OK Tarantino people, riddle me this....

OK Tarantino people, riddle me this....

April 13th, 2007, 7:14 am #1

I've got a couple questions (that don't necessarily have right or wrong answers, per se - I would just like some feedback), regarding the films of Q.T.

1. This one is up there with, synching up 'Dark Side of the Moon' with 'The Wizard of Oz' (i.e. it's been discussed to death). But I read something new regarding 'Pulp Fiction' and the infamous contents of the briefcase. Apart from the theory that it contains Marsellus' soul, I've also now read the stolen diamonds from 'Reservoir Dogs' were in the case. Personally, I like the ambiguity, and I think that was what Tarantino really intended. Thoughts? I will say, crossing possible plot lines into other films isn't new... is it? (see exanple #2)

2. In the opening scene in 'From Dusk To Dawn' (which was written by Q.T.) not only do we see a glimpse of Sheriff Earl McGraw (from 'Kill Bill') the clerk in the store is reading a magazine entitled, 'Bride'. Coincidence? Two future references to a film that was YEARS down the pike? I can't believe that Tarantino had that much forethought.

Thatturkishguy
Thatturkishguy

April 13th, 2007, 11:56 am #2

Well I wouldn't put it past him first of all to do any of this however, the contents of the brief case glowed gold on his face which would suggest to me that the contents weren't diamonds. The second question I'm not too sure about but I did hear of it.

tricialicious
tricialicious

April 13th, 2007, 3:48 pm #3

I've got a couple questions (that don't necessarily have right or wrong answers, per se - I would just like some feedback), regarding the films of Q.T.

1. This one is up there with, synching up 'Dark Side of the Moon' with 'The Wizard of Oz' (i.e. it's been discussed to death). But I read something new regarding 'Pulp Fiction' and the infamous contents of the briefcase. Apart from the theory that it contains Marsellus' soul, I've also now read the stolen diamonds from 'Reservoir Dogs' were in the case. Personally, I like the ambiguity, and I think that was what Tarantino really intended. Thoughts? I will say, crossing possible plot lines into other films isn't new... is it? (see exanple #2)

2. In the opening scene in 'From Dusk To Dawn' (which was written by Q.T.) not only do we see a glimpse of Sheriff Earl McGraw (from 'Kill Bill') the clerk in the store is reading a magazine entitled, 'Bride'. Coincidence? Two future references to a film that was YEARS down the pike? I can't believe that Tarantino had that much forethought.
Well, Tarentino(sorry if it's spelled wrong) and Uma Thurman came up with the idea of 'the bride' while doing Pulp Fiction. so it makes perfect sense. He always throws references in his movies.

Spaz
Spaz

April 13th, 2007, 10:22 pm #4

So,,,, the next one might have Charlie Brown in it? (Kill Bill reference)

Actually, I would love to see a movie on:
how the Crazy 88's got their name.
what or how whatever is in the case got into the case
Uma's training with Master what's his name (my ex took my copy of Kill Bill V.II)

April 13th, 2007, 11:18 pm #5

Spaz, I like those ideas - personally, I find 'Kill Bill, Vol.1' the greatest film of all time - someone told me that the Japanese version of the big '88' vz. Uma fight scene is completely in color (which doesn't do shit for me as I am color blind) - on the upside, only 5 more years until some newfangled Special Edition 10th annv. DVD will be available, right, RIGHT?

Also, (and I think this was just Q.T. flappin' his gums) he hinted at the possiblity of a 'Kill Bill, Vol 3' in years to come with Vernita's child vowing revenge on Beatrix. Wishful thinking? Yeah... probably.

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

April 14th, 2007, 12:49 am #6

It seems obvious after the fact, but Death Proof, cut it in half and flip the second half with the first, and its in the right order.

Noyeser
Noyeser

April 14th, 2007, 5:50 pm #7

Dante...

You hit it on the nose with Death Proof dood...

I loved the scenes, but not in the order the movie showed...

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

April 15th, 2007, 12:12 am #8

Definately. Mike's demeanor was drastically different in the second half. His car wasn't death proof. He wasn't out to kill the chicks, just fuck with em. Its the second experience that turns him into the killer of the first.

MEbossyouNOT
MEbossyouNOT

April 16th, 2007, 7:37 pm #9

I've always liked the tiny umbilical cords Quentin ties together from one movie to the next. I have a few theories:

1) I have a theory that the sword Bruce Willis finds and uses to kill Zed in the gun shop in Pulp, is actually a Hattori Hanzo, perhaps even Budd's (in keeping with his original intentions, I imagine Bud's hanzo sword being pawned and hocked its way into zed's store).

2) I think Mr. blond's shaving blade that he uses to torture the cop in Reservoir Dogs is the same one that somehow ends up in Uma's boots in Kill Bill part two which she uses to cut her bonds in the coffin. Come to think of it I think they even wear the same cowboy boots. I think Budd and Mr. Blond are the same person in alternate universe/timelines (both share a deeply embedded sense of honor when it is due; Mr blond endured prison instead of ratting out Cabot, Budd is the only one willing to recieve his comeuppance from the bride and admits "that woman deserves her revenge"). I think since Bud sympathizes for The bride's revenge mission, his alterego Mr Blond sends her the boots n' blade as a means to escape and carry on.

3) The Bride ends up inheriting Clarence Whurly's "Elvis" sunglasses from True Romance (She finds them on Buck in the hospital after killing him and puts them on as she escapes). I call them the "pimp killer glasses" because Clarence and the Bride are both wearing them after they've both killed a pimp (Gary Oldman played a pimp in Romance and, in Kill Bill, Buck was pimping his female comatose patients off to his friends)

4) This is a little far-fetched but I always thought Zed and Buck were related like cousins or something. Makes sense to me. They're both hill billy rapists and both have a penchant for over the top car key-rings and modes of transportation(Zed's chopper and Buck's pussy wagon).

5) Out of sheer self-indulgence I like to think Quentin Taratino is essentially the same character reincarnated as every other character he plays in his movies; He keeps dying but Hell keeps spitting him back up into the real world because they can't stand listening to his annoying, constant yammering down there. At one point Hell tries to be creative and spits him into Desperado, Robert Rodriguez' Universe, but he gets killed there too.

6) Quentin himself has confirmed that Vincent Vega and Vic Vega (Mr Blond) are in fact brothers. He also entertained the notion of a movie idea with the two of them together in a back-story setting, road-trip style a la the Gecko brothers in first half of Dusk til Dawn. This bloodline might also support the theory of Marcellus's suitcase being the diamonds from Reservoir Dogs. Vincent Vega might have gotten knowledge of the suitcase's existance when he heard his brother was killed in the heist.

There are more I cant think of right now, Im sure there's probably some website that has shit like this but I never look to them since its much more fun coming up with this stuff on your own.

Captain Bob
Captain Bob

April 16th, 2007, 11:03 pm #10

I think you all got too much time on your hands... i mean i do too, thats why i read it, but still... not THAT much.