Let's talk about the TIME magazine cover

Let's talk about the TIME magazine cover

May 10th, 2012, 10:53 pm #1

Hey ohhhhhh!

'neady
'neady

May 10th, 2012, 10:57 pm #2

Gross. I would never wear those ugly shoes.

Seriously though, I'm all for breast feeding but that's ridiculous.

May 10th, 2012, 11:06 pm #3

That kid's gonna take a lot of flak during middle and highschool for that picture. Can you imagine the bullying Mitt Romney would have inflicted if he knew that kid while he was growing up? I say that mom's being pretty inconsiderate of her childs' future health and wellbeing.

May 10th, 2012, 11:17 pm #4

And they thought high fructose corn syrup was the cause of childhood obesity...

May 10th, 2012, 11:18 pm #5

That kid's gonna take a lot of flak during middle and highschool for that picture. Can you imagine the bullying Mitt Romney would have inflicted if he knew that kid while he was growing up? I say that mom's being pretty inconsiderate of her childs' future health and wellbeing.
Not to mention that kid is like 7 years old. What woman would want to breast feed that long and with teeth!

"Ta Friggin da"

Ginny
Ginny

May 10th, 2012, 11:18 pm #6

Hey ohhhhhh!

This shit bugs me.

ARE YOU MOM ENOUGH?

Like if you don't have a 15 year old hanging off your tit you're less of a mom?

Not everyone breast feeds. God knows not everyone breast feeds to a redonkulous extreme, then acts holier than thou about it.

Nobody
Nobody

May 10th, 2012, 11:33 pm #7

walts asshole

Kathleen
Kathleen

May 11th, 2012, 12:55 am #8

This shit bugs me.

ARE YOU MOM ENOUGH?

Like if you don't have a 15 year old hanging off your tit you're less of a mom?

Not everyone breast feeds. God knows not everyone breast feeds to a redonkulous extreme, then acts holier than thou about it.
I think the article is pretty critical of attachment parenting.

The cover is ridiculous and absolutely intentionally inflammatory.

And kinda gross.

May 11th, 2012, 1:56 am #9

I have a very very good friend who is completely 1 million percent in support of this cover (actually cheering) and still breastfeeds both her boys - ages 4 and 2. She is also an "intactivist" and campaigns loudly and long about her anti-circumcision views.

She has lost a lot of friends on facebook as a result.

I adore her. I respect her. She is one of the very best amazing people I know. But ... I just can't get behind breastfeeding kids past babyhood. I haven't had a discussion with her about it because I respect her right to her opinion.

I had an acquaintance years ago when I was pregnant with my first son. We were having tea in her kitchen and her 5 year old son comes into the kitchen saying "mommy! mommy! I am thirsty" and STARTS.UNBUTTONING.HER.SHIRT. UNBUTTONING HER SHIRT! And she breastfed him right there! And I just... OMG... I sat there stunned.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (tm Ginny)

May 11th, 2012, 2:21 am #10

Hey ohhhhhh!

A summary of what I have found out today:

- apparently, the World Health Organization suggests breast feeding until 2yo. This kid is 3yo.
- most children, if allowed to...detatch ? naturally, do it between 2-7yo.
- apparently, the only "problem" with this photo is North America's objectification of breasts.

- Time magazine just wants to try and sell magazines