Dual 1019 Motor Service

Dual 1019 Motor Service

DaveyW
Site Admin

03 Sep 2017, 09:03 #1

One thing I should have done on acquisition of the Dual 1019 was to strip, clean and re-lube the 50 year old motor, but as it was reasonably quiet and working fine I left it as was

As probably seen from my spinnin' posts, it's had quite a bit of use over the last three months and I had recently noticed some motor noise which was becoming more prominent, especially when warm

Unlike the 1219 motor which developed more of a hum, this was a light mechanical whirring noise

So got up at my usual early hour this Sunday and got to work

The motor with bracing bolts removed and pencil mark in place to aid post rebuild alignment

It came apart easily with a gentle prying apart of the two casing halves

What lay inside was pleasantly surprising

Everything looked like new with only some minor discolouration on the shaft to bearing surfaces - no corrosion, lips or ridges

The lower bearing was quite dry but still with some lube on the shaft - and again very clean

I know many would have advised a full clean out but I elected to just clean the shaft & re-lube the bearing - did not want to risk damaging the pristine stator assembly

The same went for the upper bearing

All reassembled nice and easy

Into 40 mins spinning time - If this was last night I could quite easily have heard the motor noise between tracks from the listening couch by now

Nothing! Just perfect silence

I have to put my ear right next to the platter to hear what is now an extremely faint motor/idler noise

RESULT!

DaveyW
Site Admin

04 Sep 2017, 20:20 #2

A few discs given a spin tonight and all remains good

Finished off the evening with a trusty 45 RPM EP for a final high speed work out

Budgie - If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting

As last track "Lies Of Jim The E Type Lover" faded to silence the motor remained inaudible