Into The Abyss

Into The Abyss

smirk
smirk

April 19th, 2012, 11:48 am #1

Mrs. was nearly half-way through this new addition to Netflix Instant when I joined her. So good, after it was over I started it over and watched the first half.

Werner Herzog's straight-up "death penalty" documentary (as opposed to his not-so-straight-up "Grizzly Man" and out-right fake doc, "Incident at Lochness") had me rapt. Evidently, this 90 minute movie was cut from only 8 hours of film, which is pretty impressive.

It stands with "Dead Man Walking" as one of the great anti-death penalty screeds in that the main character is pretty darn unsympathetic. He's a weasel and at least I was pretty ho-hum about whether or not he was executed, which leaves the viewer to face the issue as a purely moral one, as in, even if someone deserves to die, does the state really have the right to execute him.

But its also more than a "death penalty" movie. Its about a crime, about a town, and about real people and the rippling effects of 3 murders. At times heartbreaking, as the movie winds down it culminates in an interview with an actual Texas executioner who has participated in over 100 executions. The movie is worth a watch just for his amazing ten minute interview.

Smirkdirk
Smirkdirk

April 19th, 2012, 2:07 pm #2

A side note: If you watch this movie you will meet the wife of one of the murderer's who met and married him after he was given his life sentence. She's a strange lady, and she's evidently commenting over at the imdb message boards.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1972663/boa ... /190853331