Speaking of dessert

Speaking of dessert

February 5th, 2012, 8:40 pm #1

I'm making a chocolate tuxedo cake and I followed the recipe exactly but when I put the batter in the pan, I had to spread it with a spatula to get it to even out. It's almost whipped or something.
Aside from my disastrous attempt at marbling the chocolate and vanilla, do you think it will be ok if the batter was that thick?
(the batter tastes awesome btw)

Here's the recipe if you want it:

Cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
Chocolate Mousse Filling:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
¼ cup sugar
½ cup whole milk
1 cup good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
White Chocolate Mousse Filling:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
¼ cup sugar
½ cup whole milk
1 cup good quality white chocolate chips
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 8-ounce container Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Ganache:
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ teaspoon instant espresso powder
2-3 ounces white chocolate chips*
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the bottom of a 13×18 pan (bakers half sheet). Line with parchment paper. Grease the paper and flour the pan. Set aside.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the butter for a minute. Add the sugar beating for several minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, mixing it in well. Scrape down the bowl. Add one egg at a time beating well after each addition. Scrape the bowl again. Add the mixed flour ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour. Place 2/3rds of the batter into the prepared pan. Return the bowl to the mixer and add the cocoa powder and the coffee powder. Mix until blended and uniform in color. Dot the chocolate batter onto the pan and marble the two colors with a knife. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tooth pick test comes out clean. Cool completely. Flip the pan over to remove cake, gently tapping it out. Remove the paper and cut into thirds, resulting in 3 equal rectangles measuring approximately 5×13. Can be done one day in advance. Chilling the cake aids the assembly.
Make both flavors of mousse. For the chocolate, stir the gelatin and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir in the milk and let it stand for a couple of minutes to soften the gelatin. Over medium heat, cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it just begins to boil. Remove from the heat. Quickly add the chocolate chips; stir until melted. Stir in the vanilla. Cool to room temperature. In a chilled bowl using chilled beaters, beat the whipping cream until stiff. Gradually add the chocolate, folding it in gently until no white streaks remain. Cover and refrigerate until set.
For the white chocolate mousse, stir the gelatin and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir in the milk and let it stand for a couple of minutes to soften the gelatin. Over medium heat, cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it just begins to boil. Remove from the heat. Quickly add the chocolate chips; stir until melted. Stir in the vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Add the mascarpone cheese to the white chocolate mixture; whip until blended and smooth. In a chilled bowl using chilled beaters, beat the whipping cream until stiff. Gradually add the chocolate/cheese mixture, folding it in gently until uniform in color. Cover and refrigerate until set. Both mousse flavors can be made 1 to 3 days in advance.
To assemble, place one cake rectangle onto a platter. Stir the dark chocolate mousse with a spoon, and spread evenly on top of the cake. Place more emphasis on spreading the mousse to a uniform thickness as close as possible to the edges versus spreading it perfectly to each edge. Fit another cake on top of the mousse. Give the white chocolate mousse a stir, then spread evenly on top of the second layer in the same manner as the previous step. Place the final cake on the top. Set aside.
Meanwhile, make the ganache. In a heat proof measuring cup, heat the cream in the microwave (or bring to a light simmer in a saucepan on the stove) on short 20-30 second intervals until it just begins to bubble and steam. Place the chocolate chips and espresso granules in a small mixing bowl; pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Let the heat of the cream soften the chocolate for a minute, then gently stir with a whisk until well blended, smooth and shiny.
Pour a good amount of the warm ganache onto the top of the cake. Use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate evenly to the edges. Use more if needed, but the recipe yields an ample amount of ganache with a bit leftover.
*Decorative White Chocolate option: Gently melt the 2-3 ounces white chocolate chips in a double-boiler, immediately transfer the chocolate to a resealable plastic bag, squeezing the chocolate towards a corner of the bag. Snip the tip of the corner with scissors to make a small opening. With the cake horizontally in front of you, snake a line of white chocolate vertically across the surface of the ganache from one end to the other. Leave about a half inch space between each S curvature. While both the ganache and the white chocolate are still warm, draw a knife tip horizontally in one direction through the white chocolate. Skip a space (about a half inch) and draw another line horizontally in the opposite direction. Repeat a few more times, spacing evenly, to create the pattern depicted in the photo.
Gently wrap the sides of the cake with plastic film. Place the cake in the refrigerator to set the chocolate ganache topping, about one hour. Take the cake from the refrigerator and remove the wrap. Using a long sharp knife, trim off all four sides of the cake to even the edges. Dipping the knife in hot water between cuts, then shaking off the excess water makes trimming easier. For cleaner trimming, cut the cake in a frozen state.
Last edited by opdm on February 5th, 2012, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i>You're comparing apples and exceptionally bad taste</i> -DJ

February 5th, 2012, 9:45 pm #2

I didn't know you were such a masochist!

Looks to me like it will turn out deliciously moist and dense. Let us know.

jo
jo

February 5th, 2012, 10:39 pm #3

wow Jiggy, that recipe is quite the production, good on ya for trying new recipes.

It sounds absolutely decadent to me with most of my fav ingredients.

Please show after pics and send cake to me via express post. you have my addy

February 6th, 2012, 2:23 am #4

Well, the cake seems to be great but I killed the chocolate mousse. My chocolate was still a little warm when I went to fold it into the whipped cream and the whole thing collapsed into a puddle.
I put it in the freezer for a while until it was starting to set and then whipped it again. It sorta worked.
Working on the white chocolate/mascarpone mousse now. ugh

Here's the cake:

I made grape nut bread with the leftover buttermilk. mmmmmmm

Arwen
Arwen

February 6th, 2012, 2:25 am #5

That looks amazing and I'm so impressed you made it from scratch. Well done

February 6th, 2012, 4:19 am #6

Wow!
That cake is fantastic! I'm not even going to bother with the white and chocolate mousse next time.
Besides, when you make the layers, the thing is like 9 inches tall.

I wasn't going to bother with the topping but, what the heck, I've come this far.

February 6th, 2012, 9:28 am #7

You only really see the full glory of that cake in profile. Looks goooood, Jiggy!

barkenstein
barkenstein

February 6th, 2012, 11:29 am #8

I didn't see onion rings in the recipe.

When do you add them?

AnonoBoom
AnonoBoom

February 6th, 2012, 12:59 pm #9

Grape nut bread? I like grape nuts. Is it this? Intriguing.

GRAPENUT BREAD

1 c. Grapenuts
2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder

Soak Grapenuts in buttermilk for 1 hour. Add 2 beaten eggs and sugar; mix well. Add balance of ingredients which have been sifted together. Stir well. Divide batter into 2 loaf pans (greased). Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 1 hour (until golden brown).

Arwen
Arwen

February 6th, 2012, 3:02 pm #10

Wow!
That cake is fantastic! I'm not even going to bother with the white and chocolate mousse next time.
Besides, when you make the layers, the thing is like 9 inches tall.

I wasn't going to bother with the topping but, what the heck, I've come this far.

Holy moly jiggy that looks good. I can't believe I didn't get you to bake anything for me while I was there.

Did you try a slice? How is the whole experience? Is it a party in your mouth?