Occupy Wall Street

Occupy Wall Street

O.A.
O.A.

October 5th, 2011, 5:30 pm #1

Soooo...nobody gives a shit? I've seen so little about this on television, only read a few articles. Supposedly it's now spreading "across the country" but I'm not really clear where. To me, the most remarkable thing is how resoundingly it's being ignored by the "media."

I know that some women were pepper sprayed last week and that there were several hundred arrests in one day, but they've been mostly peaceful. That it's grown out of some of the European protests, but this one started by a Canadian magazine's call for action, as it were. Sounds like it's mostly young people disillusioned about the future of America.

Thoughts? Feeling? Meh?

Appalled
Appalled

October 5th, 2011, 5:41 pm #2

Its an interesting approach.

I think Todd should go take pics and report back.

O.A.
O.A.

October 5th, 2011, 5:44 pm #3

Agreed. It would be interesting to get a first hand look/feel for what's happening.

And how about those Canadians, always stirring up trouble? The nerve!

Ginny
Ginny

October 5th, 2011, 5:46 pm #4

Soooo...nobody gives a shit? I've seen so little about this on television, only read a few articles. Supposedly it's now spreading "across the country" but I'm not really clear where. To me, the most remarkable thing is how resoundingly it's being ignored by the "media."

I know that some women were pepper sprayed last week and that there were several hundred arrests in one day, but they've been mostly peaceful. That it's grown out of some of the European protests, but this one started by a Canadian magazine's call for action, as it were. Sounds like it's mostly young people disillusioned about the future of America.

Thoughts? Feeling? Meh?
I guess I could get a little more passionate if someone could tell me what exactly they are protesting?

So far it's been kind of like "Other people have stuff! And I want stuff! Stuff!"

Soozin
Soozin

October 5th, 2011, 5:46 pm #5

Thoughts? Feeling? Meh?
There's been a few of them in a dominant area of downtown STL. That was fun because the Cardinals had a playoff game at 4, and Obama gave a little speech around 6. Even with all that, the streets of downtown still looked empty. (I work right by the stadium.)

I heard the story about the Occupy people on NPR this morning, and it just totally reminded me of Animal Farm - the book about Communism I had to read in 7th grade. The kids are trying to organize without any organization, but quickly realize that some folks showed up unprepared with no sleeping bags... so what to do? Dip into the general fund and buy some for them ($2000 for 120 sleeping bags is what they said they needed)? Buy material and MAKE sleeping bags for them? Or, what? Maybe they're on their own since they knew what they were getting into, and didn't come prepared?

I think they'll quickly realize that they need SOME sort of leadership and rules, and that mission statement is jibberish (This is the mission statement from their site):

---------

Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants.

---------

What does that even MEAN? Am I part of the 99%??

October 5th, 2011, 5:47 pm #6

Its an interesting approach.

I think Todd should go take pics and report back.
I see them around but I'm not really even sure what their deal is. They're mad because there are banks and big corporations in NY and there are people who have jobs and are rich?

October 5th, 2011, 5:48 pm #7

Agreed. It would be interesting to get a first hand look/feel for what's happening.

And how about those Canadians, always stirring up trouble? The nerve!
There were people marching down the street in front of the building I work in (Boston). I think they were going to the Bank of America building. I thinking about joining them...

Down with ATM fees! Give me free checking or give me death! Put a branch of my bank closer to my office, please! Even if it's just an ATM kiosk, that's cool! Thanks!

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

AnonoFry
AnonoFry

October 5th, 2011, 5:55 pm #8

There's been a few of them in a dominant area of downtown STL. That was fun because the Cardinals had a playoff game at 4, and Obama gave a little speech around 6. Even with all that, the streets of downtown still looked empty. (I work right by the stadium.)

I heard the story about the Occupy people on NPR this morning, and it just totally reminded me of Animal Farm - the book about Communism I had to read in 7th grade. The kids are trying to organize without any organization, but quickly realize that some folks showed up unprepared with no sleeping bags... so what to do? Dip into the general fund and buy some for them ($2000 for 120 sleeping bags is what they said they needed)? Buy material and MAKE sleeping bags for them? Or, what? Maybe they're on their own since they knew what they were getting into, and didn't come prepared?

I think they'll quickly realize that they need SOME sort of leadership and rules, and that mission statement is jibberish (This is the mission statement from their site):

---------

Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants.

---------

What does that even MEAN? Am I part of the 99%??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thepete/6204862602/

It only takes 20 minutes to shift the blame

O.A.
O.A.

October 5th, 2011, 6:06 pm #9

I was seeing a lot of that "I am the 99%" stuff.

Right? I can't figure it out. I've seen enough on the web to let me know that the current crop of 20-somethings feel like the world has been screwed up royally by us old folks and that we now owe them...something. A job. A sleeping bag?

All I know is I was a "slacker." I was GenX, the generation that was going to ruin America. If this is what we're raising..then maybe they have a point. Heh.

October 5th, 2011, 6:09 pm #10

Huh, they had Ben Bernanke talking about their viewpoints sympathetically while he urged Congress not to make draconian cuts in this economy - so I think they're doing a pretty damn good job. Presumably the only option other than cuts is to tax the rich, and basically that's what they just got the Chairman of the Federal Reserve to tacitly endorse...