Sorely Disappointed

Sorely Disappointed

July 30th, 2012, 2:30 pm #1

So last night I had my 19 year old daughter and her SO watch Harold and Maude with me. Anybody watch this movie? Terrific alternativey 70's movie about being yourself. Messagey, but so off-the-wall the it sells it without being preachy.

Anyway, with all this Chik-Fil-A stuff, I thought it was very appropriate as my kid has some very strong feelings about the issue in favor of Chik-Fil-A being bent over and fucked in the ass to show them that its really not as bad as they think it is. If you haven't watched it, I urge all board members to check out this classic.

Her SO during the movie asked, "So, was this movie better when it first came out?"

My kid on the other hand really liked it and was all like, "you don't like this?"

The SO back-peddled and tried to make it sound like she was asking if it was controversial when it came out.

Bullshit.

I fear my kid's chosen SO is not her intellectual equal. It kinda sucks. They even got tattoos together and talk about whats gonna happen after they get their doctorates, and the order in which they're going to have kid.

Oh well. Shrug. Youth. I will be there for the heartbreak. That said, I predict my kid will do the dumping. To paraphrase Woody Allen, its much easier to be the leavee rather than the left, because, well , the left is just standing there in the same place.

Anonowanger
Anonowanger

July 30th, 2012, 2:38 pm #2

He's getting a doctorate? Or he's talking about getting a doctorate for the lady?

I can see how young people might not get into Harold and Maude. It's old and grainy and has an old lady in it, you know? I loved it, but I wouldn't say the kid is an idiot for asking if it was better back then - I say he was trying to be funny, but got embarrassed when she said she liked it.

I didn't get the connection to Chickfila, what lesson is supposed to be there that's related to watching this?

July 30th, 2012, 2:39 pm #3

Are they both female? You said, "She tried to backpedal..."

July 30th, 2012, 2:44 pm #4

You fear she isn't her intellectual equal because she disliked a movie and then tried to cover to spare her SO's feelings?

Surely there is more to it than that.

I mean, I always assume that people that don't like the exact things I do are intellectually inferior, but it is universally understood that I'm an asshole.

July 30th, 2012, 2:46 pm #5

He's getting a doctorate? Or he's talking about getting a doctorate for the lady?

I can see how young people might not get into Harold and Maude. It's old and grainy and has an old lady in it, you know? I loved it, but I wouldn't say the kid is an idiot for asking if it was better back then - I say he was trying to be funny, but got embarrassed when she said she liked it.

I didn't get the connection to Chickfila, what lesson is supposed to be there that's related to watching this?
Their both sophomore in college - so, hearing them talk about doctorates cracks me up. So many things can happen between 19 and doctorate that counting all your beans in that basket is funny to me. Plus, they've both already switched majors in the one year they've been in school.

I guess I raised my kid to appreciate old stuff as well as new stuff, so she was just raised different than the SO in my opinion. I think an equal amount of intellectual curiosity is pretty important to a relationship, and I don't think the SO is near what my kid is.

I do think H and M touches on many issues that same sex marriage brings up. Although instead of gay, we have an 80 year old with an 18 year old.

This doesn't sound a tad familiar...?

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Anonowanger
Anonowanger

July 30th, 2012, 2:46 pm #6

I didn't catch that, not that it matters. But SO was thrown around, I guess, and the gay marriage issue is coming clearer here, given that.

Still say a kid probably wouldn't like this movie - I mean, there's the lady from Every Which Way But Loose, but where's Clyde?

Anonowanger
Anonowanger

July 30th, 2012, 2:49 pm #7

Their both sophomore in college - so, hearing them talk about doctorates cracks me up. So many things can happen between 19 and doctorate that counting all your beans in that basket is funny to me. Plus, they've both already switched majors in the one year they've been in school.

I guess I raised my kid to appreciate old stuff as well as new stuff, so she was just raised different than the SO in my opinion. I think an equal amount of intellectual curiosity is pretty important to a relationship, and I don't think the SO is near what my kid is.

I do think H and M touches on many issues that same sex marriage brings up. Although instead of gay, we have an 80 year old with an 18 year old.

This doesn't sound a tad familiar...?

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>
Ok, I get it now. The wording up there threw me.

Squid wants to know if you're going to answer the question, though.

Soozin
Soozin

July 30th, 2012, 2:53 pm #8

I gathered that they're both girls. Good on them for knowing, and good on you for supporting... Committing to tattoos at 19 kind of sucks, though. Personalities go through lots of changes in those early 20s.

Looking back, I think I watch Harold and Maude about every 10 years. First when I was about 10 or 12, then 22ish, then 32ish. I clearly remember getting a different message out of it each time. And I liked it best at my youngest and oldest viewings.

At the 10-year old point, I don't think I understood hardly anything that was going on, but I remember liking the hippie music, and the shock and novelty of Harold's failed suicide attempts.

At 22, I was kind of horrified at the lack of attention the kid got for the attempted suicides, and grossed out at H&M's weird relationship. But still liked the music.

At 32, I appreciated the message more, and let the weirdness of the story just be weird, and was able to enjoy the story more than at 22. Still liked the music.

July 30th, 2012, 2:57 pm #9

Ok, I get it now. The wording up there threw me.

Squid wants to know if you're going to answer the question, though.
Yes. Its been a long, strange 5 years. Most of it is just regular teenage stuff, no different than any other teen. A few actual issues have come up, mostly in the last year with the parents of the SO who are Catholics. The dad seems kind of insane to me. He'll go from kicking his daughter out, to inviting my kid over and being accepting. Incredibly schizophrenic. I'm very wary.

As far as the taste/art issue - I guess it could be overcome.

Soozin
Soozin

July 30th, 2012, 3:02 pm #10

My instinct would be to assume that they won't last, but that's based entirely on the fact that they're 19, not for having different taste in movies.

My boy and I couldn't have more opposite taste in TV or movies, but that's not hard to work out. Luckily, we like the same music (except for me being Pro-Call Me Maybe, and him being Anti-).