Yoo Jae Suk Special Part 3 - Yoo Jae Suk's Ten Commandments

lordbordem
God Of Variety
lordbordem
God Of Variety

November 16th, 2014, 8:30 am #1

Here is part 3 of the IZE Magazine Jae Suk special. Just one more article after this one.

Yoo Jae Suk Special Part 1 - The Noblest of All Entertainer http://dddfanclub.com/topic/9200305/1
Yoo Jae Suk Special Part 2 - From Head To Toe, Yoo Jae Suk's 12 Assets http://dddfanclub.com/topic/9200753/1

Written by IZE Lee Ji Hae
Translated by DDD Team
Source:
http://ize.co.kr/articleView.html?no=20 ... 2217282980

He’s one of the greatest stars in Korea. There is practically no one that hates him. However if you had the chance to be in his shoes, would you want to live in his life? There is probably not a lot of people that can easily respond to that question. We don’t even have to start talking about his model behaviour outside the world of TV. His stamina, weirdly, improves as he ages, he ensures that no one is uncomfortable no matter what the situation is and he is funny to boot as well. Knowing all this, it’s fairly easy to assume just how thoroughly he looks after himself in his daily day to day life. What does it mean for Yoo Jae Suk to live like Yoo Jae Suk? Using interviews from Yoo Jae Suk and statements from his close peers, <IZE> Magazine has summarized how he lives his life. You will soon realize that, behind his casual smile, the deep exhaustive efforts he takes to keep himself in top form.

1. Absolutely makes sure you keep your promises
Yoo Jae Suk promised to be the host of actress Yoo Seun Hee’s wedding, who happened to be a colleague from one of his ex-agencies. Then 8 years after making that promise, he really did keep his promise. He also promised junior Comedian, Song Joon Geun, that he would gift him a fridge as a wedding gift and Yoo Jae Suk really did keep that promise. One reporter half jokingly said “Lets have a drink one day,” to which Jae Suk replied “I can’t drink, instead lets have a meal. If you send me a message then I’ll make plans.” Yoo Jae Suk upholds all his promises, even promises that might have been trivial and unimportant for the person asking him.

2. Don't boast to the whole world about what you're doing
In Autumn of 2011, Kim Jae Dong donated the royalties from his books to the “Beautiful Fund” charity. After that happened, one netizen posted a Twitter response to the “Beautiful Fund” Twitter account, stating that “Yoo Jae Suk should learn from this example.” But the “Beautiful Fund” Twitter then responded “Yoo Jae Suk was already a long time donator.” It later transpires that he has been donating to the “Beautiful Fund” for over 10 years. The netizen that was trying to criticize him instead ended up revealing Yoo Jae Suk’s charitable deeds to the whole world. At this point, what Kim Jae Dong said to Yoo Jae Suk on KBS <I’m A Man> comes to mind, “I would hate to write his biography,” which is understandable given how much of his private life would be filled with good stories like this.

3. Be devoted to yourself
“(Yoo Jae Suk) He really only has one hobby and that’s exercising. He also thoroughly controls his diet. He doesn’t even eat Black Bean Noodles. He eats what he wants to eat on <Happy Together 3> and goes without the rest of the time.” This is what Lee Juk had to say on SBS Power FM <Chae Hwa Jung’s Power Time> about Yoo Jae Suk’s life. In his rookie days, Yoo Jae Suk would drink and even act like a drunkard in front of Park Soo Hong. Now he usually just exercises and has quit drinking and smoking, all for the sake of his programs. Thanks to this, he has gone from being one of the weaklings in SBS <Family Outing> along with Yoon Jong Shin to his current form on <Running Man> where he can clash head to head with Kim Jong Kook in a battle of stamina.

4. Always gets things done
Kang Ho Dong had this to say about Yoo Jae Suk, “Maintaining your image for a year or two is easy enough but Yoo Jae Suk isn’t just putting up an image, his actual personality is exactly the same.” After the end of the “3rd Asian Dream Cup,” in which Jae Suk participated in as part of “Running Man,” he helped out with cleaning up afterwards. Chinese magazine, Dangdaigetan, spotted this and wrote “Even with torrential rain, Yoo Jae Suk ran around the field with enthusiasm. After the match, Yoo Jae Suk’s lips were blue from cold but he bowed to the audience till the very end as a show of thanks. Yoo Jae Suk stayed till the end to pick up garbage and towels.” Also in the past during the Germany recording for SBS “X Man,” he was spotted by locals picking up rubbish on his own.

5. Never forget about being modest
Yoo Jae Suk once said on <Happy Together>, “I used to be popular in school for being funny, so I thought I would be a massively popular if I appeared on TV.” “When I got the participation award at the University Gag Contest, I felt horrible and I picked my ears in disappointment.” However after years of obscurity, he became a star and on MBC <Infinity Challenge> he mentioned how he prayed for just one chance to prove himself as a comedian. Normally people grow after suffering, and as they grow they also learn modesty. In a way, modesty is something that all successful people must have but for someone of Yoo Jae Suk’s position to go up on stage at the KBS <Entertainment Awards> and say “I believe that I am enjoying far more success that I deserve given the talents that I have” is something extremely difficult to do.

6. Attack your weaknesses
Yoo Jae Suk having stage/camera fright in the past is already well known. There is the famous video where he forgets his lines during the days when he used to be a reporter on KBS <Entertainment Report>. However people may not know that after that incident, he would memorise his script over 100 times and he would make note of places that he kept getting wrong. Also in an effort to figure out how to stand in front of a camera and make people laugh, he would record various program, pause the video just before the host says something and try to guess what the host would say. Also given his protruding mouth, he would have had a hard time with pronunciation and yet his pronunciation is extremely accurate and fast as well. This shows just how much effort he puts in every day.

7. Being considerate is our strength
One of Yoo Jae Suk’s ex-agency presidents asked him “Why don’t you have any charisma?” Also, unlike other entertainers, he doesn’t have a lot of unique skills, nor does his appearance particularly stand out from the crowd and he doesn’t have any famous catchphrases. During his long days of obscurity,he really didn’t have any special traits that could be of use to variety shows back in those days. However, in place of all this, Yoo Jae Suk instead thought about what he could do with others. Recently on KBS <I’m a Man>, Hong Jin Young talked about how she and a whole bunch of other celebrities could never forget how Yoo Jae Suk helped her during her rookie days. Also he was able to get viewers to pay attention to people like Park Myung Soo and other guests by figuring out what their traits were and building characters around it. He would tell guests “Don’t worry, Don’t be too concerned. It will be alright” Being considerate isn’t just sheer kindness but an important weapon he uses to make the variety show he wants.

8. Always keep studying
Yoo Jae Suk said that he doesn’t always watch tvN <Taxi> when it airs but he would record it and watch it later. This is why he is able to recognise all the idols that appear on his shows and act friendly towards them. On <Happy Together>, when the actors of <A Fine, Windy Day> appeared, he would set the mood by mentioning things such as “There was a scene in the first episode where you fell in the Han river.” Collecting data and learning about things pertaining to the job at hand is of course something obvious. However for a top star that has been in the industry for 20 years, it’s not as obvious and easy as it seems.

9. We're not really working hard at the moment
On KBS <Human Condition> Huh Kyung Hwan was talking about how uncertain his future was to Yoo Jae Suk. He then talked about his own past, saying “However now that I think about it, I had the same concerns because all I was doing was worrying about my future rather than doing what I should have been doing. Even before a recording, all I would do is worry rather than practicing.” He continued by saying, “Don’t worry about it, you just need to work hard. If you think you’re working beyond your limits then that means you’re giving it your all.” If you’re not quite sure what working beyond your limits is then you should read points 1 to 8 again.

10 Don't criticize others about what happens
After being selected as the leader on <Infinity Challenge>, the first thing Yoo Jae Suk did was repent for the controversy they caused with the “Hong Chul, lets get married” special. He apologized as their leader and got flogged. Looking back further, during the “Speed Rowing” special, he would take care of Jung Hyung Don by telling him “Who told you that you’re causing more harm than good,” when Hyung Don was feeling depressed about not being able to help the team more. These days, Reality shows are the trend and talk shows are filled with venom. However Yoo Jae Suk may tease other members but he never criticizes or blames them for anything. He is able to make people laugh without resorting to anger or criticism. If anyone told you that such a variety show exists in modern days, you would be flabbergasted. However Yoo Jae Suk has continued to run such “absurd” variety shows. He has maintained his amazing sincerity and consistency.