Travelling cats

Travelling cats

January 20th, 2004, 4:07 pm #1

Hi pet lovers. I just posted this on the TV message board cuz that's the only one I've ever visited. Anyway, this seems a more appropriate venue. Any tips or help anyone can offer would be MOST appreciated:

Hey all. Long time no chat. Sorry I've been so away, there's much to catch up on but here's the scoop in a li'l ol' shell: I'm gettin the hell outta dodge. Had enough of the frigid Northeast, moving to Arizona at the end of March!

Very excited but concerned about driving with kitty - about 5 days' worth of 12-hour days in the car. He'll go nuts. But I also looked into shipping him there, and I'm hearing too many horror stories. Anybody have any firsthand experience with that? Tips on the driving thing, if I decide to go that route (pun intended)?

My last resort is to drive him up to N.H. and make my softhearted sister adopt him, but then I would miss him and be sad.

January 23rd, 2004, 4:38 pm #2

Your vet would probably be the most knowledgeable in this subject. They probably have all different kinds of methods that I wouldn't even think about. Besides, it might make it easier for the next vet if you have a copy of your cat's records. If your cat stresses easily then you might also want to ask your vet about what mild traquilizers that are available. The only other suggestion I would make would be to make evenly spaced breaks while on the trip. The breaks don't have to be long. Let him get some pats on the head and check his food and water levels. If you have an old shirt that you won't be using anymore, you might want to put it in the bottom of the carrier that you will be using. Your scent will calm him a bit.
Well that is about it. Most of all good luck on your move. Let me know how it goes.

Monique
Monique

February 11th, 2004, 2:30 pm #3

check a pet store or specialty online retailer for things that will calm a cat (try petfooddirect.com). they usually have something you can sprinkle on their food or put in their water that will naturally calm them down. catnip is a good idea, too. while most cats get nuts with catnip at first, it makes them sleepy after a bit. it's a treat for them, too. also, build kitty up to it- take him/her on short trips, first, see how kitty responds to that.

make sure you have a sort of large kitty carrier and get some blankets or something that has kitty's smell on it so they'll be around familiar things in the carrier. the pet store should have these pads for training puppies- it's like a diaper only it's a flat sheet- you can put that in the carrier in case kitty has an accident, then it'll be really easy and hassle-free to clean up.

see if you can't get kitty into a harness that you can clip a lead onto so that if you do decide to travel with him/her you can take him/her out for a stretch at rest stops. hope this helps you!

Kini
Kini

February 11th, 2004, 4:46 pm #4

Hi pet lovers. I just posted this on the TV message board cuz that's the only one I've ever visited. Anyway, this seems a more appropriate venue. Any tips or help anyone can offer would be MOST appreciated:

Hey all. Long time no chat. Sorry I've been so away, there's much to catch up on but here's the scoop in a li'l ol' shell: I'm gettin the hell outta dodge. Had enough of the frigid Northeast, moving to Arizona at the end of March!

Very excited but concerned about driving with kitty - about 5 days' worth of 12-hour days in the car. He'll go nuts. But I also looked into shipping him there, and I'm hearing too many horror stories. Anybody have any firsthand experience with that? Tips on the driving thing, if I decide to go that route (pun intended)?

My last resort is to drive him up to N.H. and make my softhearted sister adopt him, but then I would miss him and be sad.
Get tranquilizers from your Vet for kittyboo. I moved from Minnesota to Texas with THREE cats and got kitty valium for all of them (3 days driving). It sure helped make my traveling days a whole lot better and I think the kits were okay with it too.

jessessa
jessessa

February 12th, 2004, 12:10 am #5

Fear not. My husband and I drove from Chicago to Idaho over a weeks time with our 2 cats in the car with us. I have one male and one female, at the time they were both around 7. They both meow-ed their heads off as we left Chicago - it was horrible, I felt like I was wrenching them away from the only life they'd ever known. But then I realized that I was the only life they'd ever known and that I was with them and they'd been fine every time I'd moved within the city, so best not to feel too bad and just keep driving.
The boy cat started roaming a little in the car - he liked to look out the windows and talk to the scenery. The girl cat hates to leave the house, period. But she settled into the backseat (in a tray that I had rigged up with icepacks underneath it - it was summer and I was worried about them getting to hot) and curled up in a ball and didn't move much until the car stopped. We got a book that purported to be full of Motels that accepted animals. It didn't help much. We snuck them in to most places. Getting the girl cat to come out from under the bed every morning was hard too. But she survived.
Your cat will be fine and probably actually enjoy the ride. One of my favorite memories of the trip (although at the time it made me nervous) was walking away from the parked car (after we had found the perfect shady spot) with all the windows cracked and looking back and seeing their little faces watching us as we walked off to have lunch in Wall, South Dakota. They were totally relaxed when we got back. No worries. Never forget that cats are incredibly adaptable. Good luck and have fun on the road with your feline friend!