People, I just want to say, can we all drown alone?

People, I just want to say, can we all drown alone?

June 17th, 2012, 4:28 pm #1

Rodney King was found at the bottom of his pool this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/17/us/obit-r ... ?hpt=hp_t1

ETA:

Although I wasn't glued to his case, my understanding is that he was violating his parole, drunk driving, and resisting arrest at the time of his beating. It's hard to feel sorry for him.

The riots were fun to watch though after the cops were found not guilty.

Last edited by opdm on June 17th, 2012, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i>You're comparing apples and exceptionally bad taste</i> -DJ

June 17th, 2012, 4:52 pm #2

I saw him a few times on that celebrity rehab show.  He seemed like a genuinely nice guy with severe problems.  Hard to live your life in the shadow of something you did you aren't proud of  more than 20 years ago. So yeah, I feel bad for him.  RIP Rodney.

Emokid is throwing slomo dove at my face, I guess that means he flipped me the bird
<i>Emokid is throwing slomo dove at my face, I guess that means he flipped me the bird</i>

June 17th, 2012, 5:32 pm #3

I'll never understain why that statement was ridiculed like it was. Here's a poor, semi-educated man thrust into the spotlight, asked to give his feelings on the state of race relations in America. And he asks why can't we all just get along. I think it was perfect.

Rest in Peace, Mr. King. You got a raw deal.

June 17th, 2012, 6:17 pm #4

He got like 3.5 million dollars as a reward for violating parole, driving drunk and resisting arrest.

I'd take a raw deal like that any day.

You're comparing apples and exceptionally bad taste -DJ

June 17th, 2012, 7:09 pm #5

I've seen the video - I don't really see anyone resisting arrest. I see someone cowering on the ground. This description is pretty much how I remember it:

"An amateur cameraman caught the scene as four white police officers struck King more than 50 times with their wooden batons and used a stun gun on him.

King said as the officers beat him, they yelled, "We are going to kill you, n***er," although the officers denied using racial slurs.

The video shows King cowering on the ground and attempting to crawl away as he is surrounded by a crowd of police officers. Four of them used their nightsticks to strike him.

King was beaten nearly to death. Three surgeons operated on him for five hours."

The LA Police Department then was notorious for this shit. I don't care if he was drunk, violating parole, peeing on a picture of Jesus and swinging wildly. The job of our police is to shut such a person down and transport them safely to custody. No one deserves what Rodney King got except maybe Sandusky - but even there, I don't want anyone on the public's payroll delivering it.

Thank goodness the LAPD has turned itself around. Into a model even - as noted by how well they've handled crowd control and protest in the past year. The Rodney King beating was a low moment for the man.

June 17th, 2012, 7:32 pm #6

I'm not necessarily siding with the LAPD here but it's not like they targeted some innocent person walking down the street and decided to beat the shit out of him. It was the end of a high speed chase with a drunk felon at the wheel.

And what part of stay still did he not understand? He was crawling away so they clocked him some more until he stopped.

Did they go too far? I would say so but that doesn't make King a saint.

June 17th, 2012, 8:31 pm #7

Who said he was a saint?

You're wrong on this one.

June 17th, 2012, 8:54 pm #8

Wrong about what? That he drowned? The article said they found him at the bottom of his pool. I assume it had water in it.

June 17th, 2012, 10:34 pm #9

They sure made Reginald Denny and local shop owners pay for that police brutality though.

That'll teach the LAPD!

June 17th, 2012, 10:45 pm #10

Semi-educated? So, high school diploma only?