Tkd results

Tkd results

$8
$8

April 15th, 2012, 2:00 am #1

So, I competed at a tournament today. I lost in the first round to a guy who eventually finished in second place. He nearly took first place and I nearly beat him. This was my second tournament and my opponents have at least a year more experience than me. I'm not a big "moral victory" guy. But I feel like I performed closer to my ability. And I did manage to kick him right off his feet and right out of the ring. That memory of blasting him into the air is a keeper.

Next tournament I'm going to bring the heat!!

Arwen
Arwen

April 15th, 2012, 2:06 am #2

Congrats! Proud of you

April 15th, 2012, 2:36 am #3

So, I competed at a tournament today. I lost in the first round to a guy who eventually finished in second place. He nearly took first place and I nearly beat him. This was my second tournament and my opponents have at least a year more experience than me. I'm not a big "moral victory" guy. But I feel like I performed closer to my ability. And I did manage to kick him right off his feet and right out of the ring. That memory of blasting him into the air is a keeper.

GREAT for you man!

Lea
Lea

April 15th, 2012, 3:48 am #4

Awesome! Good for you! Glad you have something that you like.

It has taken me a long time to find activities that keep me interested long enough to make progress.

I played tennis today and served up an ace to a girl that was being a bitch all day. I took a small delight in that she couldnt hit it back to me and the ball nailed her in the leg (totally unintended for that part). She complained about how her leg stung. When I apologized two people at once said, "Dont apologize for that. That was awesome!" and it was.

April 16th, 2012, 2:36 pm #5

Must have been a heck on an adrenaline rush. Congratulations.

April 16th, 2012, 4:28 pm #6

If you can do that on a bad hip, think what you will accomplish when you are bionic!

Congrats $8! Moral victories are still victories.

April 16th, 2012, 8:03 pm #7

$8, curious, does your class teach you any history of the martial art?

"Ta Friggin da"

April 16th, 2012, 8:37 pm #8

They do. I wouldn't say a lot though. We're expected to educate ourselves a bit as well. Tkd doesn't have as rich history as Kung fu or karate and it's not nearly as philosophical.

Since I practice with the ATA which uses a style which isn't very old, we tend to get the recent history more often.

The Songahm style, meaning Pine Tree and Rock, is a synthesis of tkd and karate styles. They add to it all the time. So it definitely has a strong western sensibility.

The opinions expressed above are the sole opinions of the author and do not reflect actual human thought. Any resemblance to intelligent opinions is purely coincidental.

April 17th, 2012, 3:33 am #9

Congrats on what sounds like a very good performance $8. I miss TKD. My daughter did TKD from age 5-18 and was a national competitor between 13-18. Even went over to Russia to compete 2 years ago. Wow, crazy that it was actually 1yr 51weeks ago exactly that she went to Russia. She had a blast as you can see from her team's FB pagehttps://www.facebook.com/pages/7th-Olym ... 0256260396

After so many years though of high level competition training, the toll on her hips forced her into early retirement before she could reach her goal of the Olympics. She absolutely loved every moment of it though. ATA is much different than her style of Kukkiwon / WTF Taekwondo.

Here are some highlights from her last competition. Warning, accompanying music is likely NSFW -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WwFK0504dg&hd=1

Good luck in your future competitions and I am sure we would all love to see some pics and vids!!! I know I would.

$8.00
$8.00

April 17th, 2012, 4:20 am #10

I sure enjoy watching WTF style tkd. As tkd is predominantly a kicking art, WTF style really distills to its roots.
I'll be a spectator at a wtf style tourney next weekend. As I'm already old and my hips are shot, I couldn't compete in that style. So, the ATA style which stops the action on each point and allows punches is better suited to my physical ability.
There were some badass axe kicks in that video, as well as a brutal reverse side kick.

My preferred kicks are a simple round kick, front/round combo kick, jump reverse sidekick, and a butterfly round kick (left leg only). Every one of those kicks make make hip bones shriek with pain, but I throw them anyway.

Oh and i found out today that my right hip won't need replaced. I'm on the schedule for arthroscopic surgeries in October and December.