JCink VS. Zetaboards

4:15 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #1

Should we switch?

Total votes: 7
6(86%)
1(14%)
0(0%)

So lately I've been debating on making the switch to JCINK, another forum host that is very similar to zetaboards, but I feel is superior in most if not all aspects.

Here is an example of a jcink forum I've been working on: http://kirishiki.jcink.net/index.php

So the upside of Jcink is:

1. A lot more people use it, therefore there more resources for it. Trust me, I've seen them.

2. More built in features! I'm actually really excited about this because they have things like built in rewards/awards systems, shop (I dunno if we'd really need that, but hey it's KIND of cool), and other customization options.

3. Sub-accounts! This is kind of cool because most of us have a lot of characters and it'd be kind of nice to have an account for each of them, if you guys guys want. It's super easy to link up your accounts and switch too, only the click of a button.

4. MOBILE APP. This is kind of huge, especially for members like MissU, who brought up a great concern about this some time ago when she lost access to a PC. I'd love a mobile app because hey, who wouldn't wanna visit the forum when they're on their smartphone?!

5. DOHTML. The ability to make things really fancy is always very nice~

6. Database access and backup. JCink has a very, very sweet option of allowing the administrator to backup the forum's database. This ensures that if anything major happens, I can preform a database restore to repair any damage done.

7. JCink's Premium service is a lot more freeing than ZB's is. This would allow us to safely increase the board rating to a 3-3-3 on the RPG Rating scale. This means ALL levels of written violence, language, and sexual content would be allowed without any penalty from the host. Basically, it means we can't get in trouble with Jcink or Google or anything else for any content written here. When with the paid version of ZB, you don't really get that much freedom. This is one of the things that appeals to me the most.

The downside to switching to Jcink is that:

1. We *might not* be able to transfer all of our RP threads over. If most of you are for it, I will open up a support ticket with Brian/Brandon of the ZB team to see if I could access the database for the forum to make the transfer. If allowed to do so, we don't have to worry about anything really, because all of the forums, accounts, and so forth would be present. If not, I will request the forum be reverted back to invisionfree, because JCink can import databases from IF... It just costs money. Of course, access to a ZB database may also cost. ~.~

If not that, then I'll just manually move things over. It's not that big of a deal, but it would take longer to transfer all of the important files in addition to RP threads.

2. We'd lose a lot of old members, but honestly there are only a hand full that matter right now <3. Those who are active here would easily be able to make the switch I believe.

Yeah, I'd love input on this matter because I really, really like jcink and its features, and the opportunity that it brings. So far I'm leaning towards it, but need to know what you guys think as it's our forum. But I think making the switch would be somewhat of a fresh start, even though we wouldn't really be losing anything... Just continue, one way or another. I will admit, however, that it's mostly because JCink has a larger fishing market in terms of members. More over, I should note that should we decide to go with the switch, two more things will also happen:

1. I would change the name of the forum. 'The Dark Side of Justice' isn't very attention grabbing, nor does it scream 'original fantasy'. While I love DSoJ, it was an old concept that stuck around and, in my opinion, does not seem fitting for the forum as a whole.

2. The switch would not take place until next year, to give me time to move everything over and get everything set up, as well as not being so rushed as to neglect posting. Believe me, this will be a long progress.

I plant the seed to make them struggle harder
I reap their tears, bring harvest from their misery
Repent, repeat; the force of life is scattered
Indeed, I try to cleanse it to infinity!
Feel your soul depart, now your flesh is my own art

MY CURRENT RP'S:
For Queen and Country

OTHER USEFUL THINGS:
Character Archive | Completed Threads | Zema's Emporium

4:22 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #2

I'm a member on a couple of jcink boards and they function pretty well. They tend to use cbox anyway, though you may have to tinker with the sound function (some sites have it, some don't).

As for resources, Back to Neverland is amaaaazing, but it's mostly dothtml because it's more fore jcink than anything else.

I'd be happy with the switch, and if anything is going to be lost, just lemme know and I'll try and get it backed up.

Uniqueness is our nature
Emotions are our humanity
Creativity defines us
And love keeps us together

4:29 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #3

I'm voting no, for main reason of potential of losing RPs and threads being very disturbing to me. Also, don't know if PMs would transfer over, and I use my PMs to store a lot of information and pictures and resources. If they don't transfer, I would lose... a lot of things.

Also... I don't know if that's standard for a jcink layout, but I really don't like how that page looks and feels. It's a bit ugly to me.

Honestly, if you wanted to switch, couldn't you just make it a new board and play with it, and thus if we really like it we can just use this board as an archive? Seems like less work then switching over and hoping everything works out.

4:42 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #4

H'tes wrote:I'm voting no, for main reason of potential of losing RPs and threads being very disturbing to me. Also, don't know if PMs would transfer over, and I use my PMs to store a lot of information and pictures and resources. If they don't transfer, I would lose... a lot of things.

Also... I don't know if that's standard for a jcink layout, but I really don't like how that page looks and feels. It's a bit ugly to me.

Honestly, if you wanted to switch, couldn't you just make it a new board and play with it, and thus if we really like it we can just use this board as an archive? Seems like less work then switching over and hoping everything works out.
Obviously nothing would happen to this forum here. It would simply remain as an older archive that only existing members could access. And it's also not that those threads would be lost, per say, just that they may not transfer over. I say this because if I don't have access to the database, I'd have to manually transfer all of the threads we have. We happen to have quite a bunch, thus I would ask for help in reposting it. The only problem with manual transfer is that you won't have your PMs on the new forum, but they'll remain here.

Lol, it's not a standard, that's the flexibility of the skin. Here's another example. JCink is easy to skin and it's very flexible. I could find someone to make a custom skin for us on JCink in the blink of an eye. Can't do that for Zetaboards, as you all remember. I had to dig and do it myself for the most part.

Aye, I could. I've considered it. I just want... All of the 6 years worth of things we have here to come, too. x3 Well, most of it really... To be honest, there's a bunch of clutter that we could do without, and I/we could just move over things that matter.

MY CURRENT RP'S:
For Queen and Country

OTHER USEFUL THINGS:

4:48 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #5

Well, if this sight would remain, I see no reason why not to experiment a bit with this jcink stuff. I can help in reposting stuff over if need be. Long as stuff doesn't just vanish, and I can come back to look here, I'm fine with that... And we can clean up our stuff a bit... @.@ So, you ready to begin the process of deciding what goes over and what doesn't?

4:58 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #6

H'tes wrote:Well, if this sight would remain, I see no reason why not to experiment a bit with this jcink stuff. I can help in reposting stuff over if need be. Long as stuff doesn't just vanish, and I can come back to look here, I'm fine with that... And we can clean up our stuff a bit... @.@ So, you ready to begin the process of deciding what goes over and what doesn't?
I have a really good idea about what needs to be moved over and what doesn't. Key things will be all of the site's official documentation, like guidebook stuff, all races, though playable races will have a different layout (something like this maybe, I've been playing around with it; they'd be color coded for category, such as gold for 'lightbringers'. So it'd look like ANGELS across the top, and at the bottom, would say SENTIENT | LIGHTBRINGER... or something) than they do here, all important/relevant RP threads, and character profiles. Everything else can be transferred slowly if we decide that we want it.

The DSoJ won't go anywhere. Even if we move, it will be opened to us as an archive. I've said that I would never take this forum down in the past and I meant it.

MY CURRENT RP'S:
For Queen and Country

OTHER USEFUL THINGS:

5:02 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #7

... Might look better in a more DSOJ style. The link, I mean. The photos sort of throw me off @.@

5:06 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #8

H'tes wrote:... Might look better in a more DSOJ style. The link, I mean. The photos sort of throw me off @.@
A more DSoJ style? x3 I'm not 100% sure of what you mean by that. Elaborate?
Last edited by Zema on 5:06 AM - Sep 25, 2014, edited 1 time in total.

MY CURRENT RP'S:
For Queen and Country

OTHER USEFUL THINGS:

5:07 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #9

Yes. Like... anime-ish pictures, and not against a white background.

5:12 AM - Sep 25, 2014 #10

H'tes wrote:Yes. Like... anime-ish pictures, and not against a white background.
Oh. Well, yeah. x3 As I said, it was just an example of what to expect. I can start working on an actual preview, but first... The name change.

As I said, I don't think that "The Dark Side of Justice" fits our topic. The DSoJ is a Lore thing. Not so much an Alusterian thing. So what would be a more fitting name for the forum as a whole?

MY CURRENT RP'S:
For Queen and Country

OTHER USEFUL THINGS: