Three out of five wreaths (HUNGER GAMES SPOILERS)

Three out of five wreaths (HUNGER GAMES SPOILERS)

Appalled
Appalled

March 27th, 2012, 7:42 pm #1

Wow! Really?? Why?

I thought it was pretty great!

*** I managed not to look - but thought this should be called out for what it is. I hope you don't mind the edit Appy. ***
Last edited by SquiddyBoy on March 28th, 2012, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonoAnnoy
AnonoAnnoy

March 27th, 2012, 8:32 pm #2

Let me start off with what I liked. Jennifer Lawrence. I saw her in Winter's Bone after she was nominated for the Oscar because I was curious who this no-name beauty was. After seeing the movie I think she is the perfect fit for Katniss (although when they were casting for Katniss I wanted Kayla Scodelario). From the trailers and clips I've seen before the movie I thought I was going to watching her Winter's Bone character all over again but I was wrong.
I thought the director nailed the emotional element. In almost every Prim scene or the mention of her I cried.
I liked the trippy tracker jacker scene.
From the little scenes Clove was in, she scared me. Good on her. I hope to see more of her in other films.

I thought the film lagged a little bit. There were a few scenes I felt were stagnant and could have been cut down a little to add some components I felt were sort of vital. I didn't care about how the mockingjay pin was obtained but I was bummed about the absence of the Avox or even the story. Yeah, The Hunger Games are evil but I felt the non-readers should have known it didnt stop there. There were other ways of physically punishing someone as well.
As much as I love Sutherland, I didnt get a creepy vibe from him at all.
I remember having to explain to B that the children from The Capital were exempt from the games. I dont know if the movie touched base on that or not. If it did, I must have blinked and missed it. Little things like that.
Finally, the nightlock scene at the end. That was the biggest disappointment. K & P were supposed to gobble them up and spit them out. In the book when they popped them in their mouths I gasped. In the film they just held them (yawn).

I didnt think it was as good as its hyped up to be. I will go see Catching Fire when it's in theaters. I dont know about that mess Mockingjay, though.

One question and maybe someone can give me an answer- Why was the violence watered down in the film? Any 10 year old can get their hands on the book but they can't get into the movie which was much less violence? Is it because films have the actual visuals?

'neady
'neady

March 27th, 2012, 8:34 pm #3

^me. duh.

Anny
Anny

March 27th, 2012, 8:36 pm #4

That is a good write up Neady. You should send it to Todd to post on the movie review site.

March 27th, 2012, 8:39 pm #5

Let me start off with what I liked. Jennifer Lawrence. I saw her in Winter's Bone after she was nominated for the Oscar because I was curious who this no-name beauty was. After seeing the movie I think she is the perfect fit for Katniss (although when they were casting for Katniss I wanted Kayla Scodelario). From the trailers and clips I've seen before the movie I thought I was going to watching her Winter's Bone character all over again but I was wrong.
I thought the director nailed the emotional element. In almost every Prim scene or the mention of her I cried.
From the little scenes Clove was in, she scared me. Good on her. I hope to see more of her in other films.

I thought the film lagged a little bit. There were a few scenes I felt were stagnant and could have been cut down a little to add some components I felt were sort of vital. I didn't care about how the mockingjay pin was obtained but I was bummed about the absence of the Avox or even the story. Yeah, The Hunger Games are evil but I felt the non-readers should have known it didnt stop there. There were other ways of physically punishing someone as well.
I remember having to explain to B that the children from The Capital were exempt from the games. I dont know if the movie touched base on that or not. If it did, I must have blinked and missed it. Little things like that.
Finally, the nightlock scene at the end. That was the biggest disappointment. K & P were supposed to gobble them up and spit them out. In the book when they popped them in their mouths I gasped. In the film they just held them (yawn).

I didnt think it was as good as its hyped up to be. I will go see Catching Fire when it's in theaters. I dont know about that mess Mockingjay, though.

One question and maybe someone can give me an answer- Why was the violence watered down in the film? Any 10 year old can get their hands on the book but they can't get into the movie which was much less violence? Is it because films have the actual visuals?
I think they spent too much time in the "war room" and not enough time showing the actual Games. I hate that they skipped the whole Avox thing and I really hate that they didn't show Katniss getting a loaf of bread from District 11 as a thanks for what she did for Rue. I mean, that was the first time EVER that a District sent something to tribute from another District. And I cried at every Prim scene, and I cried at Rue's death. Like. A. Baby.

Kool is our alpha male. He is our Air Supply and our REO Speedwagon.

'neady
'neady

March 27th, 2012, 8:44 pm #6

Werd, Tr00.
Also, one of the things I think they should have touched based on were the Careers. I had to explain to B that in some districts, there are children that train their whole lives for this to better their chances of survival while D12 never really had that opportunity (or motivation or what have you).

March 27th, 2012, 10:02 pm #7

Wow! Really?? Why?

*** I managed not to look - but thought this should be called out for what it is. I hope you don't mind the edit Appy. ***
I'd give it 3.5 out of 5. The problem with movies made from books for me is that I can't help but compare the movie to the one I saw in my head as I read the book.

The Reaping stuff was perfect. I really did like Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, and Elizabeth Banks was great as Effie. Gale was fine because that character was so one-dimensional in the book I never really formed a mental picture for him. Peeta was too small. I imagined Nick Nolte as Haymitch, but Woody was good too. The tone and pacing for the District 12 segments came off very well.

Then next 2/3 of the movie started to unravel for me though. I thought it was a bad choice to skip the Avoxes. They served to maintain the air of horror and oppression amidst the splendor and opulence of the Capital.

I didn't think I would like their idea of Cinna; I imagined him to be much more gaudy and flamboyant. I ended up liking Lenny Kravitz's subdued portrayal though. The other scenes leading up to the games were okay. I especially enjoyed the entrances and the interviews. I was upset that Katniss' three stylists got almost no time, but not everything can make it into a film.

The games themselves were by far the weakest part of the movie. Other than the opening sequence of the Cornucopia, the film failed to capture the dark and gritty elements of the games. The weather never changes. All of the kids look clean and well-fed throughout the whole incident. Katniss digs Peeta out of the mud and he's clean and his hair is styled in the next scene.

I thought they rushed Rue's death and killed any emotional attachment you could have formed. In the book, Katniss and Rue hang out for days, sharing stories of home, surviving, and bonding. In the movie, I was left wondering why Katniss would be so broken up over the death of a girl she basically just met and was going to eventually have to kill anyway.

My other big gripe was with the final scene. By healing Peeta's leg completely they took away a lot of the sense of urgency in that final confrontation. It was so much more dramatic when he was bleeding to death in the rain (yeah, they took out the rain too. Why?) Without Peeta's life bleeding out by seconds, Katniss' defiance of the Capital and the games doesn't make as much sense in context. In the book she decides to eat the berries because it's the only thing she can think of as Peeta is bleeding out from his leg. Without that, why wouldn't they just each refuse to kill the other and grind the games to a halt until the Gamemasters provoked them further?

They also made a few changes that I liked:

Showing the behind the scenes of the games. I felt like it made things clearer and really stressed how involved the Capital is in the games themselves.

Changing the muttations to just big vicious dogs. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for not trying to film that scene as it was written.

And I loved that they added a little humanity to Cato at the end. It turned him from the cardboard villain that Collins wrote into an actual human and emphasized that, above all else, these were still kids in the games.

All in all, I felt like it was a good movie and a great adaptation of the book.

Even being the absolute epitome of manhood that I am, I got teary-eyed at two parts in the film: When Prim gets chosen and tucks in her shirt as she walks up to podium in shock, and when Peeta says, "I don't think winning the games is going to help me at all," during the interview with Caesar Flickerman. And I even knew that second one was coming.

Not Rue's death scene though, that was just way too cliche, an obvious "cry here" moment in the film. I was actually scared for a moment that the camera was going to pan back and Katniss was going to raise her arms to the sky and scream, "WHYYYYYYYY!"

Last edited by Hepatitis_C on March 27th, 2012, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 27th, 2012, 10:13 pm #8

I'm with you on Sutherland, 'neady.

When I read the books, I imagined John Hurt as President Snow, but I guess he can't play every evil dictator - no matter how much I would like him to.

Have they announced any casting for Catching Fire yet?

'neady
'neady

March 28th, 2012, 12:19 am #9

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5. The problem with movies made from books for me is that I can't help but compare the movie to the one I saw in my head as I read the book.

The Reaping stuff was perfect. I really did like Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, and Elizabeth Banks was great as Effie. Gale was fine because that character was so one-dimensional in the book I never really formed a mental picture for him. Peeta was too small. I imagined Nick Nolte as Haymitch, but Woody was good too. The tone and pacing for the District 12 segments came off very well.

Then next 2/3 of the movie started to unravel for me though. I thought it was a bad choice to skip the Avoxes. They served to maintain the air of horror and oppression amidst the splendor and opulence of the Capital.

I didn't think I would like their idea of Cinna; I imagined him to be much more gaudy and flamboyant. I ended up liking Lenny Kravitz's subdued portrayal though. The other scenes leading up to the games were okay. I especially enjoyed the entrances and the interviews. I was upset that Katniss' three stylists got almost no time, but not everything can make it into a film.

The games themselves were by far the weakest part of the movie. Other than the opening sequence of the Cornucopia, the film failed to capture the dark and gritty elements of the games. The weather never changes. All of the kids look clean and well-fed throughout the whole incident. Katniss digs Peeta out of the mud and he's clean and his hair is styled in the next scene.

I thought they rushed Rue's death and killed any emotional attachment you could have formed. In the book, Katniss and Rue hang out for days, sharing stories of home, surviving, and bonding. In the movie, I was left wondering why Katniss would be so broken up over the death of a girl she basically just met and was going to eventually have to kill anyway.

My other big gripe was with the final scene. By healing Peeta's leg completely they took away a lot of the sense of urgency in that final confrontation. It was so much more dramatic when he was bleeding to death in the rain (yeah, they took out the rain too. Why?) Without Peeta's life bleeding out by seconds, Katniss' defiance of the Capital and the games doesn't make as much sense in context. In the book she decides to eat the berries because it's the only thing she can think of as Peeta is bleeding out from his leg. Without that, why wouldn't they just each refuse to kill the other and grind the games to a halt until the Gamemasters provoked them further?

They also made a few changes that I liked:

Showing the behind the scenes of the games. I felt like it made things clearer and really stressed how involved the Capital is in the games themselves.

Changing the muttations to just big vicious dogs. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for not trying to film that scene as it was written.

And I loved that they added a little humanity to Cato at the end. It turned him from the cardboard villain that Collins wrote into an actual human and emphasized that, above all else, these were still kids in the games.

All in all, I felt like it was a good movie and a great adaptation of the book.

Even being the absolute epitome of manhood that I am, I got teary-eyed at two parts in the film: When Prim gets chosen and tucks in her shirt as she walks up to podium in shock, and when Peeta says, "I don't think winning the games is going to help me at all," during the interview with Caesar Flickerman. And I even knew that second one was coming.

Not Rue's death scene though, that was just way too cliche, an obvious "cry here" moment in the film. I was actually scared for a moment that the camera was going to pan back and Katniss was going to raise her arms to the sky and scream, "WHYYYYYYYY!"

Wow. You nailed it.
I also liked the behind the scenes. Because of that and Ceasar's upbeat commentary and interviews it proved how detached The Capital is about the real horrors of the game.
I didn't cry at the Rue scene either.
The reaping was perfect. The silence throughout was eerie and quite depressing.
I thought the little girl playing Prim did very well. When she was slowly walking to the stage you just knew she wouldn't survive even 30 seconds of the game.
I thought the comedy relief fell kind of flat. I think there was one part I giggled at out of the dozen or so funny moments.

Appalled
Appalled

March 28th, 2012, 1:04 pm #10

Wow! Really?? Why?

No problem squid... Thanks.

So I can't disagree with any of your points, and if I had to say what I didn't like, it was katness' costumes... They were not how I pictured them. Also, the berries/peetas leg, I gasped too when they ate the berries in the book, and that was missing in the movie. Loved Seneca crane being forced to eat the berries though.

The movie had to have a pg13 rating, and honestly sometimes less is more. The violence was right on. I was entertained throughout the entire movie and not once bored. I thought it was very well done, I give it 4 out of 5 wreaths.