Thanks For Not Smoking

Thanks For Not Smoking

August 9th, 2012, 5:01 pm #1

Today we got a memo that our company will be testing a no smoking policy at our Dallas and Orlando facilities, effective January 2013. This will mean no smoking anywhere on campus; not outside, in the parking lot, or even in our cars. If it goes well, the rest of the company will gradually follow suit. We're in Memphis, so its not something anyone here has to worry about for a while. Still, Several of my coworkers are LOSING THEIR SHIT about the possibility of a smoke free workplace and have come to me to complain.

Now I quit smoking over two years ago, so it won't impact me either way. But I see both sides. As a former smoker, I can sympathize with the type of panic these people are feeling. However, part of me is relieved to not have to walk through clouds of smoke any time I step outside for fresh air. Something that really stuck with me, though, is that these people keep saying their rights are being infringed upon. That they have the right to put poison in their bodies if they want. I told them yes, they should have that right, but the company owns this property and also has the right to decide if they choose to allow smoking. Boy that pissed some folks off.

So what say you? Smokers? Non smokers? How would you feel about this policy and what rights, if any do you feel are being violated?

"I don't really know, but I suspect the addition of nuts." - Squid
Last edited by yayforsquirrels on August 9th, 2012, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aurora
Aurora

August 9th, 2012, 5:05 pm #2

In vancouver, not only is it illegal to smoke within 15 feet of any business door/window/intake, it's illegal to smoke in parks or on the beaches. I like it.

CapsLock
CapsLock

August 9th, 2012, 5:09 pm #3

Today we got a memo that our company will be testing a no smoking policy at our Dallas and Orlando facilities, effective January 2013. This will mean no smoking anywhere on campus; not outside, in the parking lot, or even in our cars. If it goes well, the rest of the company will gradually follow suit. We're in Memphis, so its not something anyone here has to worry about for a while. Still, Several of my coworkers are LOSING THEIR SHIT about the possibility of a smoke free workplace and have come to me to complain.

Now I quit smoking over two years ago, so it won't impact me either way. But I see both sides. As a former smoker, I can sympathize with the type of panic these people are feeling. However, part of me is relieved to not have to walk through clouds of smoke any time I step outside for fresh air. Something that really stuck with me, though, is that these people keep saying their rights are being infringed upon. That they have the right to put poison in their bodies if they want. I told them yes, they should have that right, but the company owns this property and also has the right to decide if they choose to allow smoking. Boy that pissed some folks off.

So what say you? Smokers? Non smokers? How would you feel about this policy and what rights, if any do you feel are being violated?

They did that here 6 months ago. Now, the smokers walk across the street. They say it's for our health, but you know it must be an insurance thing.

August 9th, 2012, 5:11 pm #4

Funny. Today is 7 months for me.

I say figure out the shortest route off campus, smokers, because you've got no leg to stand on.

CapsLock
CapsLock

August 9th, 2012, 5:14 pm #5

Is this the longest you've ever gone, Squid?

DJ.

August 9th, 2012, 5:34 pm #6

They should just make a designated area that isn't by a foot-path like my company. The smokers have this nice gazebo tucked into a corner of the back parking lot with benches and high bushes around it and I've never smelled a whif of smoke over there ever.

Last edited by DJ. on August 9th, 2012, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2012, 5:47 pm #7

Is this the longest you've ever gone, Squid?
Congrats, Squid! I hope it just keeps getting easier for you like it did for me. 2 years later, smoking doesn't even appeal to me anymore. Keep it up!

Rory, it's technically illegal to smoke within 15 feet of doors here as well, but nobody at my work abides by it.

Cap, It didn't even occur to me that it might be an insurance thing. I'd bet you're right, though.

My view is that I work for this company,and not the other way around. My paycheck is my reward for doing my job well and any benefits or priveledges are icing on the cake. So unless they are discriminating based on gender, race, religion, etc, I can either abide by the policies or go work somewhere else. It's amazing to me how entitled these people seem to be. They keep saying that if the company wants to implement a healthier policy, then the Coke and vending machines need to go as well. My answer is simply that if the company wants that too, then it's their right to do as they see fit.

Appalled
Appalled

August 9th, 2012, 5:50 pm #8

They should just make a designated area that isn't by a foot-path like my company. The smokers have this nice gazebo tucked into a corner of the back parking lot with benches and high bushes around it and I've never smelled a whif of smoke over there ever.

Congrats Squid, don't give up now, stay strong.

Anonowanger
Anonowanger

August 9th, 2012, 6:03 pm #9

I spent a weekend at a friends house recently. The couple I was staying with both smoke and I am not a regular smoker but with a cocktail have been known to have a few marlboro lights. Well their whole house is basically yellow and black with soot and the A/C vents are noxious. I got home and had to empty my travel bag to the washer because the whole thing smelled like smoke. I ended up washing the backpack it was so bad. I just can not believe they live like this. I knew they smoked but had no idea what havoc it reeked with the windows shut and the A/C on.

August 9th, 2012, 6:06 pm #10

They smoke INSIDE their house? Every single smoker that I know doesn't do that. Weird!