My ceramic Dark Castle...

A forum to share Dark Castle Related fan creations, be they Lego made structures, 12+ page long stories, fanart, or whatever else you have cooked up, it goes in here.

Moderators: izdale, Jon God, La Porta, gruz

My ceramic Dark Castle...

stathmk
Prisoner
stathmk
Prisoner

19 Sep 2014, 19:27 #1

Trouble 4 of Dark Castle has Monty Python-style graffiti with "Alaric was here," "Huns rule," and "Vandals sack."

I have shaped the clay for the castle and it had the first firing, which is without the glaze. It's 10.5 inches by 8 inches (I think) by 7 inches tall (I think). I'm going to also do other ceramics this year and next. Next year, I'll photograph the castle when it's finished with the characters and glaze. It may have on the inside, "Alaric was here," "Huns rule," and "Vandals sack."

Check back next year.

La Porta
Dark Castle Itself!
La Porta
Dark Castle Itself!

21 Sep 2014, 14:42 #2

Wow, that's pretty nuts! I'll be excited to see how it comes out.

stathmk
Prisoner
stathmk
Prisoner

02 Jul 2015, 22:27 #3

OK. The ceramics sessions are now few and far between. I might have to take a break from Ceramics to work on the house that I’ll move into. The original Dark Castle that I shaped with a base that’s about a foot long will be detailed, but I don’t know when it will be finished. I’m about a third of the way finished glazing. I also have a large ceramic pumpkin, that I didn’t shape myself, that has Dracula’s castle, a bat, a moon, and no vampires on it. I might paint outdoor scenes from Dark Castle games on it. This may take months of free time to do all of this as well as the ceramics that I haven’t mentioned.

I really have no idea how much longer the Dark Castle forum will last because not very many have posted since January 1. If any of you are interested in later seeing photos of the ceramic Dark Castle and the oversized ceramic pumpkin that will have Dark Castle scenes glazed on it, then send me a message with your name and email. My name is Matt, by the ways. I’ll send you photos of them this year or next if the Dark Castle forum goes down.

La Porta
Dark Castle Itself!
La Porta
Dark Castle Itself!

17 Jul 2015, 02:41 #4

We're still here, Matt. Keep us updated when you can!

stathmk
Prisoner
stathmk
Prisoner

24 Jan 2016, 02:20 #5

I'm finished with the glazing stage. The Ceramics teacher will fire the castle as early as January 30. I'll pick it up at the next meeting after that. Then I'll link to photos of it. Thank you for being patient.

stathmk
Prisoner
stathmk
Prisoner

21 Dec 2016, 20:31 #6

Let’s talk about my ceramics that have a Dark Castle, King Arthur, Merlin, or other medieval theme.

Here’s the unfired photo of the castle in 2014 & this photo includes the unfired treasure chest & lid.

I liked the 1998 miniseries Merlin at Internet Movie Database & I had a little bit of a Merlin theme. So I took a Ceramics class in 1998, & was allowed to take the extra clay home over the summer of 1998. That’s when I shaped the castle, but I didn’t glaze it then because I was so busy with my senior year & then college. Here’s just the castle from the front where I cut a drawbridge hole, a window hole, & 2 holes like Arthurian crosses. There’s also a streaming cyan flag. In the Excalibur movie & in The Death of Arthur book, women sail a ship to pick up the body of Arthur. So I decided that here that I would have a ship, & Merlin at a table with a book like the table in Fireball 4. First look at somebody’s British coat of arms & Welsh coat of arms to know where I’ve gotten the idea with lions for this coat of arms here on the front right. The same photo at that angle has an Irish harp, & I looked at these photos of this goose here & these before I painted the goose. For here, I decided to paint the Dark Castle rat brown from this rat photo. Here, I painted a French lilly of the Valley between angels with gold wings. I have glazed an Excalibur in the stone with birds. I have a weapon hanging on the wall next to Excalibur that prince Duncan can use. There’s a stained glass window based on this photo, while in the ceramics picture there’s a horse, bird, & Dark Castle shield. This corner has a joker. I decided to have a griffin with what I pretend are 2 Dark Castle shields. Here’s another angle of Merlin with the book stand. Looking straight down, I decided not to draw in the chess pieces. I looked at butterflies here, here, & here to make this butterfly. I made a stain-glass window for the other side. An angle with an entrance to Fireball 4. ***Drumroll.*** Here’s Fireball 4! Here’s Fireball 4 from a different angle. The inside with a shield with a Phoenix & flames. When this was shaped with a spider in 1998, I had no idea that Return to Dark Castle would have spiders & here’s another angle. If you liked the wall with Fireball 4, then I looked at Color Dark Castle & this was the other screenshot that I based it on.

Here’s my other medieval themed ceramics. It includes a drawbridge that fits in & comes out.

Different angles of the Holy Grail from King Arthur: IMG_2622.JPG, IMG_2623.JPG, IMG_2624.JPG, & the bottom is at IMG_2625.JPG.

Different angles of my Arthurian throne or Dark Castle’s Black Knight’s throne: IMG_2626.JPG, IMG_2627.JPG, IMG_2628.JPG, IMG_2629.JPG (With my last name initial in cursive), & the bottom at IMG_2630.JPG.

Different angles of my medieval treasure chest: IMG_2631.JPG, IMG_2632.JPG, IMG_2633.JPG, IMG_2634.JPG, IMG_2635.JPG, & the bottom at IMG_2636.JPG.

I shaped these in 1998, but I glazed most of these medieval themed ceramics in the last 2 years. I actually recently put cyan acrylic on the holy grail after the glaze firing because the coloring wasn’t consistent.

I will finish my ceramic pumpkin with Return to Dark Castle themes with acrylic, not glaze, during next year. I also have other ceramics with nothing to do with Dark Castle that I’m working on.

Have a Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Boxing Day, and/or Kwanzaa!

La Porta, can you please briefly respond that you’ve read this?

Richard
Forum Nut
Richard
Forum Nut

24 Sep 2017, 09:23 #7

I'm pretty impressed - you should take some photos from a little further back and with a coin or something on the mat to try and get an idea of scale - it's very hard to tell in a lot of the pictures.

stathmk
Prisoner
stathmk
Prisoner

24 Sep 2017, 17:09 #8

Richard @ Sep 24 2017, 01:23 AM wrote:I'm pretty impressed - you should take some photos from a little further back and with a coin or something on the mat to try and get an idea of scale - it's very hard to tell in a lot of the pictures.
Hi, Richard. I'm still working on my ceramic Dark Castle pumpkin. I bought it from Ebay when it was listed as a pumpkin with Dracula's Castle images into it. It's very oversized and so I'll paint acrylic of Dark Castle scenes around it. I'll remember to do what you said by photographing it with a ruler or a coin next to it.

On the topic of pumpkins, I'm about to start a thread about if anybody can take a screenshot of the Dark Castle Halloween Easter egg and upload it. ( EDIT: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Dark_Castle_ ... topic=1953 )