Pilgrimage

Pilgrimage

TTG
TTG

February 8th, 2012, 5:34 am #1

Soo, tomorrow I leave on a 6 month tour of a lot of places and would like, if possible, to have a beer with any you guys close to one of my destinations. Here's a brief list of the areas I'll be:

West Coast (pretty much all of it)
Hawaii
Australia (east coast)
Almost all of the south pacific
New Delhi
Turkey (my neck of the woods)
bumming around europe for 3 months or so
Morocco

Then back to the good ol' U S of A on the east coast. If any of you guys are close to these places shoot me an email rdemirkan66@hotmail.com and hopefully we can get a drink. I'll have random access to internet so I should be able to get any emails you send. If I don't hear from ya have a good six months, and here's to hoping that vixen Wendy shoots me an email.

-TTG

smirk
smirk

February 8th, 2012, 3:25 pm #2

That sounds like an awesome trip to end all trips! Hit me up if you hit the Carolinas when you get to the East Coast...

TTg
TTg

February 8th, 2012, 4:21 pm #3

Sounds good I'll be driving through them a couple of times in September and October on my way to Savannah so I'll shoot you a message when I go through.

smirk
smirk

February 8th, 2012, 5:06 pm #4

Surely!

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

February 8th, 2012, 10:50 pm #5

I'll drink two in Dallas for your absence.

TTG
TTG

February 29th, 2012, 9:38 am #6

Hey Angry I'm in Sydney now heading to Brisbane in a couple days, you still up for a beer?

May 3rd, 2012, 10:10 am #7

It's raining in Hoi An (Vietnam) at the moment so I thought I'd type up an update... Hadn't realized how long it had been. So I'm in Hoi An, Vietnam, great small town. The place to go for nice suites, bought 2, 4 pants and 5 shirts all hand tailored for $400, almost saved what a plane ticket would cost to get here. I'll present the rest in reverse chronological order:

Saigon (Ho Chi Min City), Vietnam - It was a little more filled with Anti-America propaganda and prostitutes then I expected but the people were pretty nice. The Vietnam War is called "The War of American Aggression" over here and they basically have an entire museum dedicated to displaying trophies of war (wrecked b-52s) and pictures of American atrocities, a very sobering experience. Still a good time, and if you just want to walk around and have a beer it can accommodate, that and it's always good to get both sides of the coin, makes you wonder what the US Govt skewed in their presentation.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia - Great city, the riverside was nice, the hotel we stayed in was complete with a living room and a balcony all for about $15 a night, crazy cheap. I've never met a nicer population of people then I met in Cambodia. This was made even more astounding when you go to the Killing Fields, which are just outside of town, and realize that just 30 years ago Pol Pot was killing millions of people in death camps and they were in the middle of a brutal civil war. How they still smile is beyond me.

Siam Reap, Cambodia - Angkor Wat is pretty impressive but the people and the town were by far my favorite aspects. This has been the best place I've visited so far, made even better by our ridiculously nice guesthouse owner. He invited us to his family New Years celebration and gave us free beers almost every night. One of the most genuine people I've ever met, cemented by the quote "A promise is a debt", a pretty profound statement from a non-english speaker who was already 3 sheets to the wind. If you ever go to Siam Reap stay at Sam So's guesthouse, he's good people.

Bangkok, Thailand - SHIT BE CRAZY!!! We were there for a couple weeks including Songkran, their new year. Songkran is basically a giant city wide water fight that lasts for 4 days. It's really fun but my old bones could only handle one day and we spent the rest of Songkran hiding in our hotel or hopping from Taxi to Taxi. Outside of this it's kind of like a poorer seedier Vegas. I'd say 1/5 of the women I saw were actually men and every Tuk Tuk driver, merchant, Cabbie was offering drugs, sex or ping pong shows... crazy. There is a high class side though Siam Center has some of the nicest malls I've ever been around and you can tell the place oozes new money. A place to go in your youth (I'd say I was a tad too late) definitely not kid friendly. O yeah I also got to pet a bunch tigers here, that was worth the experience.

Ko Samet, Thailand - It was a beach area, we stayed in a hotel that looked like it was awesome in the 80's then abandoned. Could have been nice but we were too busy anticipating a zombie attack to enjoy it, place was deserted and probably deserved to be so.

Penang, Malaysia - It seemed nice, but I was kind of wiped from Kuala Lumpur to really enjoy it. Spent most of my time drinking, relaxing and hanging out with this kind of awkward but very personable Chinese monk.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - One of the more metropolitan cities I've been in, it's big and bustling and still up and coming. The Petronas towers are cool to see, they also have their own seatlle-esque space needle, what made the city is the hostel we stayed at, the Reggae Mansion. Huge community, three bars and a lot of excursions, got to feed and ride an elephant. I highly recommend the reggae mansion for the non-kid attached traveler. All ages were welcomed and represented, however the majority were in their 20s.

Singapore, Singapore - Didn't really like Singapore. For every bit Bangkok was a trashier Vegas Singapore was a classier one. Ridiculous architecture but no real culture it was kind of a mash up between asian/indian/islamic cultures cool to see working in harmony but no real history which is what I like. We did have singapore slings at the raffles, no-mescal.

This brings us to Brisbane where I kind of left off, and where Angry totally stood me up. I liked Brisbane,a lot. Our hostel was nice and it was a very clean friendly city, very much like San Diego. You can tell it's the new world, there aren't any old buildings, but I didn't go there for that. I went to Brisbane to see my Grandfather's Plane that he flew in Vietnam. I did and it was amazing, here's a painting of ithttp://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/o/889/3/1/3 . Sitting in the same cockpit as my grandfather was... I don't know if I have the words for it. I mean it had been restored, but a lot of the bullet holes/patches/dents were left to maintain authenticity. It was full of history and displayed its scars like a college degree. Experiencing the exact plane from my grandfather's stories is just something that in my mind has no equivalent, experiencing a family legend.

I've been on the road for about 3 months and have about 3 more months to go. If any of you guys have a question about a place I've been I'll try and answer them and if anybody wants to meet up with a friendly "face" (never met any of you in person) in a foreign land hop on a plane and we'll have some beers.

Rains over, thanks for the movie updates,

-TTG

Last edited by thatturkishguy on May 3rd, 2012, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 3rd, 2012, 4:59 pm #8

WOW! What a fantastic write up, TTG. I'm envious, fascinated, and amazed all in one! I will definitely check back here often to see what other adventures you have.

Six months! How do you get to do that for six months???!!!

TTG
TTG

May 4th, 2012, 2:19 am #9

Been saving and planning for a while, Oh and I got laid off in January.