Tie thread

Tie thread

May 3rd, 2012, 6:14 pm #1

So I took a job with a regional bank. I'm gonna be doing web and networking stuff. I like the freelance lifestyle, but the health insurance was killing me and I kind of enjoy knowing that I'll have money to pay rent at the end of the month.

Because it's a bank, I'm required to wear a tie to work. I think I'm gonna like most stuff about the job, except the tie thing. I'll probably get used to it and not even notice I'm wearing a tie after a couple of weeks. But for now it's kinda bugging me. I tend to sweat a lot and ties compound the problem. In the past, the two things I've done to mitigate the overheating problem is to buy shirts with 17+ inch collars, and never actually buttoning the top button. Those things help, but they only go so far.

Any advice from tie wearers, who also don't like wearing ties?

Also, what's the deal with tie fashion? It seems like it's all over the place. Some guys have skinny ties, some wide and others in-between. I haven't bought a tie in over 5 years. And some of the ones I own are from the 80's. Between my relaxed jeans and my Reagan era ties, I'm barely allowed to go outside anymore.

May 3rd, 2012, 6:19 pm #2

I had the Safety Dance song playing in my head while thinking about my 80's ties.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="420" height="315"></embed></object>

May 3rd, 2012, 8:08 pm #3

Esquire told me that silk is in for 2012. That might work in your favor as it is light weight.

May 3rd, 2012, 8:14 pm #4

So I took a job with a regional bank. I'm gonna be doing web and networking stuff. I like the freelance lifestyle, but the health insurance was killing me and I kind of enjoy knowing that I'll have money to pay rent at the end of the month.

Because it's a bank, I'm required to wear a tie to work. I think I'm gonna like most stuff about the job, except the tie thing. I'll probably get used to it and not even notice I'm wearing a tie after a couple of weeks. But for now it's kinda bugging me. I tend to sweat a lot and ties compound the problem. In the past, the two things I've done to mitigate the overheating problem is to buy shirts with 17+ inch collars, and never actually buttoning the top button. Those things help, but they only go so far.

Also, what's the deal with tie fashion? It seems like it's all over the place. Some guys have skinny ties, some wide and others in-between. I haven't bought a tie in over 5 years. And some of the ones I own are from the 80's. Between my relaxed jeans and my Reagan era ties, I'm barely allowed to go outside anymore.

Ties are really a stupid fashion thing, aren't they? They're expensive, hard to care for, and serve no real use. I guess worn correctly they look nice.

Someone suggested today's man, I say you go there and buy ties and shirts, ask the sales man for help.

May 3rd, 2012, 10:14 pm #5

I don't think we have "Today's Man" out here. But I definitely need a man of today to help out this man of yesterday.

And yeah, silk might help, but isn't silk a good insulator? Also, I'm a cheapskate. Silk sounds expensive? Someone just needs to make an air conditioned shirt. That would be the answer for me.

May 3rd, 2012, 10:18 pm #6

May 3rd, 2012, 10:36 pm #7

Columbia Sportswear makes air conditioned shirts. They are little lightweight, so not as durable, but they are wonderful for summers around here.

Perhaps you might not be able to finagle them in your dresscode.

May 3rd, 2012, 11:55 pm #8

When I had to wear ties, I never buttoned the top button of my shirt.
I also wore the tie loosely. Of course, I didn't work at a stuffy bank and didn't have to deal with the public, so noone really cared.

I suggest you wear the most hideous ties you can find.
Other than that, I can provide no advice.
It has been about 20 years since I had to wear a tie for work.

May 4th, 2012, 12:51 am #9

I second that. Find the most ugly ass ties.

May 4th, 2012, 1:45 am #10

Are there any good thrift stores in your area? I picture you being surrounded by fashionable gentlemen who wear an expensive tie once or twice before discarding it for something more seasonal.
So obviously, I've never worn a tie except for some regrettable 80's fashions that involved the menswear look with skinny leather ties... don't do that. Do you have to wear a light-colored shirt? A darker and/or bolder colored shirt with a tie that blends in can be sharp-looking. With a light shirt, the tie and any food stains are the focal point. Going with a medium blue or green shirt and a blue/green/black tie is more forgiving.