New Thread

June 23rd, 2012, 4:23 am #11

I'm hosting a BBQ soon. Like I went overboard with the invites. I invited what could turn out to be about 60 people. I'm excited about it. I feel like I can hook it up. But 60 kinda feels like a lot. I was thinking I would do two pork shoulders on the smoker. That's at least 40 or so BBQ pork sandwiches. And then I'll just have frozen burgers and hot dogs.

I'm going to either rent/buy a tent for the yard and definitely buy an EZ up for the pool area. Plus badminton, horseshoes, and a swimming pool.

Should be no problem, right? I'm excited and nervous. It's something having people over for a party. There's a judgement vibe from some that I don't like at all.

June 23rd, 2012, 4:28 am #12

I didn't get my invite yet

That sounds like an awesome party. Don't worry about the details, it'll be great

June 23rd, 2012, 4:37 am #13

More than 20 people sounds crazy-stressful to me.
I just bought a tub of frozen passionfruit puree. Does anybody have suggestions on what to do with it besides smoothies and sorbet?

Ginny
Ginny

June 23rd, 2012, 6:20 am #14

I don't think I could even find 60 people I would want to invite over.

'neady
'neady

June 23rd, 2012, 12:40 pm #15

I rarely entertain because it's too much pressure to make sure my guests are having fun.

CapsLock
CapsLock

June 23rd, 2012, 3:11 pm #16

Well, It's mostly family, so no one is going to expect too much.

June 23rd, 2012, 3:56 pm #17

Maybe your friends and family are different from mine, Caps. The crazy-making for me comes from so few people giving a definite yes or no that they will be attending so I can easily plan out the amount of food and beverages.

June 23rd, 2012, 4:05 pm #18

Well, I did put an RSVP date and only my sister has replied. But the party isn't until the beginning of August and the RSVP date is July 20th. I think most will come to the party because they haven't seen the house and there's a level of curiosity.

I'll be a lot of work getting ready for it, but once it starts it'll be fun. I'm just hoping for good weather. If we get that, the rest is gravy.

Appalled
Appalled

June 23rd, 2012, 4:57 pm #19

Sounds like a great time Caps. I love to throw parties, the more the merrier I say. Here's a suggestion you didn't ask for. Rum Punch! I've been down massive quantities so far this summer...

1 1/2 cups rum
1/4 cup triple sec
Splash of grenadine
6 oz frozen juice concentrate (I like orange/pineapple)
6 oz another frozen concentrate ( I like fruit punch)
Sliced oranges, lemons limes

Make juice according to can, I use ice water. Add in rum and triple sec. Splash grenadine until turns from yucky brown to delish red color. Throw in fruit and serve over ice! I've multiplied it, turns out great!!

Ohh and one year I made pineapple vodka... Bought a big glass drink dispenser, filled it with sliced pineapple, then vodka, had ot refill vodka when the pineapple sopped it up. Kept it for several weeks before the party. Was wonderful!!! Lots of very drunk people who didn't realize how strong it was!!

AnonoPajama
AnonoPajama

June 25th, 2012, 11:59 am #20

They do that pineapple thing at The Capital Grille (upscale steak house on East Coast, at least). I thought it was a jar of sponges on the bar. Turns out - nope. Pineapple for getting drunk with and attempting not to throw up raw oysters in the process. Good times.