Juvenile cardinal at the feeder

Juvenile cardinal at the feeder

June 13th, 2012, 5:10 pm #1

It's a cool time of year for the bird feeder. There's a lot of baby birds, sometimes with the momma, sometimes not. The babies will sit on the fence, puff their feathers out, and cry for food. The mommas will just pick up a seed or whatever and beak it to them. No regurgitation or anything. Which leads me to believe all kids are lazy.

I tried getting some shots of the young cardinal just now for youse guys. I had the flash on like a dope, hence the evil eye. His eyes are just really big and black.

Adourabelle
Adourabelle

June 13th, 2012, 5:17 pm #2

Very nice!

I was surpised at how many Cardinals there are in Hawaii when I was there. That and wild chickens. They don't mention that in the guidebooks.

I am currently at a cottage in Dryden, ON for the next week or so and there are a lot of hummingbirds at the feeders here but for some reason, they have not been feeding. We are going to try and mix up another batch of syrup for them and see if that changes things. It's amazing how small they are. Because I don't see them very often I know they are small but you forget how small!

We saw a Blue Jay yesterday in the bush. I am never quick enough to get a picture of something like that tho.

There are also Loons on this lake. What a wonderful and Canadian sound they are at night. Awesome!

Lisa
Lisa

June 13th, 2012, 5:17 pm #3

It's a cool time of year for the bird feeder. There's a lot of baby birds, sometimes with the momma, sometimes not. The babies will sit on the fence, puff their feathers out, and cry for food. The mommas will just pick up a seed or whatever and beak it to them. No regurgitation or anything. Which leads me to believe all kids are lazy.

I tried getting some shots of the young cardinal just now for youse guys. I had the flash on like a dope, hence the evil eye. His eyes are just really big and black.

Awww, how beautiful, Caps. I love birds, and surprisingly we have quite a few around where I live. Lots of cardinals, which I love to hear. Thanks for sharing!

Aurora
Aurora

June 13th, 2012, 5:18 pm #4

Doh! This is the cardinal that popped into my head

And I was confused as to what kind of feeder he would be at.

Yours makes so much more sense.

Your feeder pics/stories makes me want to put one out again

June 13th, 2012, 5:19 pm #5

Awww, how beautiful, Caps. I love birds, and surprisingly we have quite a few around where I live. Lots of cardinals, which I love to hear. Thanks for sharing!
Neat!

You're a "chick" magnet, Caps. First a turkey now the cardinal.

CapsLock
CapsLock

June 13th, 2012, 5:21 pm #6

Very nice!

I was surpised at how many Cardinals there are in Hawaii when I was there. That and wild chickens. They don't mention that in the guidebooks.

I am currently at a cottage in Dryden, ON for the next week or so and there are a lot of hummingbirds at the feeders here but for some reason, they have not been feeding. We are going to try and mix up another batch of syrup for them and see if that changes things. It's amazing how small they are. Because I don't see them very often I know they are small but you forget how small!

We saw a Blue Jay yesterday in the bush. I am never quick enough to get a picture of something like that tho.

There are also Loons on this lake. What a wonderful and Canadian sound they are at night. Awesome!
A lot of people HATE bluejays around here. Like irrational hatred of a bird. I don't get it. They're kind of jerky birds, but they're just trying to make a living like everyone else.

Their call is awful though. Ugly.

I've never been there, but I always suspected Canada was looney.

Ginny
Ginny

June 13th, 2012, 5:28 pm #7

Doh! This is the cardinal that popped into my head

And I was confused as to what kind of feeder he would be at.

Yours makes so much more sense.

Your feeder pics/stories makes me want to put one out again
I don't hate them, but bluejays are dick birds. They will dive bomb you.

We have pretty cool hawks here, one tried to get Nibbler when she was out on the balcony, though.

CapsLock
CapsLock

June 13th, 2012, 5:35 pm #8

They dive bomb when you're near their nest. I lived in some old lady's backyard when I was in Memphis. There was just a narrow walkway between the main house and a fence to get to my little shack. A blue jay built a nest low in a tree right on the fence line. That sucker would F with me every time I went down the path. It was kinda fun stumbling back from the bar to hear from a pissed of bluejay. I was like a inter-species Andi Capp.

Lisa
Lisa

June 13th, 2012, 7:51 pm #9

I got dive-bombed once by a mockingbird. Those birds are ruthless! I like bluejays. They warn the other birds about predators, and I like their pretty colors. They also are really good at making sound effects. I love when they imitate clotheslines.

June 13th, 2012, 8:29 pm #10

Jays do get a bad rap.

Mostly it's because they hog bird feeders and scare off other pretty birds.

Sure they're pretty themselves, but they're not rare, and if they're bullying all the other birds away from your feeder, you're bound to get pissy with them.