Is this racist?

Is this racist?

Appalled
Appalled

February 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm #1

Seen on pinterest.... A woman wearing sugar skull makeup and a bunch of "Love it!" comments and one comment that says "it's racist!" With this link

http://nuestrahermana.tumblr.com/post/1 ... lloween-by

So, racist? What do you think xica?

February 7th, 2012, 2:17 pm #2

It might be culturally insensitive, but it's not racist.

I guess it is sort of a good sign that overt racism has become rare enough for people to so often mistake the mildly offensive or insensitive for racist.

February 7th, 2012, 2:59 pm #3

Hrmm. I say no, even to the culturally insensitive. Halloween costumes are meant to mimic things you see in the world all year long. I say this is fair game and is an homage not a degredation.

Of course there are limits, but it's not like white face or being a cigar store Indian at all.

AnonoBoom
AnonoBoom

February 7th, 2012, 3:24 pm #4

Please explain why it isn't, SB. I really want to know.

I find appropriating a culture that you have no idea about (or only a vague knowledge) to be culturally insensitive. But then I'm overly sensitive to even people in the States being all "kiss me I'm Irish Erin Go Bragh!" when they know nothing about Irish history aside from the fact that their last name starts with a Mac or an O'.

February 7th, 2012, 3:26 pm #5

Do I hear the wind blowing?

Arwen
Arwen

February 7th, 2012, 3:43 pm #6

HONESTLY! People really will complain about anything and everything.

Should I stop telling people I am Serbian because I don't know everything about the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand? Sorry, wiki tells me his full title is Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. Or stop telling people I am Canadian because I don't know everything about Louis Riel?

Does everything have to be racist these days?

February 7th, 2012, 3:46 pm #7

Kiss my half Irish, half Sicilian ass, Anonobomb!

February 7th, 2012, 3:50 pm #8

Man Troo, no wonder you're a drunken mobster.

February 7th, 2012, 3:53 pm #9

Only on the weekends now. :D

February 7th, 2012, 3:55 pm #10

Seen on pinterest.... A woman wearing sugar skull makeup and a bunch of "Love it!" comments and one comment that says "it's racist!" With this link

http://nuestrahermana.tumblr.com/post/1 ... lloween-by

So, racist? What do you think xica?
I don't see how it's any more racist or inappropriate than a non-Christian dressing up as the Easter bunny or Santa Claus. They're all just fun symbols of the blending of religious and local customs. Dressing up like a Muslim cleric or Jesus, bloodied and crucified would cross the line into cultural insensitivity, but still wouldn't qualify as racist, in my opinion. Should people stop allowing their daughters to dress like princesses because they are not actual royalty? People can find reasons to be offended if they want to be offended.