Romney the Bully of Gays

Romney the Bully of Gays

May 10th, 2012, 8:27 pm #1

To care, or not to care, that is the question.

So I'm not sure how to feel about this story. He sounds like he was an utter douchenozzle then and is rather unapologetic now. On the other hand, this happened in the sixties. Teenage boys are only one step removed from re-enacting key scenes from "Lord of the Flies" at any given moment and what he did was very much condoned and common at the time. Is bringing it up now relevant to the content of his character, or just a cynical political move?

(05-10) 11:55 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

Mitt Romney apologized Thursday to classmates he may have offended by "hijinks and pranks during high school" and insisted he didn't know that some were gay.

The Republican presidential candidate issued the apology during a hastily arranged radio interview after The Washington Post reported Thursday that he had held down classmate John Lauber and cut off his bleached blond hair when they were students at a prestigious boarding school in the wealthy Detroit suburb of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

The Post suggested Lauber was bullied because he was gay.

"The people involved didn't come out of the closet until years later," Romney told a Fox News radio show. "I had no idea that this person might have been gay."

"I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks during high school and some may have gone too far. And for that I apologize," he added.

May 10th, 2012, 8:43 pm #2

No, that's not right.

I'm definitely not the same person I was when in high school. Not fair to think that even Romney is (even if he may be.)

"Ta Friggin da"

Ginny
Ginny

May 10th, 2012, 8:48 pm #3

To care, or not to care, that is the question.

So I'm not sure how to feel about this story. He sounds like he was an utter douchenozzle then and is rather unapologetic now. On the other hand, this happened in the sixties. Teenage boys are only one step removed from re-enacting key scenes from "Lord of the Flies" at any given moment and what he did was very much condoned and common at the time. Is bringing it up now relevant to the content of his character, or just a cynical political move?

(05-10) 11:55 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

Mitt Romney apologized Thursday to classmates he may have offended by "hijinks and pranks during high school" and insisted he didn't know that some were gay.

The Republican presidential candidate issued the apology during a hastily arranged radio interview after The Washington Post reported Thursday that he had held down classmate John Lauber and cut off his bleached blond hair when they were students at a prestigious boarding school in the wealthy Detroit suburb of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

The Post suggested Lauber was bullied because he was gay.

"The people involved didn't come out of the closet until years later," Romney told a Fox News radio show. "I had no idea that this person might have been gay."

"I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks during high school and some may have gone too far. And for that I apologize," he added.
Eh. If you are the kind of person who thinks you can hold someone down and cut their hair off, I don't know that it changes. Adults don't do that kind of thing usually, but you're still that kind of person. A rich boy who thinks he can do whatever he wants, and probably can.

May 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm #4

I'd be fine with it if the apology was a little less qualified.

I owe some apologies. If someone points one out to me, I'm going to just straight up apologize.

That said - how about the timing of the gay marriage support by Obama and this story?

Coinky-dink?

How about: No fucking way!

May 10th, 2012, 9:40 pm #5

Interesting blog piece in the New Yorker that makes a case for why the story is relevant now:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... bully.html

May 10th, 2012, 9:41 pm #6

I'd be fine with it if the apology was a little less qualified.

I owe some apologies. If someone points one out to me, I'm going to just straight up apologize.

That said - how about the timing of the gay marriage support by Obama and this story?

Coinky-dink?

How about: No fucking way!
I did things in high school I am unbelievably UN-proud of. Ashamed of, even. At the time, I believed myself entitled to act upon my impulses with not much consequence. This includes things as harmless as ringing people's doorbells and running (younger than high school, obviously), to minor vandalism and theft.

I didn't target people based on their race or age or sexual orientation, so one could argue that it's not the same as what's discussed above, but I absolutely think that as you lose your youth, you gain the understanding that it is not okay to do whatever you want, whenever you feel like it.

May 11th, 2012, 4:53 am #7

Isn't Romney enough of a douche now?

Why do we need to drag up his doucheyness from high school?

I'm pretty sure gutting companies for profit ranks higher than handing out noogies on a graph of dick moves.

May 11th, 2012, 12:54 pm #8

The real thing is that the guy won't admit to or own ANYTHING.

He can't even dismiss this nonsense story with a simple,

"Yeah, I remember it - it was awful. I wish the guy was alive today so I could apologize to his face. I'm not proud that high school me did that."

The FUCKING end.

Instead it went:

1st question: [Romney Chuckles and smiles] "Yeah I pulled some pranks, didn't we all? Sorry if anyone was hurt. I don't remember this one though."

2nd go: [serious now] "Yeah, I pulled some pranks. I don't remember the one you're talking about. Sorry if anyone was hurt."

3rd go: "I don't remember it, but it certainly wasn't because he was GAY. We didn't focus on those things back then in the '60s. Sorry if anyone was hurt." [This begs the question how he'd know it wasn't because he was gay if he couldn't remember it."

4th-80th go: "Mush mush I am equivocating I voted before the war before I voted against it."

See Also: More evidence that ROMNEY LIES ABOUT EVERYTHING. Even things that don't matter.

May 11th, 2012, 3:07 pm #9

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315"></embed></object>
Last edited by orvis on May 11th, 2012, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2012, 3:08 pm #10

Well said PJ.