Vegan Question

Vegan Question

April 9th, 2012, 1:57 pm #1

Any vegans here have a recommendation for veggie dogs? My mom totally gave up meat/chicken... Wants to try new stuff and stuff..

April 9th, 2012, 2:25 pm #2

I generally stay away from the veggie dogs because they have a squeaky texture. Boiling them or cutting them up in beanie-weinies is edible, but the microwave or grill turns them into rubberized ass. The sausages are better. I do occasionally go for the Morningstar Farms veggie corn dogs.

A Citizen
A Citizen

April 9th, 2012, 2:33 pm #3

They all taste a little like vulcanized rubber.

(was Vegan for five years)

April 9th, 2012, 2:35 pm #4

When you say Vulcanized Rubber, do you mean like with Spock gives you a 'bad touch' and that squiggy feeling you get in the pit of your tummy? Well, that's at least how Shatner described it.

There are just some things one should not google, but I digress.

April 9th, 2012, 2:36 pm #5

Any vegans here have a recommendation for veggie dogs? My mom totally gave up meat/chicken... Wants to try new stuff and stuff..
I would stay away from them. It would likely be enough to turn her back to meat. I don't even think chicken dogs taste "right."

espell
Last edited by jeannien on April 9th, 2012, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonoBoBo
AnonoBoBo

April 9th, 2012, 2:47 pm #6

Why not grill some portabellas (a little liquid smoke wouldn't hurt, for meatiness), slice, put in hot dog bun with accoutrements? I bet it tastes about 1000% better than any veggie dog.

A Citizen
A Citizen

April 9th, 2012, 2:53 pm #7

Vulcanized Rubber-is a chemical process for converting rubber or related polymers into more durable materials via the addition of sulfur or other equivalent "curatives." These additives modify the polymer by forming crosslinks (bridges) between individual polymer chains.[1] Vulcanized material is less sticky and has superior mechanical properties.

A vast array of products are made with vulcanized rubber including tires, shoe soles, hoses, and hockey pucks.

AnonoBoBo
AnonoBoBo

April 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm #8

Why not grill some portabellas (a little liquid smoke wouldn't hurt, for meatiness), slice, put in hot dog bun with accoutrements? I bet it tastes about 1000% better than any veggie dog.
Viana makes a veggie bratwurst that's supposed to be pretty good. It's a German company, so they should know sausage. May be available at Whole Foods, according to web site.

http://www.viana.com/index.php?id=81&pr ... &backId=31

I have never tried these, but it's the only brand that had positive feedback, anywhere.

Appalled
Appalled

April 9th, 2012, 2:57 pm #9

I don't understand this about vegans et al... If you don't like/want meat, why would you want meat flavored non meat? Serious question.

April 9th, 2012, 2:59 pm #10

Vulcanized Rubber-is a chemical process for converting rubber or related polymers into more durable materials via the addition of sulfur or other equivalent "curatives." These additives modify the polymer by forming crosslinks (bridges) between individual polymer chains.[1] Vulcanized material is less sticky and has superior mechanical properties.

A vast array of products are made with vulcanized rubber including tires, shoe soles, hoses, and hockey pucks.
Thank you, A Citizen. I had no idea what that was. You are a vessel of useful information today!

There are just some things one should not google, but I digress.