Questions on recordings

For uploading Films of you playing the game.

Moderators: izdale, Jon God, La Porta, gruz

Questions on recordings

ChaiN
Guard
ChaiN
Guard

31 May 2012, 18:38 #1

Edit: Originally replied-to post shown below; click this link to go to it in the original thread.
Richard @ May 31 2012, 07:19 PM wrote:
ChaiN @ May 31 2012, 06:02 PM wrote:Err.. You assumed that I had a mac, right? Seems 99% of the people here do!
There was the if there in my original quote. Actually, I had presumed from your earlier posts you were actually a Windows user (along with the not having RtDC when it would be so easy to get on the Mac).
ChaiN @ May 31 2012, 06:02 PM wrote:So basicly I only need to find the game
That shouldn't be much trouble. Note that Soku is an expansion for Hisouten (TH10.3) so you need to download both. If you really can't find them, PM me, and I might be able to help. English translation and patches can be downloaded from here if the version you download is not already up-to-date and translated.
Thanks for the info.

Btw, when you record, are you still allowed to press tab for pause?
Luck is a calculated factor.

Richard
Forum Nut
Richard
Forum Nut

31 May 2012, 20:45 #2

In Dark Castle? I'd personally say no pausing. You can stall in the great hall / ante-room if you like, but pausing inside a level gives you extra time to think.

None of my records AFAIK have any pausing inside levels anyway...

That's my 2p, anyway.

ChaiN
Guard
ChaiN
Guard

31 May 2012, 20:53 #3

Reason of me asking is that I am affraid it's possible with Lion, to record play with the use of Tab for pause, and that the replay won't show those moments.

This is the very issue I have with Mame (119++), as to recording combo videos. Replays don't show the pauses, and aren't anywhere to be found in the 'demo' record.

And just like with DC, one can can place inputs during pause. With Mame more precisely, but with DC you can make things way easier too, I didn't look further than when I noticed how one can throw rocks frame perfectly. One only needs to know which # of the same frame aims where.

Richard
Forum Nut
Richard
Forum Nut

31 May 2012, 21:04 #4

Okay; in short; I did not cheat in any of my recordings.

I did not pause. With Lion screen recording, if you pause, it is just capturing a movie, it is not a replay like e.g. Touhou or RtDC replays which don't show pauses. It is me playing live; so any pausing I did would show as stopped-time.

DC can't record replays; and couldn't play them back anyway because the timings for many events (e.g. when bats wake up, or whether guards decide to about-tern mid march or shoot a quarrel) is random.

So, AFAIK, you cannot cheat in DC.

additional btw; please try not to keep taking topics off-topic; even in the off-topic section

ChaiN
Guard
ChaiN
Guard

01 Jun 2012, 10:59 #5

It isn't really off topic..

The very reason I asked, is because I have issues with recording MK. Even with the randomness that is the CPU, the replays from Mame vs Cpu replays just fine.

I NEVER assumed you cheated.

The foremost reason I ask, is merely because I, don't want to called upon cheating while I don't.

Remember when I said that MKII is like a second DC to me? This holds true on at least 4 levels.
As of yet, I simply refuse to record vs AI plays, and combovideos for MK. As what I go for takes gigantic skill. The person who as of yet is seen like the knowledge/combo skill king simply wouldn't try what I do.
And if I cannot prove that I don't use any form of TAS, it would be a waste. 99% of the people would say I would have cheated by it's mere content.

I can't have that. Not with MK, not with DC. Altough doing nice stuff in DC takes way less effort as to what I want to record for MK.

I could explain in detail how MK has f'ed me up for years around recording combos and GETTING the well deserved credit. In short there have been real Hellish times for me around MK.

If records, and recordbooks are nothing serious to you that's fine. I myself would like to be in the books. Especially with games that are Hardcore to me, and considered very difficult by almost anyone.

Richard
Forum Nut
Richard
Forum Nut

02 Jun 2012, 10:38 #6

ChaiN @ Jun 1 2012, 11:59 AM wrote:It isn't really off topic..
Sorry, I meant off-topic from the original post you put this in, which was the 2d-fighters one. That's not really got anything to do with pausing during recording etc. Since it seemed to be the third or fourth time you'd posted off-topic in a thread, I thought I'd request that you try to post things in an appropriate thread in future.
ChaiN @ Jun 1 2012, 11:59 AM wrote:The very reason I asked, is because I have issues with recording MK. Even with the randomness that is the CPU, the replays from Mame vs Cpu replays just fine.
fair enough
ChaiN @ Jun 1 2012, 11:59 AM wrote:I NEVER assumed you cheated.
Okay, but I wasn't sure (and still am not sure) what you were trying to say here then:
ChaiN @ May 31 2012, 09:53 PM wrote:And just like with DC, one can can place inputs during pause. With Mame more precisely, but with DC you can make things way easier too, I didn't look further than when I noticed how one can throw rocks frame perfectly. One only needs to know which # of the same frame aims where.
Having just looked now, it does appear that Duncan's rock arm/aim can be altered during pause. However given that the arm graphic doesn't update during the pause, I suspect it is of limited use unless you happen to want to go straight up or down.

Regardless, the pausing would show during the recording so I don't think anyone here has ever attempted to use it.
ChaiN @ Jun 1 2012, 11:59 AM wrote:The foremost reason I ask, is merely because I, don't want to called upon cheating while I don't.
I don't think anyone is going to say you are cheating ; since if you did take advantage of that it would be really obvious it's more a case of just whether you employed a particular tactic. e.g. you can `cheat' (glitch) Shield 1 to make it much easier by taking advantage of the duck-up-the-ladder trick. Equally izdale held that my jumping through the stairs in my first TA BK3 take-down was dirty. Whether you want to do it or not is up to you.

Actually, it might be quite an interesting show to stand (say) in the middle of Shield 4 and take out the bats using `stop-time' to aim invisibly and then throw and stop again. If you hit them all first go like that it would look pretty cool.

ChaiN @ Jun 1 2012, 11:59 AM wrote:[...]I could explain in detail how MK has f'ed me up for years around recording combos and GETTING the well deserved credit. In short there have been real Hellish times for me around MK.
Hardly sounds worth it; IMHO.

ChaiN @ Jun 1 2012, 11:59 AM wrote:If records, and recordbooks are nothing serious to you that's fine. I myself would like to be in the books. Especially with games that are Hardcore to me, and considered very difficult by almost anyone.
Which is fair enough. Although I don't really consider DC to be hard-core; hence having to do `stupid' challenges to make it harder. It all stemmed form my first joining and daring to say the game was easy on the board... And then everyone said "orly?!" and I posted videos to prove it. Then they said "okay, try x,y,z then" so I did. But I'm bored of that now; and equally I think everyone else got bored of asking me to do these things . :)

Which is also partly why I don't get why you actually care; since nobody is asking for those things any more. But that's up to you; and you clearly feel you have something to prove, which is good.

ChaiN
Guard
ChaiN
Guard

18 Nov 2014, 17:10 #7

Tak. Weird I never replied to that last post..

I said that merely to give examples of how one (in particular me, and I meant me when I typed it down..), can cheat while making the recording.

I either just come across them or search for these things, simply to exclude the possibility that I use them. Again, I never assumed you cheated; you thinking the game can't be "that" hard without creating the challenge yourself, while I think it can be (speedrun), would already dismiss that thought to be there...

Basicaly the rules on speeddemosarchive will dictate the rules for what one or cannot use or do ingame.
That won't take away that I would want a few personal ruled runs too; ie walking all stairs etc. But the unofficial runs has almost no meaning to me compared to the official runs. Which basicly be glitched and unglitched, according to the site. And things are probably up for discussion byforehand there.

As for MK, I am not sure what part you mean to be hardly worth it.. :'(

Foremost reason why I am still not able to record, is that for the runs I need run the game from the original hardware. I have the BW mac for about 2,5 years now, only missing disk software. But the biggest problem is still to record directly from the BW Mac..