strategy.

And now the Rangers had it because they beat the Vancouver Canucks last night in a spine-tingler of a Game 7 in the finals. When it ended, amid the anxiety and perspiration of a 3-2 victory, fireworks exploded overhead. Tears and champagne flowed. A fan held up a sign that said "Now, I Can Die in Peace."

August 25th, 2014, 4:16 am #3

RangersGM wrote:Love the new format based more closely on traditional rivalries! I'm all for this. We should not make a habit however to re-balance or re-jigger divisions and conferences, its unfair to GM's managing their teams for a certain strategy.
I agree. I also would not wish to ever change the format again. This new format, if we go with it, should be sufficient

August 25th, 2014, 10:43 am #4

I made a slight adjustment to New format:
5 team divisions - play each team in division 3 times instead of 4 (12 games)...then 10 other teams once. That's the only change.
4 team divisions - Still play each team in division 4 times (12 games)... Then 10 other teams once
This way all teams will only not play 3 or 4 teams at all(its 3 with Current format!). All teams will also get exactly 12 games inside their own division.

August 26th, 2014, 3:23 pm #5

Looks like the Ayes have it, with only one vote outstanding.

The Desert Dogs are on the hunt

August 26th, 2014, 5:37 pm #6

Yep NEW format won!

I updated Divisions on Fantrax

Creating Schedule on fantrax and updating our rules will take me some time. I'll keep all GMs posted...

August 27th, 2014, 1:07 am #7

It already looks pretty cool. Thanx for undertaking this....

August 27th, 2014, 1:08 am #8

Sucks to be Detroit, Edmonton or Vancouver though.

August 27th, 2014, 11:09 am #9

CoyotesGM wrote:Sucks to be Detroit, Edmonton or Vancouver though.
And looks like we have a rivalry already lol!