It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

October 18th, 2010, 2:57 am #1

Fucking

Horrid

October 18th, 2010, 10:42 pm #2

It looks super terrible. I love zach but man that thing looks like it comes at you butt first...

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

October 19th, 2010, 2:42 am #3

Honestly I thought it would be watchable, Red Box type material. I'm not even doing it justice. I don't know how to describe how awful it is. Rarely is acting so bad it takes me out of a movie, but fuck.

There is a scene where everyone in the looney bin gathers around for music time, only it fades out and we're treated to the entire cast, in full glam rock costume, lip syncing to Under Pressure in front of cheap pyro.

I mean, it's really, really bad.

October 19th, 2010, 2:10 pm #4

The movie was pretty average - I hadn't seen any previews or anything for it - my kid was into it. I'm just not feeling all this worst. movie. ever. business.

I also thought the end was pretty ballsy - its pretty clear that the Galifinakis character probably didn't have a happy ending after the credits rolled.

As far as the Under Pressure sequence, what is with the sudden popularity of that tune the last couple of years?

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

October 19th, 2010, 5:46 pm #5

"I also thought the end was pretty ballsy - its pretty clear that the Galifinakis character probably didn't have a happy ending after the credits rolled. "

That is precisely why it isn't ballsy.

I get why your kid would have liked it. It's One Flew Over... for junior high kids. And it isn't the worst movie ever, but I still thought it was friggin awful.

October 19th, 2010, 8:10 pm #6

SPOILERS

Considering its target audience I'm not sure having Galfinakas go out back and blow his brains out would have been appropriate - and by leaving it open to interpretation...

not really good enough to put much of an argument into defending it, but yeah.

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

October 19th, 2010, 10:25 pm #7

You don't have to make a graphic scene to make the point. I have no doubt an original draft of this script exists where he is dead, and it was revised because America loves Zach and his character was likable and we aren't mature enough to go out on a bit of a downer. There are several ways to acknowledge what happened without grisly violence.

smirk
smirk

October 19th, 2010, 11:27 pm #8

point taken. Never read the book, but evidently the characters not even in the book.

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

October 20th, 2010, 1:53 am #9

I was talking with my friend I went with who also hated this, and she thinks (and I'm inclined to agree) that what hurts the movie the most is our main protagonist's problems. We immediately tune out as adults (which again is why it may click more with the younger set) because this character has no real problems. The movie drips with this indie/hipster vibe and Hot Topic "problems". It's impossible for any rational adult to see him as anything more than a crybaby. Same for all his friends on the outside. They're all medicated and suffer from "depression". College applications, first crushes, oh my!

How bout the eye rollingly forced scene at the end where his friend comes back to really do him a solid (bringing a record to him)? "Hey man, don't kill yourself, for real! I get that depression stuff too, it's cool!" bro hug

Gag. What's frustrating is that it's so close to reality.

Another ridiculous scene that bothered me that has nothing to do with what I just wrote. What mental ward has some hilarious open door policy where a high school girl can just walk in and start fucking patients?

What a mess.

October 22nd, 2010, 8:34 pm #10

The movie drips with this indie/hipster vibe and Hot Topic "problems".

This, quite possibly, is the best review of a movie ever. Love it!