Random Act of Kindness

Random Act of Kindness

May 31st, 2012, 9:56 pm #1

I had a really hectic day today (and I still am having one). I snuck out to get a burrito bowl at Chipotle for lunch, and the lady in line in front of me paid for my lunch for no apparent reason. Isn't that nice?

I'm going to go ahead and assume she didn't think I was homeless based on the fact that I got filthy taking pictures of burned vending machines for work this morning, and was just being nice because I chatted with her about the barbacoa.

Had any nice things happen recently?
<i>Emokid is throwing slomo dove at my face, I guess that means he flipped me the bird</i>

May 31st, 2012, 11:36 pm #2

That's really nice!

Hmmm, in my world right now, not a whole lot of random acts of kindness.

...my distance isn't because of a lack of caring. It's because I really do want to focus on a happy ending...
--- tOdd

...my distance isn't because of a lack of caring. It's because I really do want to focus on a happy ending...
--- tOdd

June 1st, 2012, 12:26 am #3

Nothing recently for me. But that's such a cool thing, Ginny

I do the puzzles (crossword, sudoku, word jumble) in the newspaper every day after work. It's my unwind time. Dear Abby is on the same page so I always read it. This week there was a letter about a random act of kindness (I just googled and found it online). This one really touched on the perfect Random Act of Kindness. Wonderful.

C&P
I was working as a cashier in a grocery store. An elderly woman came through my line with about 10 items in her basket, including some strawberries and shortcakes. Making small talk, I commented on how nice the berries looked. She agreed, and informed me that they were a little treat for herself. She said she didnt have much on her late husbands pension.

When I told her the total, her face fell and she asked me to take the strawberries and shortcakes off because she couldnt afford them. I was sad and embarrassed for her. I thought about buying them myself, but had no cash on me and wasnt sure if it might violate a store policy. She paid for the remainder of her items and went outside to rest on a bench before walking home. I began scanning the next customers items while trying to put out of my mind the sadness I felt at the ladys disappointment. My customer asked me why the lady hadnt taken her strawberries. I explained and continued totaling the womans sale.

The woman then told me to include the strawberries not for herself, but for the lady outside. She wanted no praise or thanks and asked me to give them to the lady. I took them to the lady on the bench and explained that the woman in line behind her had purchased them for her. She looked down at the strawberries, tucked them into her bag and began to cry, murmuring about the kindness of strangers. I went back inside and had to explain to the next 15 minutes worth of customers in my line why I was crying.

The woman who bought the strawberries never saw how grateful the lady was, nor how touched I was, or my co-workers and other customers were not only by her kindness, but her humility in making her gift anonymous. She affected so many people that day, I hope those reading this letter will affect and influence many more. INDIANA READER
/C&P

June 1st, 2012, 8:35 am #4

Nothing extravagant, but someone had some 2 for 1 coupons for movie tickets that were expiring tonight, and they posted the codes on craigslist and I was able to snag one that hadn't been used, so unexpected half price movie tonight.

Saw The Dictator. we laughed A LOT! At one point I hurt from laughing. I didn't expect that.

June 1st, 2012, 12:45 pm #5

I love this thread.

June 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm #6

I had a really hectic day today (and I still am having one). I snuck out to get a burrito bowl at Chipotle for lunch, and the lady in line in front of me paid for my lunch for no apparent reason. Isn't that nice?

I'm going to go ahead and assume she didn't think I was homeless based on the fact that I got filthy taking pictures of burned vending machines for work this morning, and was just being nice because I chatted with her about the barbacoa.

Had any nice things happen recently?
Anny, that made me cry and I wasn't even there!

Last week I had some errands to run after dropping Autumn off at boxing class. I made the last minute decision to get Liv's hair cut while walking passed a salon. There was a guy sitting next to the kids table waiting for a cut. I sat Liv down and played with her, fully aware this guy was staring at Liv and her odd behavior. Naturally I'm usually defensive about gawkers and mumblers. Sometimes I say something and sometimes I bite my tongue. In this case I bit my tongue because he didn't look totally revolted like some people do and I just wasn't in the mood to deal with another case of ignoramus. A stylist called his name, clipped him up in seven minutes or less, he payed and was out the door.
The same stylist called for Liv and when Liv was in the chair the stylist told me that the gentleman who just left paid for her haircut.
"Huh?".
"I don't know if you know him or not..."
Just then my eyes started to water and my nose got tingly. I turned around to look for him but he was gone.
Not only was it a random act of kindness but it was a lesson to me that not all gawkers are the same.

June 1st, 2012, 3:25 pm #7

That is beautiful. Really beautiful.

June 1st, 2012, 4:09 pm #8

Oh, what a great story neady. I think some people just want to chat and don't know how to do it.

Emokid is throwing slomo dove at my face, I guess that means he flipped me the bird
<i>Emokid is throwing slomo dove at my face, I guess that means he flipped me the bird</i>

June 1st, 2012, 4:40 pm #9

Beautiful stories, specially Neady's.

June 1st, 2012, 5:08 pm #10

What a wonderful thing that man did for Liv! I love your take on it, Neady - lesson learned. Those moments in life are the best.

Last edited by AnnyBoo on June 1st, 2012, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.