TV Watching Habits?

TV Watching Habits?

smirk
smirk

January 22nd, 2012, 5:51 pm #1

It occurred to me, lots of tv and movie watchers here. Do you tend to watch stuff by yourself or with other people, your spouse, children, friends?

The reason I ask is that pretty much our entire household is solo watchers. My son is into his Anime', my daughter likes her MTVish shit, my wife gets addicted to entire seasons of stuff ranging from Tudors to Say Yes to the Dress - and I just don't have time or inclination to devote myself to hours and hours.

I prefer really whatever stuff. Old crappy 80's movies, The Love Boat. Lots of stuff that I don't feel an obligation to finish becuase I'm either falling asleep or I leave in the middle of it to do something else. But, watching shit alone is so boring. I like to talk through it, make fun of it, use it as background... As a result, I actually don't watch much of anything these days.

January 22nd, 2012, 5:59 pm #2

My roommate Robert and I watch Jeopardy most nights (when I don't have class). Other than that, I usually watch stuff alone. Daily Show, Colbert, Nova, Archer, The League, Parks & Rec, Boardwalk, Thrones...

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

CapsLock
CapsLock

January 22nd, 2012, 6:00 pm #3

It occurred to me, lots of tv and movie watchers here. Do you tend to watch stuff by yourself or with other people, your spouse, children, friends?

The reason I ask is that pretty much our entire household is solo watchers. My son is into his Anime', my daughter likes her MTVish shit, my wife gets addicted to entire seasons of stuff ranging from Tudors to Say Yes to the Dress - and I just don't have time or inclination to devote myself to hours and hours.

I prefer really whatever stuff. Old crappy 80's movies, The Love Boat. Lots of stuff that I don't feel an obligation to finish becuase I'm either falling asleep or I leave in the middle of it to do something else. But, watching shit alone is so boring. I like to talk through it, make fun of it, use it as background... As a result, I actually don't watch much of anything these days.
I'll watch sporting events by myself, but I prefer to watch with the GF or friends or both. I don't watch any TV shows by myself really. If I'm alone and there's no sports worth watching, I'll usually play a video game. Or actually do something around the house and listen to sports talk radio.

With the GF home we watch Jeopardy religiously. And some shows like Walking Dead and Bored to death.(morbid)

We dropped HBO from DirectTV and added hulu plus to the PS3 the other night. Hulu plus is pretty awesome. We'll have to pay per view Bored to death next season I guess. Or sign up for HBO for like a month like we did this year.

The GF does have shows that she watches that I don't. Like Grimm. But she watches them on my poker night. So it works out.

We only have the one TV. Which I guess is like 2 tv's too little compared to most people.

smirk
smirk

January 22nd, 2012, 6:02 pm #4

My roommate Robert and I watch Jeopardy most nights (when I don't have class). Other than that, I usually watch stuff alone. Daily Show, Colbert, Nova, Archer, The League, Parks & Rec, Boardwalk, Thrones...

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.
I actually had the local cable/internet company call me and force me to jack up my bill and bandwidth limits because often the entire family will be streaming Netflix and Hulu to 3 separate devices simultaneously.

It was only $10 a month more, and I don't really feel bad about it because in the last couple years I've cut the actual cable completely out of the bill saving me a minimum of $30 a month, which supposedly the cable company's true bread and butter.

Kathleen
Kathleen

January 22nd, 2012, 6:04 pm #5

What a timely question! Dan has been in California since Wednesday visiting his parents and sister, yet my TV watching habits haven't changed one bit!

My favorite time to watch TV is starting between nine and ten after everyone else has gone to bed. I sit in the same spot on the sofa with a blanket over my legs, my Kindle nearby, and my phone at the ready to text friends who are watching similar stuff or make a Words With Friends move. I stick with movies I've already seen in case I fall asleep or find something better, almost anything on the Investigation Discovery network (think Dateline, 48 Hours Mystery), or a reality show. I watch House Hunters (NOT International), RHofBH, Mob Wives, Intervention, Jesery Shore, and Grey's Anatomy. That's it.

This is not to say we never watch TV together. Dan and I will watch a movie together or House Hunters. The five of us will watch Man vs Food or DVDs of the Brady Bunch. We're almost done Season Two. My kids LOVE these!

CapsLock
CapsLock

January 22nd, 2012, 6:09 pm #6

The GF watches ID like a crackhead smokes crack. I can't take it. I need a shower after about a half hour of that crap.

smirk
smirk

January 22nd, 2012, 6:14 pm #7

I'll admit 48 Hours Mysteries and Dateline murder shit tends to hold my attention when its on.

Often on weekend mornings I'll be browsing the web on the tablet while Mrs. is watching some crap. This morning and yesterday morning it was "My Fair Wedding." Saw two episodes. I actually think the host guy is kinda cool.

Also, I don't know if its been discussed here yet, but my daughter turned my wife on to an MTV show called Hard Times of RJ Berger which has tons of episodes on Netflix. Its really witty, and really funny. Reminds me of Freaks and Geeks a little. Some of you might wanna check it out.

Which is kinda funny, because now the whole family will watch the same show, but we'll watch it separately.

January 22nd, 2012, 7:02 pm #8

I always watch TV alone because the last time I watched it with someone else, they forced me to watch The Biggest Loser.

Also because I live alone, but mostly because of Arwen.
<i>You're comparing apples and exceptionally bad taste</i> -DJ

Appalled
Appalled

January 22nd, 2012, 7:22 pm #9

Besides football, which he watches and I avoid, we never watch tv alone. We only have one tv (hooked up). And unless we want to watch something specific it's never on...like for background noise, that makes me crazy. I hate when youre a guest in someone's home and the tv is just blaring, no one watching it.

January 23rd, 2012, 5:45 am #10

We only have one tv hooked up. At our old place, we had a tv in each of our bedrooms and the one in the livingroom. The giant pretty much monopolized the one in the livingroom watching judge judy, the effing kardashians (i don't know if I spelled that right, and for the first time in my life, I couldn't care less), intervention, hoarders, and jersey shore. The portuguee and I would frequently watch movies (documentaries, mostly) in his room sometimes, but for the most part, with the exception of it's always sunny, the league, and sox-yankee games, we watched tv on our own.

Now that we have the one tv, we pretty much watch tv together all the time. He usually picks the shows because, left to my own devices, I would watch reruns of friends indefinitely while playing around with my phone. his taste is crazy random, as is mine, so we watch a huge variety of shows. We watch a LOT of netflix and we both hate HATE reality shows. if one of us is watching something that doesn't interest the other, the bored one ends up amusing his/her self with a laptop or phone.

We do pretty well with one tv. It's rare that we have a problem. He left me alone when american horror story was on, and I surrender the livingroom when football and hockey are on. When we first moved in, I fully intended to hook up my tv, but I just haven't needed it and I finally threw it out (it was 14 years old and kind of brokenish and taking up way too much room).